Yo & Hello

Corners

Reaction score
Grill
Still looking
Newbie here. Senile gray haired old man who just got rid of my Treager, Timberline 850 grill and now thinking about buying the Webber EX 6?? Any help appreciated with it and how is Webber’s tech support??

Hi Corners,

I bought an EX6 in February so I've been on the ride since nearly the beginning. Some owners experienced a rough start. These problems were caused by not-great software, poorly designed/assembled parts and unrealistic expectations.
FWIW - I have cooked on my EX6 4-5x per week since February and I have loved it since the beginning.

Weber has updated the software/firmware of the grill and the consensus seems to be that the improvements have been dramatic.

Weber has developed updated parts for the users who got the crappy parts (mine is bone stock and works perfectly, so this is not a universal problem)

It seems to me that the primary contributor to success/failure seems to be ensuring your remove the finger guard that exists inside the pellet hopper. I removed it day 1 and have had ZERO problems feeding pellets. Another contributor seems to be pellet quality. Weber makes good pellets, but they're expensive. Lumberjack is what I use exclusively and they're roughly half the cost when you buy them on sale. Pellets of larger diameter seem to have more problems than the smaller diameter pellets (like weber and LJ)

I like mine so much (and brag on it constatly) that a friend recently bought one on my recommendation. I think the $200 price drop is a no-brainer. If you're in the market for one, buy it. If mine were to blow away in a tornado tomorrow, I wouldn't even shop around for another grill. I would, without hesitation, buy another ex6. That's how much I like mine.

I can't comment on customer support, I've never had to call them. From the stories I've read on this board and others, the support is great...but you have to call them. Don't email. Some stories of long hold times, but apparently CS is working from home during the covid so I think some allowances should be made for that...

Last edited:
To add on previous post; customer service here (Canada) is pretty good. Always a call back within 20 minutes. Everything I needed replaced they shipped it to me for free. Even stuff I didn't need lol.

I had it since February aswell. Had my up and downs with the glowplugs. Laying that aside this machine is awesome!

If mine would die I would probably go for a Rec Tec just to see how that experience is. (This is my first smoker) and I think the rectec looks a little bit cooler lol😂

To add on previous post; customer service here (Canada) is pretty good. Always a call back within 20 minutes. Everything I needed replaced they shipped it to me for free. Even stuff I didn't need lol.

I had it since February aswell. Had my up and downs with the glowplugs. Laying that aside this machine is awesome!

If mine would die I would probably go for a Rec Tec just to see how that experience is. (This is my first smoker) and I think the rectec looks a little bit cooler lol😂

I can't say one way or another comparing rectec and the wsf as I've never used a rectec. (and this is my first pellet grill as well)

However, I think the two aren't really comparable as they're not the same thing. I became interested in the wsf because I wanted one grill that could do everything. Prior to the wsf, pellet grills could smoke pretty well, but they weren't great at grilling. The rectec is no exception. Yes, you can buy grillgrates to help grill, but my opinion is that the weber is revolutionary in that it can do both, and do a pretty damn good job of both. Besides, I'm not a fan of the horns lol...they're faaaaaar too 'truck nutz‘ for me...and I'm a Texan!

I believe the other manufs are going to be scrambling to come up with their own heat diffuser-less design now that weber has shown it can be done.

One thing that has surprised me was to hear about the length of time necessary to start some of the other grills. I read a yoder owner talking about a 45 minute time to reach 350!!! I think that because the weber is able to reach such high heats, it's also able to startup faster. Mine reached smoking temps (225-275) in about 8 minutes, and hits 600 in 17-18 minutes

Newbie here. Senile gray haired old man who just got rid of my Treager, Timberline 850 grill and now thinking about buying the Webber EX 6?? Any help appreciated with it and how is Webber’s tech support??
Hi Corners,

I bought an EX6 in February so I've been on the ride since nearly the beginning. Some owners experienced a rough start. These problems were caused by not-great software, poorly designed/assembled parts and unrealistic expectations.
FWIW - I have cooked on my EX6 4-5x per week since February and I have loved it since the beginning.

Weber has updated the software/firmware of the grill and the consensus seems to be that the improvements have been dramatic.

Weber has developed updated parts for the users who got the crappy parts (mine is bone stock and works perfectly, so this is not a universal problem)

It seems to me that the primary contributor to success/failure seems to be ensuring your remove the finger guard that exists inside the pellet hopper. I removed it day 1 and have had ZERO problems feeding pellets. Another contributor seems to be pellet quality. Weber makes good pellets, but they're expensive. Lumberjack is what I use exclusively and they're roughly half the cost when you buy them on sale. Pellets of larger diameter seem to have more problems than the smaller diameter pellets (like weber and LJ)

I like mine so much (and brag on it constatly) that a friend recently bought one on my recommendation. I think the $200 price drop is a no-brainer. If you're in the market for one, buy it. If mine were to blow away in a tornado tomorrow, I wouldn't even shop around for another grill. I would, without hesitation, buy another ex6. That's how much I like mine.

I can't comment on customer support, I've never had to call them. From the stories I've read on this board and others, the support is great...but you have to call them. Don't email. Some stories of long hold times, but apparently CS is working from home during the covid so I think some allowances should be made for that...
Many TKS. When I read a review such as this, it’s all I need. Will be finding a dealer that has one in stock. 👍👍

I like those horns lol but so far I'm happy with my ex4. I have a 3 in 1 combi oklahomajoes that when I have problems with the ex4 I still can cook 😂

I like those horns lol but so far I'm happy with my ex4. I have a 3 in 1 combi oklahomajoes that when I have problems with the ex4 I still can cook 😂
LOL, the horns are definitely a love it, or hate it thing. Honestly I'm very surprised they dont' offer a normal handle option given the number of people I see with a similar complaint.
I'm sure it's a great grill, and I'll say here what I told my friend when he was looking to buy. I told him that if I were buying again today, I would make the same decision. The EX6 works for me. However, I believe that he/you/I would be happy with any of the alternatives as well. I believe I would be happy with a rectec, camp chef woodwind, GMG Jim Bowie etc. I believe they're all great grills and will give you years of service...I just believe the WSF works as a grill better than the others given its design differences.

Many TKS. When I read a review such as this, it’s all I need. Will be finding a dealer that has one in stock. 👍👍

Things to be 100% sure you do before you cook!

1) DO NOT attempt to use the WSF until you are certain you have updated everything to current. That is the app, the grill software and the grill firmware. Hopefully someone can chime in on the current software version numbers as I don't have that information handy.

*****EDIT*****
Here is the official Weber page detailing the version numbers of app/firmware/software:

2) REMOVE the finger guard inside the pellet hopper. Do this prior to putting in any pellets. There are three screws to be removed. Stuff a towel down in the auger throat to ensure you dont' drop a screw into the auger, remove the screws and guard. then reinsert the screws and tighten.

3) Use weber pellets for the first couple of cooks to ensure you are removing as many possible problems as possible. Once you're happy with the grill performance you can experiment with other pellet types that might be available in your area, but use weber inititally

Last edited:
Things to be 100% sure you do before you cook!

1) DO NOT attempt to use the WSF until you are certain you have updated everything to current. That is the app, the grill software and the grill firmware. Hopefully someone can chime in on the current software version numbers as I don't have that information handy.

*****EDIT*****
Here is the official Weber page detailing the version numbers of app/firmware/software:

2) REMOVE the finger guard inside the pellet hopper. Do this prior to putting in any pellets. There are three screws to be removed. Stuff a towel down in the auger throat to ensure you dont' drop a screw into the auger, remove the screws and guard. then reinsert the screws and tighten.

3) Use weber pellets for the first couple of cooks to ensure you are removing as many possible problems as possible. Once you're happy with the grill performance you can experiment with other pellet types that might be available in your area, but use weber inititally
THANK YOU!! Extremely useful information that I will apply. 👀👍👍👍

Welcome to the forum @Corners 🍻 Good luck on the hunt! Let us know what you decide.

Welcome to the forum @Corners 🍻 Good luck on the hunt! Let us know what you decide.
Well fer sure I’m going to get the EX6. I enjoyed all the reviews. HOWEVER, my biggest problem is finding a close dealership that sells one AND the pellets and additional accessories that I want. The southern Oregon city that I live in doesn’t have anyone that sells them.
Soooo I am now searching for a dealer. Will keep ya informed. 👋🏻

I decided I didn’t want to be an experiment for Weber and I went with a Rectec as recommended by many. My experience had been amazing. First, it is the Rolls Royce of smokers, fat Better built than Weber or Traeger. The PID controller is EXCELLENT as is the whole fire system. It holds temp rock solid and is efficient in its pellet use. The warranty of SIX YEARS and the service I’ve received are top notch. They treat you like family. That’s my two cents.

I posted here at the beginning of the forum when the Smokefire came out because I changed my mind from a Traeger after I heard their pitch. As I watched the whole SmokeFire drama unfold and went to go see one at the hardware store I looked for alternatives and went through them all. RecTec was my conclusion. I am very happy with my purchase!

Do you have
I decided I didn’t want to be an experiment for Weber and I went with a Rectec as recommended by many. My experience had been amazing. First, it is the Rolls Royce of smokers, fat Better built than Weber or Traeger. The PID controller is EXCELLENT as is the whole fire system. It holds temp rock solid and is efficient in its pellet use. The warranty of SIX YEARS and the service I’ve received are top notch. They treat you like family. That’s my two cents.

I posted here at the beginning of the forum when the Smokefire came out because I changed my mind from a Traeger after I heard their pitch. As I watched the whole SmokeFire drama unfold and went to go see one at the hardware store I looked for alternatives and went through them all. RecTec was my conclusion. I am very happy with my purchase!
As long as you are happy that is all that matters.

Stay Away!!!
I bought mine in February directly from Weber and have been extremely unhappy with the product and with the customer service. I am currently in a battle with customer service to get credit on my unit. I would advise to stay away until at least Rev 2.0. First round has too many problems and the customer service has been horrendous.

Back