Buying a new SF - Will all "fixes" be applied?

gemini929

Reaction score
I read about all of the "fixes" that have been applied to the SF over time. Are we at a point now where if I buy a new SF all of the modified parts will come out of the box or do you still have to work through weber support to get them?

I read about all of the "fixes" that have been applied to the SF over time. Are we at a point now where if I buy a new SF all of the modified parts will come out of the box or do you still have to work through weber support to get them?
I’d tell Weber you want the welded Black chute Installed before they send it. Everything else is easy, you can add the hopper ramp and gain a little more slide or leave it out and keep 22 pound capacity, everything else is software or firmware updates.
Personally I have 2 hopper ramps, one by Weber and one by ‘“the fire ring guy” they both are sitting in my garage, I don’t mind checking pellets every 8 hours.

Last edited:
I ordered my EX4 in mid-June and picked it up July 2nd in a box. Not sure of the manufacture date, but I am guessing sometime in May, based on the invoice information the local garden center dealer, from whom we purchased it, showed me.

it had the revision “F” motor and welded auger chute installed plus the new stainless steel hopper ramp came in a separate box. After an hour or so of assembly, another 20 minutes or so of updating the firmware and software, it worked flawlessly the first time, and continues to work just fine the 3 or 4 times a week I have used it since.

just a suggestion: Some of the Big Box store suppliers might have older, not updated, manufactured inventory in stock due to the earlier issues and the slowed sales. That is one reason I bought from a local garden center which I know refreshes inventory as it sells. If I was to do it again, I would buy either directly from them, Weber, or one of several local independent hardware stores in my area as opposed to a Lowe’s, etc. Given what I consider excellent customer service from Weber over the past 25 years, they are where you turn to for support anyway.

I think the black welded chute is the most important. I have the slide in mine (EX4) but am thinking about taking it out. I removed the wire finger guard and I feel like it made more of a difference in the pellets feeding than the slide.

I have been lucky I guess. I have a first edition EX4 and have been been using it for 7 months now with no issues. Many briskets, pork butts, belly, beef plate ribs, wings etc.... even some prime rib roasts and a variety of steaks. I use aluminum drip pans and clean every 4-5 cooks. After each cook I run to 600 degrees for 10 minutes and then shutdown. So far it’s been great, no hassles other than I do check the pellets and reposition once in a while to ensure proper flow.

Got mine Thursday and it seems they are . I’m not sure about the hopper ramp but it looks like i have the welded auger . Also didn’t have to do any updates . Has worked great so far

Yes.

Last week a guy from Weber was at my home for replacing the auger (mine was going backwards after a while but not everytime). I also got a new ramp for my EX4 and since then I a got no problem with my pellets.

It's been about 45 days since the last post in this thread, so I'm bumping it. Has anyone received their SF directly from Weber in the last couple of weeks, and if so, were all the modifications made at the factory?

Thank you!

It's been about 45 days since the last post in this thread, so I'm bumping it. Has anyone received their SF directly from Weber in the last couple of weeks, and if so, were all the modifications made at the factory?

Thank you!
Asked and answered.

All fixes have been applied for quite a while now. The software / firmware stuff is always evolving and does so with every brand. I am not sure you can buy one directly from Weber or anyone else right now though as they are in the middle of a reboot of sorts as I understand the situation. I have been told to expect new product in about a month. Happy grilling!

Asked and answered.

All fixes have been applied for quite a while now. The software / firmware stuff is always evolving and does so with every brand. I am not sure you can buy one directly from Weber or anyone else right now though as they are in the middle of a reboot of sorts as I understand the situation. I have been told to expect new product in about a month. Happy grilling!
Thanks for the info. New product in a month or so? As in SF Ver. 2.0? Is this directly from Weber?

I'm actually planning on purchasing an EX6 around the beginning of November for delivery around mid-month. But if a new grill is in the works, obviously it would behoove me to wait a bit.

Thanks for the info. New product in a month or so? As in SF Ver. 2.0? Is this directly from Weber?

I'm actually planning on purchasing an EX6 around the beginning of November for delivery around mid-month. But if a new grill is in the works, obviously it would behoove me to wait a bit.
I’m not sure how many tweaks or changes are being made, but I would wait until it’s out at this point. Assuming it’s not delayed for months. I’ve heard rumor that it would be ready by November. Keep in mind however that lots of grill manufacturers miss launch dates. We will see. I suppose if you could get some sorta smoking hot deal on the current version that’d be great too. I love my EX4. Very unified grilling experience. Good luck!

I bought my ex6 a few weeks ago hit up weber and they promptly sent out the new auger and ramp tho i have yet to install and have done quite a few cooks including a 21hr brisket

Anything direct from Weber or that is not Really old stock will be fully outfitted.

I’m not sure how many tweaks or changes are being made, but I would wait until it’s out at this point. Assuming it’s not delayed for months. I’ve heard rumor that it would be ready by November. Keep in mind however that lots of grill manufacturers miss launch dates. We will see. I suppose if you could get some sorta smoking hot deal on the current version that’d be great too. I love my EX4. Very unified grilling experience. Good luck!
Tell me more, you hear an upgraded version is on its way at the end of the year?

Latest Discussions

Back