When is a pork rib fall off the bone tender?

SupportKing

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX4
(not falling apart tender)

For those who use the toothpick method, what does it feel like? Like poking a muffin? poking peanut butter? room temp butter?

What method do you use?

My next weekend thanks you in advance!

(not falling apart tender)

For those who use the toothpick method, what does it feel like? Like poking a muffin? poking peanut butter? room temp butter?

What method do you use?

My next weekend thanks you in advance!
203 is my magic number. I use a thermapen to both test like toothpick and measure temp. Anywhere just above 200 is good. Once you get to 205-207 and above it’s hit and miss with overdone. A pro tip though is to let them cool down a bit before cutting and serving. This allows them to tighten up just a bit so they don’t fall apart. Once a toothpick pulls out with no resistance you’re there. Just test them early a few times and the difference will become very noticeable. I like temping them as crazy as that sounds.

203 is my magic number. I use a thermapen to both test like toothpick and measure temp. Anywhere just above 200 is good. Once you get to 205-207 and above it’s hit and miss with overdone. A pro tip though is to let them cool down a bit before cutting and serving. This allows them to tighten up just a bit so they don’t fall apart. Once a toothpick pulls out with no resistance you’re there. Just test them early a few times and the difference will become very noticeable. I like temping them as crazy as that sounds.
Thanks very much for the post and this information it really hit home reading it as while I am usually a temp focused person myself, I have been just looking at the pull back and fixating on time & process too much with this particular cook. I am definitely going to try to change my thinking and see what happens. Cheers!

Thanks very much for the post and this information it really hit home reading it as while I am usually a temp focused person myself, I have been just looking at the pull back and fixating on time & process too much with this particular cook. I am definitely going to try to change my thinking and see what happens. Cheers!

Yesterday, put the information from this thread into action and I focused on monitoring temp on 2 slabs of baby back ribs while simultaneously cooking a hot and fast 8 lb pork butt (285) on my Ex6. Put some chicken on late and had to pull it and reverse sear on the summit to get them done at the same time (next time). Both the pork products turned out well done according to the dinner guests and all the leftovers went home in containers so I take that to be a positive. Definitely fall off the bone with a bit of firmness still. Sorry, no pictures, I was too busy with prepping for lacrosse and trying to replace our mailbox that got flattened while cooking but many thanks to those on the forum contributing to another good weekend meal.

I used Kosmos Q Dirty Bird and the Honey Chipoltle rubs on both and put a bed of brown sugar, a drizzle of maple syrup, a little more dirty bird seasoning, and some sweet & spicy bbq sauce on when wrapping at 160. Paired with a mustard slaw, Caesar salad, Texas toast, and grilled corn on the cob. Thanks again, all.

Kosmos Q is on my to try list!
Kosmos is a good line too to bottom.

I also endorse suckle busters, Heath riles, Malcolm Reed, John Henry, meat church and Dizzy pig. They are all standout products. John Henry and dizzy pig have a bunch of very unique offerings that fall well outside the traditional BBQ parameters. So many good choices a guy can really spend some cash. 🤣

I also endorse suckle busters, Heath riles, Malcolm Reed, John Henry, meat church and Dizzy pig. They are all standout products. John Henry and dizzy pig have a bunch of very unique offerings that fall well outside the traditional BBQ parameters. So many good choices a guy can really spend some cash. 🤣
Local hardware store has these samplers of dizzy pig rubs, i plan on trying a bunch of these soon.
A5E23149-D1ED-49B4-89C0-414662AA2423.jpeg

Local hardware store has these samplers of dizzy pig rubs, i plan on trying a bunch of these soon.View attachment 3662
Very nice ! $2 and you get to see what you like. I’m a fan of Red eye, raging river, and raising the steaks to name A few. Enjoy the ride!

I've tried Malcom Reed's normal and hot BBQ rub on pork, and just recently used his TX brisket rub 2 weeks ago. All of them were great!

I ordered Lambert's Sweet Rub o Mine for ribs this weekend (doing 3 racks, first time trying, because it was an Amazon best seller), but I guess I should get 2 more, so each rack gets its own flavor... and then I can do a head to head...

Edit: Just bought Kosmos Q 2 pack: Honey BBQ and Voo Doo

I've tried Malcom Reed's normal and hot BBQ rub a few times each on pork cuts, and just recently used his TX brisket rub 2 weeks ago and it was great!

I ordered Lambert's Sweet Rub o Mine for ribs this weekend (doing 3 racks, first time trying), but I guess I should get 2 more, so each rack gets its own flavor...

Edit: Just bought Kosmos Q 2 pack: Honey BBQ and Voo Doo
The lamberts is sweet and mild. It will let the pork shine. I like it as well. Enjoy.

Back