Buying a new SF - Will all "fixes" be applied?

gemini929

Reaction score
I read about all of the "fixes" that have been applied to the SF over time. Are we at a point now where if I buy a new SF all of the modified parts will come out of the box or do you still have to work through weber support to get them?

Bruno

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
I read about all of the "fixes" that have been applied to the SF over time. Are we at a point now where if I buy a new SF all of the modified parts will come out of the box or do you still have to work through weber support to get them?
I’d tell Weber you want the welded Black chute Installed before they send it. Everything else is easy, you can add the hopper ramp and gain a little more slide or leave it out and keep 22 pound capacity, everything else is software or firmware updates.
Personally I have 2 hopper ramps, one by Weber and one by ‘“the fire ring guy” they both are sitting in my garage, I don’t mind checking pellets every 8 hours.

Last edited:

Dassman5

Reaction score
I ordered my EX4 in mid-June and picked it up July 2nd in a box. Not sure of the manufacture date, but I am guessing sometime in May, based on the invoice information the local garden center dealer, from whom we purchased it, showed me.

it had the revision “F” motor and welded auger chute installed plus the new stainless steel hopper ramp came in a separate box. After an hour or so of assembly, another 20 minutes or so of updating the firmware and software, it worked flawlessly the first time, and continues to work just fine the 3 or 4 times a week I have used it since.

just a suggestion: Some of the Big Box store suppliers might have older, not updated, manufactured inventory in stock due to the earlier issues and the slowed sales. That is one reason I bought from a local garden center which I know refreshes inventory as it sells. If I was to do it again, I would buy either directly from them, Weber, or one of several local independent hardware stores in my area as opposed to a Lowe’s, etc. Given what I consider excellent customer service from Weber over the past 25 years, they are where you turn to for support anyway.

abmet

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
I think the black welded chute is the most important. I have the slide in mine (EX4) but am thinking about taking it out. I removed the wire finger guard and I feel like it made more of a difference in the pellets feeding than the slide.

JRWoodman

Reaction score
I have been lucky I guess. I have a first edition EX4 and have been been using it for 7 months now with no issues. Many briskets, pork butts, belly, beef plate ribs, wings etc.... even some prime rib roasts and a variety of steaks. I use aluminum drip pans and clean every 4-5 cooks. After each cook I run to 600 degrees for 10 minutes and then shutdown. So far it’s been great, no hassles other than I do check the pellets and reposition once in a while to ensure proper flow.

Wismokes

Reaction score
Got mine Thursday and it seems they are . I’m not sure about the hopper ramp but it looks like i have the welded auger . Also didn’t have to do any updates . Has worked great so far

stef_s

Reaction score
Last week a guy from Weber was at my home for replacing the auger (mine was going backwards after a while but not everytime). I also got a new ramp for my EX4 and since then I a got no problem with my pellets.

G_Gryphon

Reaction score
It's been about 45 days since the last post in this thread, so I'm bumping it. Has anyone received their SF directly from Weber in the last couple of weeks, and if so, were all the modifications made at the factory?

Thank you!

JpsBBQ

Reaction score
It's been about 45 days since the last post in this thread, so I'm bumping it. Has anyone received their SF directly from Weber in the last couple of weeks, and if so, were all the modifications made at the factory?

Thank you!
Asked and answered.

All fixes have been applied for quite a while now. The software / firmware stuff is always evolving and does so with every brand. I am not sure you can buy one directly from Weber or anyone else right now though as they are in the middle of a reboot of sorts as I understand the situation. I have been told to expect new product in about a month. Happy grilling!

G_Gryphon

Reaction score
Asked and answered.

All fixes have been applied for quite a while now. The software / firmware stuff is always evolving and does so with every brand. I am not sure you can buy one directly from Weber or anyone else right now though as they are in the middle of a reboot of sorts as I understand the situation. I have been told to expect new product in about a month. Happy grilling!
Thanks for the info. New product in a month or so? As in SF Ver. 2.0? Is this directly from Weber?

I'm actually planning on purchasing an EX6 around the beginning of November for delivery around mid-month. But if a new grill is in the works, obviously it would behoove me to wait a bit.

JpsBBQ

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. New product in a month or so? As in SF Ver. 2.0? Is this directly from Weber?

I'm actually planning on purchasing an EX6 around the beginning of November for delivery around mid-month. But if a new grill is in the works, obviously it would behoove me to wait a bit.
I’m not sure how many tweaks or changes are being made, but I would wait until it’s out at this point. Assuming it’s not delayed for months. I’ve heard rumor that it would be ready by November. Keep in mind however that lots of grill manufacturers miss launch dates. We will see. I suppose if you could get some sorta smoking hot deal on the current version that’d be great too. I love my EX4. Very unified grilling experience. Good luck!

98sporttj

Reaction score
I bought my ex6 a few weeks ago hit up weber and they promptly sent out the new auger and ramp tho i have yet to install and have done quite a few cooks including a 21hr brisket

Bruno

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
I’m not sure how many tweaks or changes are being made, but I would wait until it’s out at this point. Assuming it’s not delayed for months. I’ve heard rumor that it would be ready by November. Keep in mind however that lots of grill manufacturers miss launch dates. We will see. I suppose if you could get some sorta smoking hot deal on the current version that’d be great too. I love my EX4. Very unified grilling experience. Good luck!
Tell me more, you hear an upgraded version is on its way at the end of the year?

Dassman5

Reaction score
Tell me more, you hear an upgraded version is on its way at the end of the year?
The last discussion I had with Weber, which was a couple of weeks ago was that the “ upgraded” version was those units that Weber took back from dealer inventory to install the items like a welded auger assembly, chute insert, a spare glow plug, and updated firmware and software; etc.; something that they were doing to refresh their inventory to match the updates already provided to all owners of record..

From my perspective that is a smart move by Weber, as it will bring all dealer inventory current and eliminate the costly piecemeal shipping of pieces to individual owners. Quite frankly, from my perspective that is a smart business...

JpsBBQ

Reaction score
I don’t believe that’s what is happening. The second run of SF all had the ramps and welded chutes already installed.
It’s something more and possibly slightly different. I’ve heard there is some tweaking to the hopper, auger, and fire pot possible. Hard to say for sure as those in the know are very tight lipped.

TexB

Reaction score
I bought an EX6 3 weeks ago from Amazon for the 12 mo financing. It has a February build date, but has a Rev.F motor. No black welded chute. So I called weber to request all updated parts. After 30 minutes waiting to talk to someone, they offered to send me a hopper slide and some free pellets, but wouldn't send any other parts unless I have a problem first. What was actually delivered was the pellet slide (the 7" long slide from the auger to the firepot) not the hopper insert, so that was a bit of a wasted call and I haven't called back yet.

I did all firmware updates before using it and it works pretty well. I've done brisket, pork butts, pizzas, burgers.. I've gone through 160 lbs of pellets in three weeks, and it cooks great.. but I do get ash everywhere. Only about 25% of the ash makes it into the drawer.. the rest is in the cooker and some on the food. A couple days ago the hopper got low on pellets when cooking at 600°, and I did a shutdown. I started to get some burn back during the shutdown and I think it's related to the airgaps in the auger when I ran low. I slid more pellets down into the auger hole, and the smoked stopped coming out from the auger and the burn back stopped.

Anyways, all this to say I just bought in September from Amazon and got a February grill with no real hardware updates. When I bought it, Weber replied to my Amazon question and stated it wasn't going to be updated with hardware, and when I called customer service, they refused to send me any parts (other than the hopper insert) unless I have a problem. I'm not really sure where I stand with what my grill is supposed to have vs what the newer grills are going to come with. I don't really like thinking I waited for the bugs to be worked out, and ended up with an older grill when others are getting something designed to be better. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Dassman5

Reaction score
I bought an EX6 3 weeks ago from Amazon for the 12 mo financing. It has a February build date, but has a Rev.F motor. No black welded chute. So I called weber to request all updated parts. After 30 minutes waiting to talk to someone, they offered to send me a hopper slide and some free pellets, but wouldn't send any other parts unless I have a problem first. What was actually delivered was the pellet slide (the 7" long slide from the auger to the firepot) not the hopper insert, so that was a bit of a wasted call and I haven't called back yet.

I did all firmware updates before using it and it works pretty well. I've done brisket, pork butts, pizzas, burgers.. I've gone through 160 lbs of pellets in three weeks, and it cooks great.. but I do get ash everywhere. Only about 25% of the ash makes it into the drawer.. the rest is in the cooker and some on the food. A couple days ago the hopper got low on pellets when cooking at 600°, and I did a shutdown. I started to get some burn back during the shutdown and I think it's related to the airgaps in the auger when I ran low. I slid more pellets down into the auger hole, and the smoked stopped coming out from the auger and the burn back stopped.

Anyways, all this to say I just bought in September from Amazon and got a February grill with no real hardware updates. When I bought it, Weber replied to my Amazon question and stated it wasn't going to be updated with hardware, and when I called customer service, they refused to send me any parts (other than the hopper insert) unless I have a problem. I'm not really sure where I stand with what my grill is supposed to have vs what the newer grills are going to come with. I don't really like thinking I waited for the bugs to be worked out, and ended up with an older grill when others are getting something designed to be better. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Part of the reason that Weber hesitates to sent out the welded auger assembly is that plenty of owners, myself included, have units with the original two piece auger housing with gasket, and have never had an issue. ( I have over 69 trouble free cooks on my EX4, and it was built in March and purchased in June.). If you look at the evolving experience of most owners, it is the often issued firmware and software updates that are far more important to the SF performance, than the hopper insert ( I installed mine simply because it came in a separate box when I picked it up, but doubt it does much.

As for your experience during cooking, the most likely problem with the old two piece chute has to do with the gasket, which can deteriorate over time, creating gaps between the chute and the auger, resulting in slower heat-up times and trouble achieving the ever-elusive 600F. The gasket can also start to separate and shred over time, which can impede pellet flow to the auger. Also, if you have to dissemble the auger assembly frequently to remove dust or blockages, the gasket can also become unglued and no longer seat properly; thereby impacting performance.

if you are having any of these issues ( I had the gasket come unglued), you need to call Weber, describe the problem and I am sure they will provide a new welded auger assembly. This did for me, but while waiting to receive it I had some high-temp gasket glued that I used to get back running. The welded assembly is now awaiting installation when I find the time.

Last edited:

JpsBBQ

Reaction score

return it and don’t buy one from Amazon. That’s old stock. I have no idea what Weber’s contracts are with Amazon, but Weber has been selling Smokefire that are updated out of the box for months now at retailers.