What does everyone think of their Smoke Fire now

I can say Weber customer service has always been spot on. In fact I just email them when I have an issue, I hear back within a few minutes of sending the email.
The Smokefire is the most versatile cooker I have used. You can get grease fires in any grill depending on what you are cooking and how.
Sorry to hear you are not happy with your Smokefire.

It was a love hate for me as well. I loved it and the food was great. At higher temps it would quit feeding pellets and then a fuse blew. I just decided it was not something I wanted to keep and told them to come get it. It been a few weeks since they picked it up and still no money. Customer service picked up afterer a bad review. They at least tell me they are checking on me and they have approved my refund 5 weeks after I contacted the. Of course now they state my refund will be 4-6 axditional weeks. Potentially 8-10 weeks or longer with no grill or money!

I have three more weeks to decide whether to keep it or not. It makes delicious food, but I'm on my second controller, and a new motherboard should be arriving today. Controller seized up during a $50 brisket and while I was out on errands, so it was edible but def could have been better as it cooled off completely before I got home. I'm just not sure if the longevity of this machine. I got a Gen 2 EX6 for the price of an EX4 , due to a salesperson mistake and company kept the price quoted. But how much are parts gonna cost after the 3 year warranty is up, ie. Controller, motherboard, motor, these are not cheap I'm sure. Wondering if Weber will make a new pellet grill or keep fixing the SF up ??? I'm torn....

Last edited:
I have three more weeks to decide whether to keep it or not. It makes delicious food, but I'm on my second controller, and a new motherboard should be arriving today. Controller seized up during a $50 brisket and while I was out on errands, so it was edible but def could have been better as it cooled off completely before I got home. I'm just not sure if the longevity of this machine. I got a Gen 2 EX6 for the price of an EX4 , due to a salesperson mistake and company kept the price quoted. But how much are parts gonna cost after the 3 year warranty is up, ie. Controller, motherboard, motor, these are not cheap I'm sure. Wondering if Weber will make a new pellet grill or keep fixing the SF up ??? I'm torn....
I would suspect they would stand behind the product since your issue are documented. That said I don’t know for sure. Tough call. I love mine but have only had the usual early issues and it’s been great since the upgrades. Good luck. I hope you’re happy in the end.

I got my Gen 2 EX4 in July 2021 with the $200 discount. I've only done four cooks (2 pork butts, spare ribs, baby back ribs), but so far, so good. I haven't experienced any of the issues that others have noted. The only issue I've seen is that my EX4 seems to run hotter than the control panel says...at least compared to my Maverick ambient temperature gauge. This sounds like the opposite of what others have been saying. I just picked up a Weber ambient temp probe, so I'll see what that says with the next cook.

I'm not too worried about the temp, I'd just like to have a general idea of how hot I'm cooking. I mean, who knows what temp I was really cooking at with my Smokey Mountain bullet smoker...and everything generally turned out fine with those cooks.

I canceled my order back last winter because of all the problems they were having. Now over a year later I was wondering are all the bugs worked out? For the one’s that have owned theirs a while, are they worth it or should I look elsewhere for a smoker. I still notice some people are having problems.
I’m a newbie to using a smoker. I bought the 2nd gen in April of this year and we love the food I’m cooking on it. The glow plug is persnickety. I have to dust it off each time. The fire box can’t be cold and if it is I warm it up with a butane fire starter so the plug will heat up. Otherwise I have to turn it off, wait 20 min and try again. It took awhile to figure the quirks out on my grill. Otherwise it works perfectly. I have not tried a long and slow smoke yet so can’t speak to any flame outs. I’ve been easing into this with help from this lovely forum. I’m glad I bought mine but Weber should have spent more time in the research end before putting it out. Kind of like other major products these days.

I’m a newbie to using a smoker. I bought the 2nd gen in April of this year and we love the food I’m cooking on it. The glow plug is persnickety. I have to dust it off each time. The fire box can’t be cold and if it is I warm it up with a butane fire starter so the plug will heat up. Otherwise I have to turn it off, wait 20 min and try again. It took awhile to figure the quirks out on my grill. Otherwise it works perfectly. I have not tried a long and slow smoke yet so can’t speak to any flame outs. I’ve been easing into this with help from this lovely forum. I’m glad I bought mine but Weber should have spent more time in the research end before putting it out. Kind of like other major products these days.
Again, this makes no sense. I suspect your glow plug is not installed and seated properly. They are also adjustable I believe. Heating up anything up is without any merit at all. I chalk any success to dumb luck. I suggest researching the glow plug installation and working on that.

I know they recommend cleaning regularly but I’ve cleaned mine once in the past 12 months and have had zero issues. I’m terrible about maintenance and the thing is bullet proof. The fact the pellets aren’t in an auger directly adjacent to the fire pot is a real good situation. Also the perforated fire pot allows much of the ash to clear out of the pot.

Lastly, I suggest people use the Weber pellets and avoid the least expensive options. This is an area where the internet and social media might not offer the best advice.

Again, this makes no sense. I suspect your glow plug is not installed and seated properly. They are also adjustable I believe. Heating up anything up is without any merit at all. I chalk any success to dumb luck. I suggest researching the glow plug installation and working on that.

I know they recommend cleaning regularly but I’ve cleaned mine once in the past 12 months and have had zero issues. I’m terrible about maintenance and the thing is bullet proof. The fact the pellets aren’t in an auger directly adjacent to the fire pot is a real good situation. Also the perforated fire pot allows much of the ash to clear out of the pot.

Lastly, I suggest people use the Weber pellets and avoid the least expensive options. This is an area where the internet and social media might not offer the best advice.
This!! times a million!!

I canceled my order back last winter because of all the problems they were having. Now over a year later I was wondering are all the bugs worked out? For the one’s that have owned theirs a while, are they worth it or should I look elsewhere for a smoker. I still notice some people are having problems.
I have the 2nd Gen EX4 using it twice or more a week. I couldn’t be happier with quality and performance. I’m going to buy another for our summer home.

Had mine since Feb 2020. Lost track how many hundreds of pounds of pellets I’ve put through it but I’d buy another one tomorrow if mine died.

Last edited:
My Kettle and WSM are not feeling as much love since the EX6 came to the grilling center.

Back