Turkey - wet, dry or no brine?

What are your Thanksgiving turkey plans? Wet, Dry or no brine?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MCombs

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX6, Weber S/S Performer, Weber 26” OTG, WSM 22, WSM 18, Camp Chef Explorer 3x
I have not decided yet between a wet or dry brine. Reading pros and cons of each. Curious as to what others may be doing. For now, I am intending to spatchcock the bird, beyond that, have not decided.

Wismokes

Reaction score
Grill
Ex6, wsm, bge
I’ve decided this year to do no brine . I’ve always bribed in years past and it’s been amazing . This year we aren’t going anywhere for thanksgiving so i want to try and inject and spatchcock the turkey . If i was going to families like years past I’d stick to the brine or test out the injected one before

JpsBBQ

Reaction score
A lot of professional cooks are big on the dry brine. I see where drying the skin out is a plus, but I don’t see crisp skin as an obstacle when using the SF. Lots of airflow in the chamber to crisp it up. When I brine it’s wet. I’ll have to do one of those comparisons I see on YouTube. I would take overall PITA in to account. Hope everyone enjoys their day as much as is possible in these times.

Bruno

3x SOTM Winner
Reaction score
I’m only doing a 7 pound breast. I want to brine and I could inject but I’m probably going Aaron Franklin style as we have had good luck with that.
peppper, salt then wrap in buttter at 135. We’ll see.

Dassman5

Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire EX4; Summit 670; Bullet Smoker 22”; Q100
I always do a fresh organically-grown Turkey from a local producer so I do not brine. Tried it once and made no difference.

abmet

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
I think I’m going no brine. Mostly due to lack of space. I guess I could make space in my beer fridge for a bucket.

MojoBones

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX6 (Slow-n-Low) / WPPO Lil Luigi (Pizza) / Summit S-670 (Everything Else)
I’ve decided this year to do no brine . I’ve always bribed in years past and it’s been amazing . This year we aren’t going anywhere for thanksgiving so i want to try and inject and spatchcock the turkey . If i was going to families like years past I’d stick to the brine or test out the injected one before

I have done turkey like that on my summit a few times and it always turned out well, good luck with your experiment!

I forget where I got this tip but they said to cut the skin along the backbone and fold it back away from where you are cutting through the ribs. After removing the spine you can fold the flaps of skin around the exposed back rib section to help protect against moisture loss and keep heat distribution more uniform.