Well, it's Finally Here!!!

Chris Z

Reaction score
Grill
Weber SmokeFire EX4, Weber Genesis Silver C, Weber Smokey Mountain 14" & 18", Weber Performer, Weber Q 220
So, it took a while to locate my EX4 but when the local shipping company realized it was sitting in their warehouse they loaded it on a truck and brought it here, finally, yesterday.

Lots of chatter about about hacked systems and having to use paperwork (rather than computers) to figure out what goes where.

Anyway, I'll put it together later today and we'll get this show on the road.

Enjoy!

Welcome, hope you have some great cooks! Make sure to do all the software and firmware updates before you do the burn in.

After a slow and methodical build over the last couple of days everything looks good for a seasoning.

The unit shipped with 3 igniters and two temperature leads for the controller. After putting the first igniter into it's extended holder I realized that I didn't have a hose clamp small enough to ensure a good ground contact (besides pressure and friction) on the cockamamy system that Weber is employing to ignite the pellets. If anything needs a re-design it's this.

I was tempted to rough things up a bit and put a drop of solder on the ground dimple connection but will use the tried and true method that many of you have employed instead, a stainless hose clamp.

In the hopper bin as I remove the finger guard I'm wondering what people are thinking about the slide "enhancement" that Weber made, if it's worthwhile or worth removing to regain lost pellet capacity. Any thoughts on this?

Yes, the legs fit poorly but are sturdy once screwed on and supporting the weight of the smoker. And my lid fits and seals evenly without any gaps. And I'm very happy that my old but cherished pizza pans fit with room to spare. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks again for all the discussion and Merry Christmas to all of you. No cooking in the SmokeFire today, my aged Genesis will be handling the filets. Tough to make garage time with the holidays, but I may do my burn in if the weather allow me to roll it outside for an hour or so.

Enjoy your day!

tempImagebtWgqG.pngtempImagemeyVjE.png

Looking good! without the finger guard I don’t think the pellet slide does much at least for me. I still have mine in my EX4 but mostly because haven’t bothered to remove it and most of the time I’m not filling the hopper completely full. Might make more difference in the EX6. I’ll prob remove it next nice weather day we have.

So, it took a while to locate my EX4 but when the local shipping company realized it was sitting in their warehouse they loaded it on a truck and brought it here, finally, yesterday.

Lots of chatter about about hacked systems and having to use paperwork (rather than computers) to figure out what goes where.

Anyway, I'll put it together later today and we'll get this show on the road.
Welcome and happy smoking/cooking/searing!

Delay after delay here at home has caused me to not get to my seasoning until just yesterday.

The build has been complete for a while now along with any and all software upgrades and network configuration. That all went very well with the exception of the larger casters I bought at Lowes. They were not the correct size to properly screw into the end of the legs. I'll have to order the recommended ones from Amazon. Right now I'm rolling on what was provided.

Seasoning started with several scoops of Weber Hickory going into the hopper. Then a painless first lighting with the lid open until I smelled hickory and then off to 460 degrees to sit for an hour. Ambient temp in my driveway was about 28 degrees F and time to 460 was no more than 10 minutes. Temp held rock solid the entire time (trusting the Controller display) and the smell of wood smoke was really nice. :)

After that I reduced the temp to 320 and watched closely as it fell stopping at 320 and holding for 10 minutes or so before I reduced to 260 and sat there for 10 minutes or so. Finished things up with a run to 550 (I didn't time it but I wasn't disappointed in the time it took). Sat there for 10 minutes or so and put the grill in shut down.

Satisfied, I retreated to the warmth of the house and a fresh beer until my phone told me I could turn off the power.

I dumped what was left of the pellets and estimate that I burned about 1/4 of a bag with all my playing around. I also took things apart so I could get rid of any residual ash and have a look - and I'm glad that I did. During the seasoning process something on one of the many surfaces burned off into large flakes. That was expected but one of the big flakes was laying in the bottom of the burn pot and would probably have caused problems with the next cook's airflow had I not removed it. Anyway, no harm done and after a fast vacuuming the grill is ready for it's first cook.

Good build and with the exception of the ridiculous glow plug assembly, well engineered. Operation for my seasoning was flawless. I realize some of you are dissatisfied with temp control as presented by probes placed at a variety of spots inside but there is a lot of air movement from the fan so I'm not completely surprised at this.

Sorry for the length of the post...

Last edited:
Hope your experience is as great as mine has been. Fingers crossed. Enjoy!

Latest Discussions

Back