Weber Connect App - WiFi

DanaM

Reaction score
I cannot get the WiFi to connect to my router. The Bluetooth connects fine. I have the grill just a couple of feet from my WiFi repeater. Anybody else have the WiFi working?

SmokeMeister

Reaction score
I cannot get the WiFi to connect to my router. The Bluetooth connects fine. I have the grill just a couple of feet from my WiFi repeater. Anybody else have the WiFi working?
Hmm, yeah mine connected right away and my access point is in my basement. I believe I read somewhere that it only works on a 2.4G network, so check that.

abmet

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Hope that’s not the case. I have Eero network and you can’t have separate names for 2.4 vs 5 GHz. I think their support can turn off 5 GHz temporarily but hopefully won’t need to resort to that. I couldn’t get mine to connect last night after putting it together but I was thinking might be because I built it in my detached garage and there isn’t strong WiFi signal. I do know some IOT devices have issues with 5 GHz networks though.

abmet

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Just to follow up, I moved my grill out of the garage last night and it connected no problem. There was an iPhone app I downloaded before attempting to connect also. My Eero network has the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5 GHz networks so appears the SmokeFire can handle that.

Billybo

Reaction score
Just to follow up, I moved my grill out of the garage last night and it connected no problem. There was an iPhone app I downloaded before attempting to connect also. My Eero network has the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5 GHz networks so appear the SmokeFire can handle that.
Good to know, I also use an eero router and beacons.

OP
DanaM

DanaM

Reaction score
Hmm, yeah mine connected right away and my access point is in my basement. I believe I read somewhere that it only works on a 2.4G network, so check that.
Also, I should have clarified, I’m referring to my new Smokefire EX6 not the Weber Connect Hub.
Will do, thanks!
I verifies it was 2.4
Will do, thanks!
I double checked that I was using the 2.4Ghz SSID and I am. Unfortunately I’m still not able to connect the WiFi. Bluetooth is working fine, so it’s not an urgent issue for me. I’m hoping a future update to the Weber Connect firmware will resolve. I have a strong WiFi signal where my grill is located so I know that’s not an issue. I’m using a Netgear C7000 router that is on the latest firmware version for my ISP. I checked several settings on my router to eliminate possible IP blocking and found nothing being blocked.

Reaction score
Same. I tried to get mine running on wifi last night. wouldn't connect. Fortunately, until the remote temperature adjustment happens, it's not something I'm worried about. I'll probably have to get a cheap router for mine because my carrier supplied my current one.

abmet

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Same. I tried to get mine running on wifi last night. wouldn't connect. Fortunately, until the remote temperature adjustment happens, it's not something I'm worried about. I'll probably have to get a cheap router for mine because my carrier supplied my current one.
Did you happen to update your app before trying?

Grey

Reaction score
No issues getting connected on my wifi. I do have my 5 and 2.4 separated. Most, if not all, IoT devices use 2.4 because of distance and wall penetration.

If you do connect the device to your wifi I highly recommend you add it to your guest network or create a separate SSID for all your IoT devices. You do not want these devices to have access to your internal network due to security.

abmet

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
No issues getting connected on my wifi. I do have my 5 and 2.4 separated. Most, if not all, IoT devices use 2.4 because of distance and wall penetration.

If you do connect the device to your wifi I highly recommend you add it to your guest network or create a separate SSID for all your IoT devices. You do not want these devices to have access to your internal network due to security.
That’s a good recommendation. I was looking at doing that but for some they need to be on same network as my phone. I’m hoping when Eero and Apple get the HomeKit functionality added to the Eero routers it will give me better options for securing IoT devices.

ktskas

Reaction score
Don't forget that your phone is what is making the initial setup on the grill. If you phone is on the 5Ghz SSID it won't matter what you choose for the grill.

ROZ!

Reaction score
I had to unpair and re-pair. Recognized my network straight away after that.

topkatt4518

Reaction score
Still will not connect to wifi. Uninstalled the app, reinstalled nothing. My phone is on the 2.4ghz part of the access point. I have wifi about 100' outside around my home so I know it is not the network. Advised Weber on the wifi issue, waiting for a response.

abmet

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
I believe the firmware updates are over bluetooth only, so hopefully that will still allow those having wifi issues to upgrade.
I can confirm, I updated my EX4 when it was only connected to my phone through Bluetooth. My phone was connected to WiFi.

topkatt4518

Reaction score
Received a reply from Weber this afternoon. The usual did you check this and this and that. Blah Blah Blah. I moved my access point within 10' of the grill and it just sits there will not connect to WiFi. My Alexa wifi portable speaker works on the other side of my driveway and that is about 70" from the house. Among my jobs at work I am the goto IT person so this is not foreign to me at all. I gave them a list of issues 6 to be exact and they only responded to the wifi and temp swings. The chute, temp difference on the probe, hopper issues and the potential for grease/ash thermal events were not touched within this last correspondence.

Latest Discussions