Weber quality control

I think already went through 6 glowplugs. When I bought it (february) had no problems at all. Glow plug problems started around april. Last two glow plugs worked for about 2,5 weeks. My neighbor has the same problem. Luckily we can use each other's spare glowplug when it stops working. Still annoying that one of my cooking tools that I always have next to the ex4 is a screwdriver 😂
Wow that seems like a problem. I’m still on my original one, though probably only 20 to 30 cooks on it. With how much they charge for them I was hoping they would last a while.

Wow that seems like a problem. I’m still on my original one, though probably only 20 to 30 cooks on it. With how much they charge for them I was hoping they would last a while.
It's obviously not a universal problem. I am still using my original glowplug, and I've started the grill at least 100-125 times (just estimating on the 4 1/2 months of ownership x 4-5 times per week I've used the grill). I would assume that if that user has gone through 6, the support should be looking at root causes as to why, personally I would be doing the same. Jetranger posted a picture earlier in this thread with a hoseclamp on the ground attachment...that would be the first place I looked if I were having glowplug problems.

I am also holding out hope that someone finds the part number that can be cross referenced to the automotive world...I'd like to be able to buy one from napa/oreilly's/whatever

**edited to correct my cook estimate, brain wasn't working apparently :)

Last edited:
It's obviously not a universal problem. I am still using my original glowplug, and I've started the grill at least 25 times (just estimating on the 4 1/2 months of ownership x 4-5 times per week I've used the grill). I would assume that if that user has gone through 6, the support should be looking at root causes as to why, personally I would be doing the same. Jetranger posted a picture earlier in this thread with a hoseclamp on the ground attachment...that would be the first place I looked if I were having glowplug problems.

I am also holding out hope that someone finds the part number that can be cross referenced to the automotive world...I'd like to be able to buy one from napa/oreilly's/whatever
Yeah I have probably 50 cooks and I'm on my original plug. Wonder if you can take the plug into an auto parts store and try to match it up? What would be the key electrical properties, voltage? resistance? I'm guessing these are alternating current?

Yeah I have probably 50 cooks and I'm on my original plug. Wonder if you can take the plug into an auto parts store and try to match it up? What would be the key electrical properties, voltage? resistance? I'm guessing these are alternating current?
I read somewhere that the SF glowplugs are 24v and apparently that isn't common? Most automotive would be designed to run at 12v I would guess...but I don't know anything about the diesel world.

Still waiting on mine. When did you order? Maybe you are in front of me in line.

Mine were ordered June 6. Customer Service placed the order in response to my letting them know my glow plug igniter was still aligned correctly. I'm going to get a #4 SS hose clamp as suggested by JetRanger above. I can't find where I read it, but I've seen an article or FAQ saying the grounding wire could be causing the problems, even if it appears to be in good contact. From other posts I've read, some think the grounding wire losing "good" contact may caused when brushing the grills. I know I get a lot of shaking & movement.

Mine were ordered June 6. Customer Service placed the order in response to my letting them know my glow plug igniter was still aligned correctly. I'm going to get a #4 SS hose clamp as suggested by JetRanger above. I can't find where I read it, but I've seen an article or FAQ saying the grounding wire could be causing the problems, even if it appears to be in good contact. From other posts I've read, some think the grounding wire losing "good" contact may caused when brushing the grills. I know I get a lot of shaking & movement.

Have to Laugh! JetRanger IS the source of defining the glow plug igniter comments.

I read somewhere that the SF glowplugs are 24v and apparently that isn't common? Most automotive would be designed to run at 12v I would guess...but I don't know anything about the diesel world.
Yeah I’ve tried to find them online. Mine have markings of TY 24V 1941. I’ve searched and so far no luck finding the same one on any auto or diesel site that I’ve tried. I assume the 24V equates to 24V. I did see someone else post that theirs was TY 24V 1938 (I think that’s what they said).

It's obviously not a universal problem. I am still using my original glowplug, and I've started the grill at least 25 times (just estimating on the 4 1/2 months of ownership x 4-5 times per week I've used the grill). I would assume that if that user has gone through 6, the support should be looking at root causes as to why, personally I would be doing the same. Jetranger posted a picture earlier in this thread with a hoseclamp on the ground attachment...that would be the first place I looked if I were having glowplug problems.

It actually is. That's why they are all on backorder. The guy I talked too said they thought the wire connecting to the plug gives the issue. Have a new one of that in now aswell. I'm already easy over a 150 cooks. Seems with the update before the last one the problems started.

PSA All - DO NOT use any 12V glow plugs in the SmokeFire .. There is some banter going back and forth on Facebook that the Ford 7.3L Powerstroke plugs will work as they are the same size. Problem is they are 12V .. When you put a 12V in a 24V circuit, like the SmokeFire, amp draw doubles. This causes the motherboard to blow out. I have first hand knowledge of a user that tried this and fried the motherboard.

DO NOT use 12V plugs in SmokeFire .. I hear the plan is for Weber to distribute the plug through normal retail channels in the future. Until now, calling Weber and getting it from them is the only solution ... If yours dies you can light the grill with a torch or lighter cube/tumbleweed in the burn pot. That will get you going until you can get a plug.

The problem with the glow plugs burning out is a ground tab that loosens up. The tension between the tab and plug drops, the ground gets weak, the resistance goes up, and the plug burns out. A member of another group came up with a fix where you install a small #4 stainless hose clamp around the ground tab and plug body. Never had an issue since. Here is what it looks like.
View attachment 971

I would love to try that, problem is I CANT GET A RESPONSE FROM WEBER TO ORDER A FRIGGIN GLOW PLUG!!! never going to buy ANYTHING weber again!

I had the best luck trying to call as soon as they open 7am CST. Last time I did that I waited 5 minutes. Give that a try.

Don't bother emailing, no responses (or very delayed) through email.

I would love to try that, problem is I CANT GET A RESPONSE FROM WEBER TO ORDER A FRIGGIN GLOW PLUG!!! never going to buy ANYTHING weber again!

Give them a break!! They are just coming out of lockdown, CSRs are working from home still. People have been grilling more than ever while being stuck at home. Their customer service / parts traffic is 4X the norm for this time of year. They are doing the best they can to accommodate. I hear the email que is tens of thousands of emails deep. Try calling early in the morning or use the call back feature.

In the meantime you can manually light your grill with a torch, lighter cube, or tumbleweed. Or, you can just sit around and complain and be unhappy. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Latest Discussions

Back