Weber is coming out with a “water” pan that will sit under the S.F. grates.

JpsBBQ

Reaction score
I just don’t understand Weber marketing. Why do they wait so long to release these accessories. You know they were designed at the same time as the SmokeFire.
I whole heartedly agree. I can only surmise that the pandemic has really screwed things up. The supply chains are waaaay backed up.

stef_s

Reaction score
While appreciate the innovative side of Weber I wish they would spend some of their energy fixing existing problems...I just watched my SF go from 250 degrees to 155 degrees in less than 10 minutes...I can not count how many meals have either been delayed or given up on this grill...have not cursed a grill as much as I have this one...not new to pellet grills owned Traeger and a MAK.... just got worse grill just “turned off safely...so much for dinner tonight!
I also had this issue. The problem was, that the burn pot was displaced and blocked the glow plug.
Check the manual and to the same thing as descriped under ERROR E3 and also check the position of the burn pot.

tspin818

Reaction score
I got the wet smoke kit today. Plan on using it more as a drip pan. I like that it holds the pan slightly above the flavorizer bars, allowing full air flow in the WSF. It also lets you place the pan over the large flavorizer bar over the burn pit. Going to try it out this weekend.

.20200831_114157.jpg20200831_170138.jpg20200831_170233.jpg

OILBOY1162

Reaction score

Dassman5

Reaction score
I got the wet smoke kit today. Plan on using it more as a drip pan. I like that it holds the pan slightly above the flavorizer bars, allowing full air flow in the WSF. It also lets you place the pan over the large flavorizer bar over the burn pit. Going to try it out this weekend.

.View attachment 1667View attachment 1668View attachment 1669
I have one and have used it several times already.. It works well and does a good job of not only catching grease drips, but in keeping the humidity “up” when smoking food that has a tendency to dry out like chicken breasts and flank steak..

BTW, Amazon and some restaurant supply outlets offer replacement pans that are cheaper than the original Weber pans.

The only exception to its use is with very large meats like briskets and butts, but for those I simply switch to a half-steam tray pan that I use directly on the flavorizer bars...Although one could also purchase a second kit.

AHoneyman

Reaction score
Folks, what are your experiences with water or drip pans? I did a set of ribs last weekend and put two pans on the flavorizer bars to keep them moist for the 6 hour run. It was the first time that I had used a pan in the SF. The ribs were great in the middle of the racks. The ends, which stuck out over the edge of the pans, got a little crunchy. I am assuming that this was due to air flow around the back and fronts of the pans. I have noticed in your pictures that several of you have pans but they are usually bigger than the meat. Any comments are appreciated.

JpsBBQ

Reaction score
Folks, what are your experiences with water or drip pans? I did a set of ribs last weekend and put two pans on the flavorizer bars to keep them moist for the 6 hour run. It was the first time that I had used a pan in the SF. The ribs were great in the middle of the racks. The ends, which stuck out over the edge of the pans, got a little crunchy. I am assuming that this was due to air flow around the back and fronts of the pans. I have noticed in your pictures that several of you have pans but they are usually bigger than the meat. Any comments are appreciated.
Another way is to put the ribs on the second level. Gets them up and away from the heat source and right in the smoke convection path. Although, if you are cooking them 6 hours that means you are cooking at 225 or lower. Shouldn’t have charring at that temp. I either wrap, spritz or mop As needed. I like cooking on the second level if logistics makes that possible.

Dassman5

Reaction score
I do not always use a water pan, but when I do, I have two options. For smaller and shorter smokes at temps up to around 250F I do use the Weber water pan that sits just above the flavorizer bars. It work well, and I have found a source for inexpensive throw-away replacement pans.

For larger smokes like briskets and butts, I use a half-size aluminum, disposable steamer pan and place that directly over the center flavorizer bar. It is larger and holds more water and also serves to catch the excess grease and drippings.
Both options allow the use of both the upper and lower grates, although I almost do all of my meats ( not fowl) on the upper grate, freeing up space on the lower grate for sides.

abmet

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
I haven’t used a water pan for ribs, I just go naked. I do use a pan under the grates for pork shoulder. The ones I have are just a little bigger than an 8 lb shoulder, and I can fit two in my EX4 if needed. I’m using for ease of cleanup only.

MattyM

Reaction score
Hi there, for those using the Weber wet smoke pans, are they any better than just putting a pan on top of the flavorizer bars under the grill? I was going to get two for my on order EX4 but think I’ll hold off and just see how I get on with above ‘lazy‘ option!

Dassman5

Reaction score
Hi there, for those using the Weber wet smoke pans, are they any better than just putting a pan on top of the flavorizer bars under the grill? I was going to get two for my on order EX4 but think I’ll hold off and just see how I get on with above ‘lazy‘ option!
I have one and have used it several times. It is convenient and does the job on my ex4 for smaller cuts and where moisture is more important than catching grease ( I only have one). For larger smokes like brisket and butts I still prefer to use a half-size steamer pan directly on top of the flavorizer bars.

Last edited:

MattyM

Reaction score
Thanks, I think try a pan ... just have read some have issues with it directly on the flavorizer bars vs wanting a gap Between. NoT sure why, in my mind it should work ok, as the bars are higher than the heat box so should still have good air flow.

Latest Discussions