Weber quality control

Rickyjk619

Reaction score
I have had no issues with the new firmware software updates. I have been grilling and smoking with no problems whatsoever. I will say this the unit has to be cleaned out about every third smoke. I use a shop vac and it takes less than 5 minutes. I also use Water pans on top of the flavorizing bars when I do a long smoke. I have done everything they have asked and I have suggested some improvements to them. I am also using the latest auger motor and welded chute versions. The motor is a rev D. I was recently contacted by Weber quality control asking for my input as new things are released on the Smokefire. I have a contact there now and I am asking you to tell me your issues that your having and if it’s something I have experienced and have over come I will be glad to tell you what the fix is. If it’s not something I have encountered I will be glad to contact Weber quality control and address your issues. I guess they got tired of emails from me and decided we needed to chat. I have been more than pleased with their response. I was very negative and aggravated with the Smokefire at first like everyone else. I have gotten to the point that I can do a 18 hour smoke with this unit and not have one issue with it. So please if your to your wits end and need help please contact me.

I had to have mine replaced as well. I will contact my guy tomorrow. Let you know something soon. I do know they have been working from Home due to this supposed crisis.

I thought I read somewhere in all the promo stuff that they were using a common diesel glow plug so people wouldnt have this issue of waiting to order one. Can you get them to confirm that and what we should ask for at the auto parts place?

The problem with the glow plugs burning out is a ground tab that loosens up. The tension between the tab and plug drops, the ground gets weak, the resistance goes up, and the plug burns out. A member of another group came up with a fix where you install a small #4 stainless hose clamp around the ground tab and plug body. Never had an issue since. Here is what it looks like.
FB_IMG_1591333752587.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Have to see if I have any that size in my homebrew supply box.

Couple ideas for their next version.
1. Make the pellet hopper cleanout opening bigger and add a chute below it sized to fit with a 5 gallon bucket underneath it so that pellets get directed into the bucket instead of scattering all over.
2. Make the hopper lid open all the way past vertical so that you can more easily pour pellets into the hopper from behind.
3. Add a cord retainer so it can't be pull out so easily
4. Get rid of the cotter pin holding the auger onto the motor shaft and replace with something that won't grind up and help compact pellets. OR better yet redesign it so pellets cannot get compressed back there during reversal.
5. Create an optional wind break/chimney (maybe attached by magnets) so you can block wind from directly blowing into rear vents on windy days
6. Make it so we can make our own recipies and share them. Have a rating system so users can download the best user created recipies
7. Fix the Set Probe to a specific temperature feature - it still does not work on Android v 9, Samsung Galaxy S8+
8. Add temperature graphing of cooks with a save feature
That's it for now.

Yeah I like all those ideas.

I have had no issues with the new firmware software updates. I have been grilling and smoking with no problems whatsoever. I will say this the unit has to be cleaned out about every third smoke. I use a shop vac and it takes less than 5 minutes. I also use Water pans on top of the flavorizing bars when I do a long smoke. I have done everything they have asked and I have suggested some improvements to them. I am also using the latest auger motor and welded chute versions. The motor is a rev D. I was recently contacted by Weber quality control asking for my input as new things are released on the Smokefire. I have a contact there now and I am asking you to tell me your issues that your having and if it’s something I have experienced and have over come I will be glad to tell you what the fix is. If it’s not something I have encountered I will be glad to contact Weber quality control and address your issues. I guess they got tired of emails from me and decided we needed to chat. I have been more than pleased with their response. I was very negative and aggravated with the Smokefire at first like everyone else. I have gotten to the point that I can do a 18 hour smoke with this unit and not have one issue with it. So please if your to your wits end and need help please contact me.

Thanks for stepping up! I am waiting for replacement glow plug igniters and saw another post indicating they are on backorder. It would be great if you could get an update on this,

I received notification about 5pm Pacific that my glow plug igniter replacement order shipped. This is great news!

I think already went through 6 glowplugs. When I bought it (february) had no problems at all. Glow plug problems started around april. Last two glow plugs worked for about 2,5 weeks. My neighbor has the same problem. Luckily we can use each other's spare glowplug when it stops working. Still annoying that one of my cooking tools that I always have next to the ex4 is a screwdriver 😂

Back