Weber cast iron grates FTW

rwhapham

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX4
A while back I posted about some pretty significant flare-ups I was having when doing reverse sear burgers. At least when doing about a dozen burgers at a time. This was with the stock grates that came with the EX4. I recently bought one of Weber's cast iron grates in hopes of improving the sear I was getting on various dishes. I'm happy to report, though, that as a very welcome side-effect there were no flare-ups at all with the last batch of burgers I did. Everything else about the cook was the same. I made 1/3 lb. 80/20 burgers, smoked at 250F until an internal temp of 130F, pulled off while I turned the SF up to 400F, then seared and flipped until done. The only difference this time was the sear part of the cook was done on the cast iron grate on the right side. Not a lick of fire made its way through the grates. So they certainly get my seal of approval for anyone that does a lot of high-temp cooking.

Huge fan myself!!
CF8F1B98-021B-4027-899B-1BBF8ADCAFF3.jpeg
4AE97EBB-65A2-4914-82C8-6384A8C63272.jpeg

I swap mine in and out with the stock grate on my EX4 depending on if I'm doing high heat or not. I prefer the original grate for more smoky airflow but am now loving the high-heat sear surface of the cast iron grate when I need it. Did salmon at 450F on it today and it came out great.

I swap mine in and out with the stock grate on my EX4 depending on if I'm doing high heat or not. I prefer the original grate for more smoky airflow but am now loving the high-heat sear surface of the cast iron grate when I need it. Did salmon at 450F on it today and it came out great.
I like to switch my set up around as well.
The grate on the left is stainless and I have a GBS set of stainless grates as well. That’s a nice set up too.
Then of course the new top grate is perfect for low and slow.
2F09A0DB-CAF6-43B0-AB93-304388085B48.jpeg
DFDF61F8-DC40-4FD6-B0B4-C14B57DF233F.jpeg

I have a gas e310…I could penalty just switch those out

I used my Spirit II E-310 Gas Grill grates in my EX4, they are the same size. The weird thing is...... buying two individual grates for the EX4 costs less than a pair for the E-310?!?!? Needless to say, I ordered two grates for the EX4 and they'll get put into my E-310! I put the EX4's plated wire grates in my E-310, but they are sadly lackluster over the cast iron jobs...... The EX4 is doing the heavy lifting now, but the E-310 is nice to have as a backup for those "windy" days.

And yes, I know I need to update my "mod" in another thread..... I've had some major health problems for the past 5 weeks that are slowly getting better, so hopefully by this weekend I'll have the getup and go to get it done.

I like to switch my set up around as well.
The grate on the left is stainless and I have a GBS set of stainless grates as well. That’s a nice set up too.
Then of course the new top grate is perfect for low and slow.View attachment 4164View attachment 4165
Hey, Bruno - love that top grate...where did you get that? I have an EX4 and would love to get that style of grate to help keep food from slitherin' through the cracks...

Hey, Bruno - love that top grate...where did you get that? I have an EX4 and would love to get that style of grate to help keep food from slitherin' through the cracks...
PM sent

Ditto!

Back