Weber Genesis vs Spirit - need a new gas grill

jmccrack650

Reaction score
Hi all, since I know there are many Weber gas grill owners in this forum, looking for some advice...

Planning to buy a Weber grill to use alongside my Smokefire. I plan on using my smokefire for most longer cooks, and lately only use my existing (dying/rusty) grill to sear at the end of cooking, or for quick cooks.

I don't need anything large, so looking at the smallest models. Here in Canada the Spirit 315 is $750 and the Genesis 310 is $1050. Leaning towards the Spirit based on my planned limited usage, but will I regret not spending the extra $300 a few years from now?

Hi all, since I know there are many Weber gas grill owners in this forum, looking for some advice...

Planning to buy a Weber grill to use alongside my Smokefire. I plan on using my smokefire for most longer cooks, and lately only use my existing (dying/rusty) grill to sear at the end of cooking, or for quick cooks.

I don't need anything large, so looking at the smallest models. Here in Canada the Spirit 315 is $750 and the Genesis 310 is $1050. Leaning towards the Spirit based on my planned limited usage, but will I regret not spending the extra $300 a few years from now?
never had the spirit but the genesis has been bulletproof. you may even be able to pick up an incredible deal on craigslist too. i see people doing "moving" sales all the time

just looked on my local craigslist. a few spirits on there for about $150!

New has ten year bumper to bumper warranty. I would not hesitate to buy a genesis. Better grill and worth the extra cash.

Can the grates for both units be used on the SmokeFire as well (I know some can)?
That may be something to consider?

Can the grates for both units be used on the SmokeFire as well (I know some can)?
That may be something to consider?
No. I think the spirit only. I would carefully check the model and year of spirit as that may make a difference too.

I’ve never had a Spirit, but I’ve had a Genesis for 10 years and it has been most rock solid consistent grill I’ve owned. I’d buy another in a heartbeat. I’ve never had to do anything but occasional cleaning and replaced the grates.

I’ve had a Genesis for 10 years and it has been most rock solid consistent grill I’ve owned. I’d buy another in a heartbeat. I’ve never had to do anything but occasional cleaning and replaced the grates.
Except for those damn spiders that get in the jets.

Also agree on the Genesis. I've had my Silver B SE for over 10 years. Picked it up off craigslist for $25 and other than putting in new burners two years ago it's been a champ.

I have a spirit that picked up end of season at target. I used to have an old genesis. If I had to do over I’d get mother genesis, worth the extra $$

I have a spirit that picked up end of season at target. I used to have an old genesis. If I had to do over I’d get mother genesis, worth the extra $$
It’s like driving a nice car. If you never get in the drivers seat, you’ll never know what you’re missing. Once you’ve been there, it’s difficult to go back to a ten year old car without the new creature comforts and advanced engineering. Same with Spirit vs Genesis.

Thanks for all the responses so far. I think you convinced me to spend the extra $ to get the Genesis.

I assume the 3 burners model gets plenty hot enough to easily sear steaks? That is important for me.

Grill Grates help.

Thanks for all the responses so far. I think you convinced me to spend the extra $ to get the Genesis.

I assume the 3 burners model gets plenty hot enough to easily sear steaks? That is important for me.
You can sear quite well. If you pony up for the sear station extra burner model I can attest the searing is outstanding. Enjoy!

Back