What's your method for Brisket?

Prime packer, rub with whatever you like, 225 to 160, wrap in butcher paper, take to 205 or when it passes the probe test.
I will also be injecting my flat next time with beef broth. Looking forward to trying this.

Jps,

Just curious, why does the grade of the meat affect the cooking time ?
The intramuscular fat content. It’s a bit counterintuitive but the higher level of intramuscular fat the faster it finishes. It melts during the stall and produces a tender product far faster than a lesser grade. It’s much harder to achieve the tenderness with a lesser grade.

Prime packer, rub with whatever you like, 225 to 160, wrap in butcher paper, take to 205 or when it passes the probe test.
I will also be injecting my flat next time with beef broth. Looking forward to trying this.
I don’t think injections are necessary for a prime, but I usually do anyway. I’m a big proponent of injecting anything less than prime.

USDA Prime whole packer brisket. (point and flat) trim accordingly, rub salt, pepper, garlic, 275 until 160, wrap and cook to 200-205. Rest wrapped in cooler at least 2 hours.

I will never waste my time with select or choice cuts of brisket again. Theres a reason why the competition guys strictly use USDA Prime.

I am cooking one as I type (my first attempt though)

200 degrees, placed on the top rack, water pan under the flat side of the brisket (not sure if this matters), crumpled up aluminum foil under brisket so juice doesn't collect in the middle. Seasoned with Killer Hogs TX rub (basically Salt Pepper Garlic). Gourmet blend weber pellets. Injected in 1" squares, about a teaspoon, with Butchers Prime Brisket Injection mixed with water.

I put it on last night for 8.5 hours, didn't spray or anything because I went to sleep.

Temp was 141deg in the thickest part of the flat when I took it off :confused:, but the bark was definitely set, but also it felt maybe a touch too dry? Definitely felt nice though. I poured some beef broth over the top of the brisket in very small amounts to rehydrate the bark a tad then wow it looks amazing. I wrapped it in butcher paper and put it in the oven that was preheated to 275 (middle rack).

Total cook time so far has been 12.5 hours. I plan on poking it when it gets to 200ish, and I just left the stall.

I originally planned for it to be a 17h cook with a 2h rest, and it looks like I'm right on track!

Post cook I am going to do a few burnt ends (using Head Country BBQ, butter, brown sugar, and the Au Jus from the brisket) and cook to thicken it up.

3/15 update: It was fantastic. My only regret (and idk if I can change this willingly) is to spray the bark bc it was still pretty set after rehydrating it OR wrap it in foil to force the bark to soften up.

Last edited:

200 degrees, placed on the top rack, water pan under the flat side of the brisket (not sure if this matters), crumpled up aluminum foil under brisket so juice doesn't collect in the middle. Seasoned with Killer Hogs TX rub (basically Salt Pepper Garlic). Gourmet blend weber pellets. Injected in 1" squares, about a teaspoon, with Butchers Prime Brisket Injection mixed with water.

I put it on last night for 8.5 hours, didn't spray or anything because I went to sleep.

Temp was 141deg in the thickest part of the flat when I took it off :confused:, but the bark was definitely set, but also it felt maybe a touch too dry? Definitely felt nice though. I poured some beef broth over the top of the brisket in very small amounts to rehydrate the bark a tad then wow it looks amazing. I wrapped it in butcher paper and put it in the oven that was preheated to 275 (middle rack).

Total cook time so far has been 12.5 hours. I plan on poking it when it gets to 200ish, and I just left the stall.

I originally planned for it to be a 17h cook with a 2h rest, and it looks like I'm right on track!

Post cook I am going to do a few burnt ends (using Head Country BBQ, butter, brown sugar, and the Au Jus from the brisket) and cook to thicken it up.

I am very hopeful as everything looks very promising so far.
Yeah, it would take some time at 200 degree pit temp and a water pan as a heat sync in place. Sounds like a great plan. Butchers is a great product as are the others you are using. Enjoy!

I am very hopeful as everything looks very promising so far.
Looking forward to this one!!

USDA Prime whole packer brisket. (point and flat) trim accordingly, rub salt, pepper, garlic, 275 until 160, wrap and cook to 200-205. Rest wrapped in cooler at least 2 hours.

I will never waste my time with select or choice cuts of brisket again. Theres a reason why the competition guys strictly use USDA Prime.
Explain. I’ve used prime and choice. Best turn out I’ve had was not prime. Granted, it could have just been user error, I was not impressed with the prime I did.

Explain. I’ve used prime and choice. Best turn out I’ve had was not prime. Granted, it could have just been user error, I was not impressed with the prime I did.
In what way were you not impressed?

It didn’t seem to be as moist as the choice.
That’s very unusual. Hard to say why without knowing your cook methods and seeing the product. There are some choice cuts that are borderline prime. The prime should be extremely moist. Maybe you cooked ultra low and slow for an extremely long time and rendered out all the fat too much? I’m not a proponent of cooking under 225 and I usually do 250-275. I may start 225 just to take time to develop the bark and what not, but it’s really usually a timing thing.

That’s very unusual. Hard to say why without knowing your cook methods and seeing the product. There are some choice cuts that are borderline prime. The prime should be extremely moist. Maybe you cooked ultra low and slow for an extremely long time and rendered out all the fat too much? I’m not a proponent of cooking under 225 and I usually do 250-275. I may start 225 just to take time to develop the bark and what not, but it’s really usually a timing thing.
I did 225 until at 160, then foiled until probe tender at 200. Then ice chest wrapped in towels for 4 hours. Still hot when took out to cut,.
F680285D-D3E2-4AB3-AC5E-53658C2DA775.jpeg
5F6F4564-BF63-4440-894A-B6BCBABC2C6E.jpeg
030BEDEF-93AC-46B8-867A-4EB3F7AB2736.jpeg
7EC48A6E-603E-4596-8F97-BE8697F7FB40.jpeg
7EC48A6E-603E-4596-8F97-BE8697F7FB40.jpeg
006C71FA-706D-477D-89F7-C9D7F5CA89DB.jpeg
56B0DD6F-D44E-48D8-A012-ECA99120516C.jpeg

I did 225 until at 160, then foiled until probe tender at 200. Then ice chest wrapped in towels for 4 hours. Still hot when took out to cut,. View attachment 3627View attachment 3628View attachment 3629View attachment 3630View attachment 3630View attachment 3631View attachment 3632
That is a solid method. I will say that sliced brisket gets dry extremely quickly. Doesn’t matter what the grade. I would suggest slice and serve immediately. Some catering outfits also take beef broth and create a bath to help with this issue. It’s just the nature of the beast. Your pics look pretty damn good to me.

Back