Weber EX6: The First Day

VELPO

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Like you all, I have been 'patiently' waiting to get my SmokeFire. I pre-ordered back in January on Amazon. Obviously there was the first delay that pushed the release date back to February 10th. When that date finally came, I got an update that said my grill would be delivered late March. I was bummed, but it then updated 24 hours later and said late February. 24 hours after that, it said it would be delivered February 14-19. What a roller coaster of emotions! Needless to say, it was delivered on Valentine's Day. Due to obligations with my wife, I did not get around to putting it together until this morning, February 15th. I was under the impression that the grill would come with a bag of pellets. I was wrong. I spent an hour putting it together (while watching 'Seared and Smoked' videos on YouTube), which was fairly disheartening if you have not yet seen the videos. I went to my BBQ store and purchased some GMG Applewood pellets which I am currently using for my initial burn. It took EXACTLY 15 minutes for my grill to hit 600. As I write this, I'm about 20 minutes into my first burn. I will say, all of the reviews I've seen so far are with people in cold temps and snow on the ground. I'm in Southern California where it is a cool 72 degrees on this Saturday. :D Anyways, sorry for the lengthy post, but I just wanted to share some updates for those who have not yet received their SmokeFire. I have friends coming over tonight and I plan on cooking on this EX6 for the rest of the day. I will be updating with info and pictures throughout the day. You can find me on instagram @VELPO and @allidoisgrill - happy cooking! #allidoisgrill

-VELPO

Hey Guys,

Like you all, I have been 'patiently' waiting to get my SmokeFire. I pre-ordered back in January on Amazon. Obviously there was the first delay that pushed the release date back to February 10th. When that date finally came, I got an update that said my grill would be delivered late March. I was bummed, but it then updated 24 hours later and said late February. 24 hours after that, it said it would be delivered February 14-19. What a roller coaster of emotions! Needless to say, it was delivered on Valentine's Day. Due to obligations with my wife, I did not get around to putting it together until this morning, February 15th. I was under the impression that the grill would come with a bag of pellets. I was wrong. I spent an hour putting it together (while watching 'Seared and Smoked' videos on YouTube), which was fairly disheartening if you have not yet seen the videos. I went to my BBQ store and purchased some GMG Applewood pellets which I am currently using for my initial burn. It took EXACTLY 15 minutes for my grill to hit 600. As I write this, I'm about 20 minutes into my first burn. I will say, all of the reviews I've seen so far are with people in cold temps and snow on the ground. I'm in Southern California where it is a cool 72 degrees on this Saturday. :D Anyways, sorry for the lengthy post, but I just wanted to share some updates for those who have not yet received their SmokeFire. I have friends coming over tonight and I plan on cooking on this EX6 for the rest of the day. I will be updating with info and pictures throughout the day. You can find me on instagram @VELPO and @allidoisgrill - happy cooking! #allidoisgrill

-VELPO
So all is going well? I am always glad to hear GOOD news!

Exactly. I've been so nervous which is why I had to get this going myself!
YIPPEE! Have a great time and enjoy your people and your food! Oh, and the pellets thing... I don't think Amazon signed onto that, but I know Weber had a code for a bag and free shipping. Maybe a few others like BBQ guys did too.

Ok, so here is the unfortunate update. My grill reached 600 for the initial burn with ease. After an hour, it was time to drop the temp to 280 so I can do some cooking. When the grill hit 280, it started making a buzzing noise which I thought was letting me know that it had reach temp. Unfortunately, the controller had become frozen and I could not do anything within the app or on the controller itself. I powered it off and restarted, it is now doing a reboot. What a shame.

Ok, so here is the unfortunate update. My grill reached 600 for the initial burn with ease. After an hour, it was time to drop the temp to 280 so I can do some cooking. When the grill hit 280, it started making a buzzing noise which I thought was letting me know that it had reach temp. Unfortunately, the controller had just freezed and I could not do anything within the app or on the controller itself. I powered it off and restarted, it is now doing a reboot. What a shame.
Well CRAP! So sorry to hear this. Thanks for posting. Hope you still have a good cook.

After the reboot, I was able to set it at 320 and just let it roll. It's been holding steady since. I have my ThermoPro in there as well to compare temps. My ThermoPro was showing 319-330 this past hour.

Attachments

• 20200215_160132.jpg
    20200215_160132.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 81
Alright, so I did have that hiccup when I tried to bring the temp from 600 to 280, but since then it has been rock solid. You will see from my previous post that the right side bacon was much more crispy than the left side. The bacon is "the best bacon I've ever had" via the wife. I agree, this was some great bacon. I was distracted and left the tri tip on a little too long so I did not get to do a sear as long as I would like, but it still had some great bark on it, even with only a minute of sear. When I cranked the temp up to 600 from the 300 that I was cooking at, I was pleasantly surprised at how quick it got up to temp. Overall, very pleased. Really hoping that the hiccup was just an anomaly.

I did forget to take a pic of the tri tip searing, so the pic I am posting is just a quick pic I took while it was still 300 on that right side.

I am now putting some shrimp skewers and a couple pork tenderloins on.... stand by.

Cheers! #allidoisgrill

Attachments

• tritip2.jpg
    tritip2.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 85
  • tritip1.jpg
    tritip1.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 77
Try tip looks great! I did one a week ago on my Weber kettle and slow and sear before the EX4 arrived. Now I want another!

Back