Smokefire EX4 vs EX6 {poll}

What SmokeFire Grill are you buying?

• SmokeFire EX4

Votes: 23 36.5%
  • SmokeFire EX6

Votes: 40 63.5%

• Total voters
EX6 all the way. Got 3 little dragons, the Mother of dragons and a dog. Thats not counting the guests/neighbors sniffing around for some BBQ goodness. Plus Im the type of guy that says "If I gotta smoke one butt for 16 hours to feed us, I may as well throw another one on there for family, friends and coworkers."

FYI, you can cook more than one butt on an EX4. You can cook two whole turkeys+ as well.

FYI, you can cook more than one butt on an EX4. You can cook two whole turkeys+ as well.

Oh I gotcha and your right. I should have been more transparent/detailed..........I cannot cook 2 full sized butts and a packer Brisket at the same time on the EX4 like I can on the EX6, which is similar in size to my last 2 pellet grills.

Oh I gotcha and your right. I should have been more transparent/detailed..........I cannot cook 2 full sized butts and a packer Brisket at the same time on the EX4 like I can on the EX6, which is similar in size to my last 2 pellet grills.

That’s a test I’ll have to try! Two butts on the bottom and a packer up top. Bottom line is if you need to cook a ton of food go with the EX6.

EX6 for me and here's why ...see pic. I cook this amount every 2 weeks and it takes a long time on my spirit 2 gasser with a kamado for backup. Did it all at once today on the 6 and cut my time in half. Just need to learn the hot zones but it will work fine as a regular grill. Cant wait to sear a steak. And do some ribs. And smoke a turkey. And do some jerky. And a brisket. And a pork belly. And some bacon. Did I leave anything out? 😃

Attachments

• 20200213_180317.jpg
    20200213_180317.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 297
EX6 for me and here's why ...see pic. I cook this amount every 2 weeks and it takes a long time on my spirit 2 gasser with a kamado for backup. Did it all at once today on the 6 and cut my time in half. Just need to learn the hot zones but it will work fine as a regular grill. Cant wait to sear a steak. And do some ribs. And smoke a turkey. And do some jerky. And a brisket. And a pork belly. And some bacon. Did I leave anything out? 😃
Many people are talking about the right side burning hotter... I can see the flame is more prominent on the right in your beautiful picture. Would you share your thoughts on that subject please? Is it an issue for you?

Brian when do you finally get yours?
I ordered from Weber yesterday morning and by afternoon it is heading for the delivery dock here in CA. I estimate maybe this Thursday. I am a late comer to things. In fairness to Amazon IF I had kept my place in line and not canceled my preorder I may have already gotten it, but I felt better going straight to Weber. So about a week from order to delivery. I will post when I get it for sure.

From what I noticed, the hottest spot was to the left of the center burner, and another hot spot was the far left. On my grill the far right side was the coolest spot, especially the far right top shelf. It was 24 degrees at cook time so that might play a part. There was a slight breeze but not too bad. My observations were not very scientific. I was just trying to get everything on as fast as I could and didn't open the lid very often due to the cold.

Many people are talking about the right side burning hotter... I can see the flame is more prominent on the right in your beautiful picture. Would you share your thoughts on that subject please? Is it an issue for you?
Brian, I just posted a reply to your question but didn't use the the post reply button. That was to you.

From what I noticed, the hottest spot was to the left of the center burner, and another hot spot was the far left. On my grill the far right side was the coolest spot, especially the far right top shelf. It was 24 degrees at cook time so that might play a part. There was a slight breeze but not too bad. My observations were not very scientific. I was just trying to get everything on as fast as I could and didn't open the lid very often due to the cold.
Got the post... You know I am wondering if the fan is misaligned and/or putting out too much air. The good news is that both of those scenarios can be dealt with. The first manually and the second one is a software related fix. I am guessing... I do a lot of that. I work and do guesswork on the side, not much money it though. Just a hobby. hehe

That’s a test I’ll have to try! Two butts on the bottom and a packer up top. Bottom line is if you need to cook a ton of food go with the EX6.

Jackie - is there a reason you prefer butts on bottom and brisket up top? I think most do the reverse for various reasons - some prefer the pork (which has a more delicate flavor) to drip on the beef. My personal reason to put the pork on top is that the top part of a smoker is generally hotter, and pork has a longer stall, so it helps cut down time a little.

Got the post... You know I am wondering if the fan is misaligned and/or putting out too much air. The good news is that both of those scenarios can be dealt with. The first manually and the second one is a software related fix. I am guessing... I do a lot of that. I work and do guesswork on the side, not much money it though. Just a hobby. hehe
That got me thinking, IIRC the heat deflector under the big center flavorizer bar does not have a definite left/right position. It could be set slightly left or slightly right which might account for my grill being hotter on the left side while many are reporting their grills are hotter on the right???

That got me thinking, IIRC the heat deflector under the big center flavorizer bar does not have a definite left/right position. It could be set slightly left or slightly right which might account for my grill being hotter on the left side while many are reporting their grills are hotter on the right???
It makes sense. I will know more when I have one to get my hands on. The good news is that life is just a multiplied series of small adjustments!

I’ve used mine with a smoke tube to smoke cheese….

Latest Discussions

Back