Turkey Talk

Thinking about injecting the turkey breast with melted butter before putting it on the grill. Anyone do this and how were the results? I’m also considering cooking the turkey spatchcockEd @ 350 degrees. Is that a good temp?
I have not injected with butter but I almost always cook one full bird with fortified soft butter under the skin with bay leaves so I think that would work. Great taste, super moist and great drippings for gravy as well. I also spatchcock a second bird. All birds are treated to a corn starch mixed in with EV Olive Oil coating for the skin and 24 hour wet brine as prep. I use lemon, onion, garlic cloves in the cavity of a full bird or in a pan under the spatchcocked bird for aromatics.

Do you think that's true for all meats? I've been wet brining my chicken breasts and they seem to be consistently better. Haven't tried dry with them.
Not sure about all meats. I’ve been successful doing both wet and dry brining with poultry. Pork and beef I salt and refrigerate overnight. Try both and see what works and what you prefer. As mentioned, be cautious with salt depending on what kind of bird you have as most, other than all natural fresh turkeys, have already been brined with a salt solution.

Not sure about all meats. I’ve been successful doing both wet and dry brining with poultry. Pork and beef I salt and refrigerate overnight. Try both and see what works and what you prefer. As mentioned, be cautious with salt depending on what kind of bird you have as most, other than all natural fresh turkeys, have already been brined with a salt solution.
This is why I’ve shied away from the dry brine. You can get horrible results from terribly over seasoning with salt if not careful. Not to say you can’t overcome this potential issue. You surely can. It has to be considered though.

I'm wanting to do a turkey this year. Any tips/tricks/suggestions? Typically my wife has done a breast in the oven, but I'm thinking the whole bird on the EX6.
Been using this recipe. Even though it is the other brand, I haven't found one better!!

Attachments

• Turkey.pdf
    69.5 KB · Views: 51
This is why I’ve shied away from the dry brine. You can get horrible results from terribly over seasoning with salt if not careful. Not to say you can’t overcome this potential issue. You surely can. It has to be considered though.
There is an amount of coarse Kosher salt to use per pound of meat. The brining is more for retaining moisture and tenderizing more so than seasoning. If I brine, dry or wet, I avoid rubs that contain salt. As stated above, do what you feel like trying, experiment and enjoy the cook and the food you make.

I spatchcocked a Turkey last year for the first time. Didn’t inject, just used olive oil and rub. I cooked at 300 and then bumped to 350 when got up to 150 or so. I brushed with olive oil and rub couple times while was cooking.

Latest Discussions

Back