Weber Connect App

txkelly65

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire Gen2 EX4
I hae a Gen 2 24" SmokeFire.

Is the Weber Connect App designed to work on cellular data? When I am in my house, the app displays the grill temp and the propbe temp just fine. But when I leave the house it always says "NOT CONNECTED".

To me the app is useless unless I can see the grill specs and adjust them when I'm away. I don't need the app to tell me something in my living room when I can just go out back and see for myself.

Am I missing something?

bbqking

Staff member
3x SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grill
EX6, 3, 22” kettles, 18” kettle and a e310 gasser
I’m I’ve been able to read my temps several miles away from my house. Although I’ve haven’t attempted to change any temps while away. I use an iPhone 12 Pro Max

bbq4ever

Reaction score
I’m I’ve been able to read my temps several miles away from my house. Although I’ve haven’t attempted to change any temps while away. I use an iPhone 12 Pro Max
Please share how you do this. Have you made changes to your firewall?

Goneincognito

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX4, WSM 14.5", 22" kettle
I don't use the app but I did test that feature out once and it worked just fine for me.
No special setup required.

MrPhilGrillTX

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grill
EX6 (+ a kettle from 2003)
I was able to monitor, but not change the temperature of the smokefire remotely. Lately, I've not been able to change the temp in the app when I was home. But I didn't try the past few cooks.

TimA

Reaction score
Grill
EX6, Avacado Sequoia, Red LE, 26” Glen Blue, ‘97 Redhead, Summit Charcoal, several kettles.
If it’s hooked to your wi-fi, in theory you could check temp anywhere on the planet.

If you’re only on cellular, your limitations are within the proximity of the grill, I’ve both had and not had connection from the same spot in the house, maybe 20 feet away.

abmet

2x SOTM Winner
Reaction score
If you only are connected to Bluetooth then won’t work from away, but if you connect the SmokeFire to Wi-Fi then can connect while on cellular. It’s been a while but I’ve run to store while smoking something and able to monitor temps.

tcsm

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX6
Just make sure your Smokefire is connected to Wifi, then when you are not in Bluetooth range you can monitor over Cellular.

nickryder007

Reaction score
Are you sure you’re reading the actual temperature? My experience has been that whatever temperature it showed when you left the house is just frozen on the display until you return.

JpsBBQ

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire ex 4, WSM 22, Weber Summit charcoal S6, Weber 22” kettle, Weber Summit natural gas grilling station, various Traegers, Camp Chef WW36, couple BGE’s, pit barrel cooker, and some other stuff
Are you sure you’re reading the actual temperature? My experience has been that whatever temperature it showed when you left the house is just frozen on the display until you return.
Shouldn’t be. Might need to refresh the page or something?

Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire EX4
I hae a Gen 2 24" SmokeFire.

Is the Weber Connect App designed to work on cellular data? When I am in my house, the app displays the grill temp and the propbe temp just fine. But when I leave the house it always says "NOT CONNECTED".

To me the app is useless unless I can see the grill specs and adjust them when I'm away. I don't need the app to tell me something in my living room when I can just go out back and see for myself.

Am I missing something?

Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire EX4
You can see and control it anywhere there is data once on wi-fibbut it ONLY connects to 2.4ghz wifi - and has to be able to “see” the router well enough to connect, Turn the grill on and launch the app. In DEVICE SETTINGS you will see wi-fi.
It likely says “not connected”.
Select your network and enter the password.

tw33k1963

Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire EX4
What kind of a phone are you using? Also, you can set per app permissions in iOS to allow usage over cellular, so make sure you are allowing Weber Connect to use cellular data (assuming you are using an Apple device)

Latest Discussions