What does everyone think of their Smoke Fire now

SCTwist

Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire EX4 (with GBS from old Spirit grill), Weber Genesis II, Maximus Prime Pizza Oven, La Caja China
So far I love it.
Got it last week and since I have 100 days to make up my mind I decided to put it through it's paces.
First evening - seasoning: 15 minutes to 600 degrees F.
Next evening: same, just to see if it would. Yup, same.
Following evening: Used it as an oven so to speak to bake a loaf of leberkaese @350 - delicious!
Evening after: Made 2 boneless butts using hot and fast. Best pulled pork I've made.
Last night: Shallow-fried some chicken wings using the weber GBS griddle pan @ 400...next time I'll try 450 or 500. Wings were good, but not quiet the deep-fried texture.

OGauge4Me

Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire EX6, 22in WSM, Grill Cart with Weber Kettle
Glad to know I am not the only one. LOL The SF really only takes care of fire management to keep the temps constant. You still need to cook. I use a drip tray to make the clean up easier. I have found that the grease catcher can liner to be useless. Keeps making the ash tray next to impossible to remove. A shop vac is handy too.

Attachments

• 20211010_134300.jpg
    20211010_134300.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 2

Canuck55

Reaction score
Grill
EX6
I'm still waiting on the warranty request (3 years, <2 to go), I submitted Monday. Was going to make a brisket this weekend, but guess I won't be doing that!

Just feel like i shouldn't be replacing all the parts multiple times on my $1k grill within a year and a half. So far i've replaced the main board once, control panel 2x, auger/chute once, sheered off the cotter pin, and had to replace the pot shield and flavorizer bar racks.
I’ve replaced the thermocouple and the controller and still have issues. I’m actually monitoring the grill temp separately and see that there are wild swings in temps even though the co troller says everything is perfect. I wonder how many other people out there are not checking the actual cook temps and think everything is perfect. When I set mine to 225 the actual cook temp ranges from 180-205. I cannot cook a brisket at 225 because the temps are not high enough. Mine is going back. Really good customer service. Maybe in a couple of iterations I will pick one up. And I fully agree that for a $1000+ grill it shouldn’t take so much effort to use, and shouldn’t have to be replacing parts. What’s going to happen to this in 4-5 years time when the warranty is over? Throw away and buy new?

OGauge4Me

Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire EX6, 22in WSM, Grill Cart with Weber Kettle
I’ve replaced the thermocouple and the controller and still have issues. I’m actually monitoring the grill temp separately and see that there are wild swings in temps even though the co troller says everything is perfect. I wonder how many other people out there are not checking the actual cook temps and think everything is perfect. When I set mine to 225 the actual cook temp ranges from 180-205. I cannot cook a brisket at 225 because the temps are not high enough. Mine is going back. Really good customer service. Maybe in a couple of iterations I will pick one up. And I fully agree that for a $1000+ grill it shouldn’t take so much effort to use, and shouldn’t have to be replacing parts. What’s going to happen to this in 4-5 years time when the warranty is over? Throw away and buy new?
I turn off and unplug my EX6 from the outlet after every cook. So far I have had a fuse blow one time. At 72 YO it was a PITA to replace. If you do not unplug your grill you might want to put a surge protector on the AC line cord.

Bruno

3x SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yeah, my poor WSM has essentially turned into a SmokeFire Cover holder. I don’t think I’ve used it once since I got the SF.
I probably won’t use mine again, I’d give it away but it reminds me of R2D2 and it looks cool. I’ve gotten back on the charcoal for grilling but I couldn’t imagine smoking on anything besides my SmokeFire.

Bruno

3x SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Love my SF but…. If you want to go freaking crazy monitor it with a separate high quality thermometer, the ####ing thing is all over the place.