Wings

bbqking

4x SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grill
EX6, 3, 22” kettles, 18” kettle and a e310 gasser
Did some garlic Parmesan wings. For some reason every and any chicken I have done with the skin on, the skin has been pretty rubbery. Some of it inedible. The wings were edible, but skin was rubbery. 20 minutes at 450, then flipped and about 20 at 390, the last 10 at 500. Pulled off when they started reading 165. Made some homemade pizza in the oven.
3C43B6E4-53A1-4278-B4D8-9C322A322A84.jpeg
E0D52C34-EF13-44FD-8203-512C0CB2CC88.jpeg
ED559D87-E957-4649-A954-DDAAD2124C66.jpeg
AE8EB53F-909A-41D7-B62B-8ACE9C3C3D41.jpeg
DAF84E9E-8399-4073-93F0-1917F59806F7.jpeg
FF35B0F6-F7D6-4112-884E-4B6ED0007581.jpeg

Last edited:
Those do sound yummy!

I have done wings quite a few time now and get raving reviews from family. Just did a 5 pound batch this weekend.

I place them directly on the grates. You want some strong infrared heat to kiss the skin and crisp it up. I Start on smokeboost for 25 min then turn up to 450. Once the temp starts cranking up I know the fire is hitting them and I start the timer. 10-15 minutes each side at that point (I start visually checking every couple min at 10 min looking for the all around golden color with a little bit of char).

Trendkill has a video of wings on SF but I believe he goes straight to 500

I will do 500 next time. Maybe 20 smoke boost first

my last batch I did at 350 the whole time and they turned out great. I flipped them somewhere between 15 and 20 minutes, then after another 15 to 20 took off and sauced them before putting back on for a few minutes once the sauce was nice and sticky. Most of them had a decent bit of char on them before I sauced. I’m sure could get a little crispier but much better than the ones I did at 225 and then cranked up to higher heat and sauced. I might try hotter next time too. I do pat them all as dry as possible before putting the rub on. I’ve heard dry brining can help with chicken skin too but I’ve never tried it.

my last batch I did at 350 the whole time and they turned out great. I flipped them somewhere between 15 and 20 minutes, then after another 15 to 20 took off and sauced them before putting back on for a few minutes once the sauce was nice and sticky. Most of them had a decent bit of char on them before I sauced. I’m sure could get a little crispier but much better than the ones I did at 225 and then cranked up to higher heat and sauced. I might try hotter next time too. I do pat them all as dry as possible before putting the rub on. I’ve heard dry brining can help with chicken skin too but I’ve never tried it.
I live in the Home of the Wings, and help volunteer for the national competition here every year as they support our local Meals on Wheels and Food bank. I have seen two types of approaches that seem to be winners every year.

(1) Those why lightly deep fry their wings and then sauce and grill. This gives a very crisp skin, and can be replicated fairly close by either pre-baking in an oven to get them “ rare” and the finishing by saucing and grilling,

(2) The purists (although not at the competition due to the size of the crowds) who cook on their grills at 300 to 350 to start to crisp the skin, then sauce and finish on high heat of around 350 to 400. This is my preferred way to do them, and it works extremely well on my Summit, since I can run both temps on that unit at the same time.

However, I am going to give it a try on my SF this weekend following your approach.

I also patted them dry with paper towels. Maybe I just didn’t leave them on long enough?

Maybe so. Rub ingredients can come into play too I think.

This thread is making me need more wings. Guess have to add that to the shopping list.

I used blues hog all purpose rub

After rubbing the wings with a paper towel, I add 2 tsp of Baking Powder (not soda) to the rub I use on them in a bowl and toss them all together. Put them on smokeboost for around 40 minutes, skin side up and then around 20-25 minutes skin side down at 425F, depending on size.

flipping them once If the ones on the right are cooking a little faster I put them on the top rack towards the end. They come out crispy bite with a crunch not quiet fried (but satisfying none the less) I find it a good alternative to rubbery skin although it is more like a slight batter than true crispy skin., Then toss or pour over a preheated sauce of choice and serve.

Might have to try the baking powder.

Back