Wire guard question

bbqking

4x SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grill
EX6, 3, 22” kettles, 18” kettle and a e310 gasser
I dont see a thread as I haven’t looked hard for one, but Ive seen removing the wire guard where the pellet feed into the auger, talked about.. Is that a recommendation? Is that from Weber? Isn’t that modifying the SF and voiding the warranty? Just curious. My wire guard is still there. Haven’t removed it.

It will never be from Weber. The first idiot that takes it out and then jams his hand down in it while its running will sue Weber for his/her missing fingers and hand.

Users just started doing it on their own. Pellets were bridging up on the guard in some cases. Removing it eliminated this issue.

I took mine out and have been running problem free since March.

Took mine out after I accidentally dropped a small pebble in the hopper (don’t ask😜) back in July and had to empty the hopper and remove the auger to get it out. Upon reassembly I noticed the issue with the two-piece auger housing felt coming loose. A fortuitous accident!

During reassembly I removed the guard, then called Weber and the provide me with the new one piece welded auger assembly which I just finished installing a few days ago.

The auger move so slow you would literally have to force your hand into it for like a minute or maybe two to actually get it caught. It would be a chore to do it on purpose IMO. Most all pellet grills have a guard of some sort as a preemptive strike against frivolous litigation from unscrupulous attorneys. BTW, all are easily removed by design.
I highly recommend removal of the SF guard as it is located in a more problematic area directly over the auger chute entrance. It does contribute to the bridging issue significantly. You won’t be sorry. That along with the new chute all but eliminates the serious bridging problems.

The auger move so slow you would literally have to force your hand into it for like a minute or maybe two to actually get it caught. It would be a chore to do it on purpose IMO. Most all pellet grills have a guard of some sort as a preemptive strike against frivolous litigation from unscrupulous attorneys. BTW, all are easily removed by design.
I highly recommend removal of the SF guard as it is located in a more problematic area directly over the auger chute entrance. It does contribute to the bridging issue significantly. You won’t be sorry. That along with the new chute all but eliminates the serious bridging problems.
Well that being said, someone somehow “dropped a pebble” in the hopper?! 😂....so

Well that being said, someone somehow “dropped a pebble” in the hopper?! 😂....so
Trust me, it wasn’t easy...unless you were sweeping up some spilled pellets to add back to the hopper and .....

Back