Glow Plug Replacement

Yoda

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire EX6
Wondering if anyone knows how often you should change the glow plug? I have had my EX6, for 13 months and do a lot of long cooks, a lot of briskets. The EX6 came with 2 replacements and I have never changed the original. I am afraid it may wear out in a middle of a cook? Manual says you get a notification, but does not indicate how long you have after you get the notification?

Wondering if anyone knows how often you should change the glow plug? I have had my EX6, for 13 months and do a lot of long cooks, a lot of briskets. The EX6 came with 2 replacements and I have never changed the original. I am afraid it may wear out in a middle of a cook? Manual says you get a notification, but does not indicate how long you have after you get the notification?
It should last years and years. It should only fail on startup and this should be extremely rare. The notification is simply a nuisance alert. Mine alerted me a year ago. I went into the controls and removed the alert.

It should last years and years. It should only fail on startup and this should be extremely rare. The notification is simply a nuisance alert. Mine alerted me a year ago. I went into the controls and removed the alert.
Great to know. I also seen another thread that it is only used at startup which I didn't realize. Since they sent 2 or 3 replacements with the smoker, I expected them to be a fast consumable.

Great to know. I also seen another thread that it is only used at startup which I didn't realize. Since they sent 2 or 3 replacements with the smoker, I expected them to be a fast consumable.
I’ve cooked on pellet grills for years and never replaced one of my own personal glow plugs. I have friends who have replaced theirs but it was after years of heavy use. I think they possibly had some defective units and / or installation problems that caused issues early on, but that seems to have been rectified.

I think they started including extras due to some people experiencing premature failures. It’s important that glow plug gets seated well and makes good connection.
I replaced mine after 2 years or so. I got the warning for few months before I finally replaced it. I probably should have waited until it actually failed.

I think they started including extras due to some people experiencing premature failures. It’s important that glow plug gets seated well and makes good connection.
I replaced mine after 2 years or so. I got the warning for few months before I finally replaced it. I probably should have waited until it actually failed.
This is spot on advice.

Latest Discussions

Back