UPDATE (REPLACEMENT SMOKEFIRE CONTROLLER FROZE): Total Melt Down Of Weber SmokeFire EX6 Bottom Tray! Watch the Video!!!

GriLLMaRksRseXy

Reaction score
Today I have had a total heartbreak and almost entirely total melt down of my Weber EX6. I had no food cooking. I had no grease from previous cooks. The bottom of my cooker totally caught on fire and paint melted off the the front drip tray. I have MANY videos of this but it takes awhile to download the vids and compress them enough to post on the forum. I will include one video for now.

The back story of this is that last night we had two "E6" failures of ignition in a row. Both times there was a hopper full of pellets and not a single one of them was burned. I cleaned out the pellets and tried again each time. Today I tried again and it almost melted my grill to pieces. I will post more videos and pics later as I get them uploaded/downloaded but this one shows what happened.... And for the records, I will show other videos that clearly show there was not any grease in the drip tray to start this fire too.

Enough is enough. Weber needs to get out in front of this fiasco, acknowledge they have a problem and make it right with a recall/redesign, whatever. I finally returned mine to Lowes today and from what I heard at the store, they're not really flying off the shelves. I feel worried for people that are keeping these as I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they get burned (no pun intended).

Wow, that's unreal. I'm very interested to see how Weber will handle this!

@GriLLMaRksRseXy - I've also increased the size of videos that can be uploaded to hopefully make it easier.

Today I have had a total heartbreak and almost entirely total melt down of my Weber EX6. I had no food cooking. I had no grease from previous cooks. The bottom of my cooker totally caught on fire and paint melted off the the front drip tray. I have MANY videos of this but it takes awhile to download the vids and compress them enough to post on the forum. I will include one video for now.

The back story of this is that last night we had two "E6" failures of ignition in a row. Both times there was a hopper full of pellets and not a single one of them was burned. I cleaned out the pellets and tried again each time. Today I tried again and it almost melted my grill to pieces. I will post more videos and pics later as I get them uploaded/downloaded but this one shows what happened.... And for the records, I will show other videos that clearly show there was not any grease in the drip tray to start this fire too.
View attachment 322
Woah, could you tell if it was the grease pan or did pellets spill over and fall into the ash tray?

Yikes! Did you determine what was burning?

Wow, that is not good at all! Was the drawer open like that when you started? Or did it pop out by itself?

Hopefully he can add some pictures of the aftermath.... Almost seems like the metal piece below the burn pot either fell off or is loose so flames are shooting out that shouldn’t.... interesting

Holy jumping Jesus balls!!!
You have to let us all know how Weber responds to this....
The word class action lawsuit is starting to pop around in my head...

View attachment 322
Please let us know what Weber has to say about this, holy cow that's down right scary!

Woah, could you tell if it was the grease pan or did pellets spill over and fall into the ash tray?
Sorry for the delay in everyone's responses. I was pretty disheartened and this was my first weekend off in a long time so I just gave up on everything yesterday that had to do with the grill.
Here are some updates. I will post some more pics and videos today.
1. After discussing it with my girl and looking at the ash tray we found several burned pellets. She told me when she helped me clean out the pellets after the 2nd E6 code the night before that when she was pulling the grill apart while I went and got the shop vac that when she pulled up on the the heat plate that she knocked down the flavorizer bar holder in the back and when she went to lift up on the pellet chute she lifted the whole thing up and pellets fell out. I remember the pellets in grill housing but some mist have fell into the ash box. I am sure this is what caused the fire. I am not sure how many pellets fell down there because I failed to check the ash box before attempting to start the grill yesterday because I "knew" we hadn't done any cooks and "thought" it was still totally clean.
2. No the tray was shut all the way. The heat pushed it out and I could not close it until it cooled down.
3. I did not contact Weber about it yet because I had just emailed them the night before to check on my ticket i had put in 4 days ago because i had not heard from them and i wanted to add the two E6 errors to my ticket.
3. Weber has actually contacted me directly to my mailbox here as of this morning wanting to make things right and find out what happened. I will repsond to them and let them know what happened today and let you know what is being done.

Overall, me and the misses as users of the grill have some blame to put on ourselves. However I am very shocked that the amount of pellets we think could have fell down there behind the pan could have caused so much havoc.

Latest Discussions

Back