Weber Connect App - WiFi

KevinD: any updates, just curious :)
Trying to coordinate a visit from a friend that has an iPhone. Still no contact from Weber via phone or email. 2 weeks!

I have been critical with the Weber support teams about the software for customer service. Everything appears to run off of the phone number that you call them from. So, if you are switching numbers or phones, using different emails, etc., or not definitively (I am being carefully here) letting them know that a problem still exists, you may go to the resolved pile.

To illustrate this, Weber contacted me about my opinion of the SF. I told them my thoughts and got put back in the CS complaint pile. No, they had contacted me; I had not complained to them.

The best interactions that I have had with Weber CS has been through their CS web site. However, the Weber CS web site is a nightmare and has a very high learning curve. Several times I have clicked the "Submit" button and nothing happens. Appears to be a Flash or Java script problem. If you are no careful, you think that everything has been sent and it has not been. I have commented about that multiple times to CS.

I must say that once I learned their process, the Weber CS support has been wonderful. Very nice people who are attempting to transition from burning charcoal to digital control of pellets. It is a steep learning curve but they are still working at it.

I have been critical with the Weber support teams about the software for customer service. Everything appears to run off of the phone number that you call them from. So, if you are switching numbers or phones, using different emails, etc., or not definitively (I am being carefully here) letting them know that a problem still exists, you may go to the resolved pile.

To illustrate this, Weber contacted me about my opinion of the SF. I told them my thoughts and got put back in the CS complaint pile. No, they had contacted me; I had not complained to them.

The best interactions that I have had with Weber CS has been through their CS web site. However, the Weber CS web site is a nightmare and has a very high learning curve. Several times I have clicked the "Submit" button and nothing happens. Appears to be a Flash or Java script problem. If you are no careful, you think that everything has been sent and it has not been. I have commented about that multiple times to CS.

I must say that once I learned their process, the Weber CS support has been wonderful. Very nice people who are attempting to transition from burning charcoal to digital control of pellets. It is a steep learning curve but they are still working at it.
I have saved all my email threads from CS and reply from there. Last time it took 2 weeks. I have been on hold a combined 4 hours lately and have used the callback option. Silence. In March CS was great. As I have already said, I think working from home, grilling season in high gear, and all the SF BS has them buried. I need to call them at 5am my time!

Hi Boilerbdub,

I had the exact same issue. What did the trick for me was: i created a separate SSID for my 2.4. Wifi. The SF only communicates over the 2.4 bandwith. See earlier in this post. Tip: there are networks that constantly try to push a device from the 2.4 bandwith towards the 5 GHz bandwith. You can avoid this either by disable that feature or by creating a separate SSID for the 2.4 GHz. I did the last one.

Note: i have no clue why the SF controller is so sensative it is the only device that i have encountered with this issue.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I have tried all of that. I am beginning to think it's something in the Ubiquiti settings. Have a couple more tricks I will attempt this weekend.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I have tried all of that. I am beginning to think it's something in the Ubiquiti settings. Have a couple more tricks I will attempt this weekend.
I'm also having Ubiquiti network and it works ;-), but if you want to have me check something just let me know.

Greetings

Trying to coordinate a visit from a friend that has an iPhone. Still no contact from Weber via phone or email. 2 weeks!
My friend and his iPhone paid a visit yesterday. I put my EX4 in Recovery Mode, loaded the app on his phone, and watched the magic happen! It went smoothly, no thanks to Weber support. Cooking a spatchcocked chicken today.

Since I finally have the entire update, any advice on using SmokeBoost?

I'm also having Ubiquiti network and it works ;-), but if you want to have me check something just let me know.

Greetings
Well I figured out my problem I think. I changed the 2.4g network bandwidth from 20MHz to 40MHz. Controller connected and stayed connected.

Since I finally have the entire update, any advice on using SmokeBoost?
Just got my SF yesterday. First thing I did was use smokeboost for making jerky. Turned out great. Just finished some chicken and will be making carne asada tacos tonight! My only gripes (besides pellet lid being a bit warped) is the amount of time to lower temps from a high setting. Temp going up is fast. Also can't see screen in sunlight. Without the app I would be lost wondering what the SF is doing 😂

My friend and his iPhone paid a visit yesterday. I put my EX4 in Recovery Mode, loaded the app on his phone, and watched the magic happen! It went smoothly, no thanks to Weber support. Cooking a spatchcocked chicken today.

😁 now enjoy the SF, the ability to remotely increase tempature or to shut it down are great. Watch your cooking times they will increase when using smokeboost just like the taste does 😉 see Weber FAQ details.

Well I figured out my problem I think. I changed the 2.4g network bandwidth from 20MHz to 40MHz. Controller connected and stayed connected.

That's strange as I said in earlier post in this thread, it worked the other way round for me with a previous device 40MHz to 20MHz

40MHz is the default in the UK but so long as it worked for you this way, that's great.

It is something Weber should investigate and post on their info page if it does solve the problem for people though.

Well, 3 weeks with no wifi issues. Today, the app and grill have no wifi network and again will not connect to wifi. As an added bonus, if I send a command from the app, like turn on SmokeBoost, it sends the command then the app crashes. Absolutely nothing changed. It just decided to be dumb again.
-----
I had a thought and it worked. I created a guest network just for the weber and it connected right away. This software is JUNK!
-------
Software issues aside, the smokefire did a great job maintaining the temp and point turned out really nice.
2020-06-20 19.33.51.jpg

Last edited:
As a general question, why do BBQ apps use Bluetooth? Seriously, if you get more than a few feet away the connection is blown so why not just use WiFi? I assume there is a obvious reason but it escapes me.

I suppose it is a security issue similar to the fact that you can not start your grill remotely as a safety issue. With blue tooth, you are close enough to touch the grill and you can not hijack a grill from afar. A bad answer but I am sure the IT guys have a better reason and description.

Latest Discussions

Back