Tri Tip Availability in Florida???

GriLLMaRksRseXy

Reaction score
Anyone???

I am in Tallahassee. The only place that has anything called Tri Tip at all is Publix and they pre cut it into little "steaks" I would love to try my hand at grilling this. Anyone got any ideas?

After I retired from IT, I went to work for Publix. I ended up in the Meat Dept before I retired for real, so I know they will do this for their customers. Publix will bend over backwards to help customers get pretty much anything they want. Ask for the Meat Dept Mgr, Asst Mgr or senior meat cutter on the floor to order you a Tri Tip, uncut. They can have it for you in less than a week, sometimes the next day or two.

After I retired from IT, I went to work for Publix. I ended up in the Meat Dept before I retired for real, so I know they will do this for their customers. Publix will bend over backwards to help customers get pretty much anything they want. Ask for the Meat Dept Mgr, Asst Mgr or senior meat cutter on the floor to order you a Tri Tip, uncut. They can have it for you in less than a week, sometimes the next day or two.
Awesome. Thank you so much! I see there are a couple of cuts called tri tip. Can I just tell them tri tip or so I need to be more granular?

Last edited:
😊 Being meat cutters, they better know. Just be sure it’s one of the mgrs or senior meat cutters.

I just got a beautiful tri tip from Grand Western Steaks in Ft Lauderdale. I live in SW Florida, came overnight. I'll send you a pic if you want. It's in my deep freeze.

Here you go. Call them for the best price

Attachments

• IMG_0153.jpeg
    IMG_0153.jpeg
    440 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0154.jpeg
    IMG_0154.jpeg
    428.5 KB · Views: 57
Got it from my local butcher/grocer. American butchers know it as sirloin cap or culotte. Buy the whole thing, untrimmed and cut it with the grain into steaks. Grand Western has them too.

Attachments

• 60486101974__94FB8862-0FD0-467F-AF41-2C0D0D4A4A54.jpeg
    60486101974__94FB8862-0FD0-467F-AF41-2C0D0D4A4A54.jpeg
    501.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I like two different ways to cook it. Kettle with slow and sear, indirect at about 250 to 115 degrees then sear it to 130 for med rare. Or Smoke Fire at 250 to 115, take it off to rest while the grill heats to 550 then back on for a sear. Both ways work great.

Got it from my local butcher/grocer. American butchers know it as sirloin top or culotte. Buy the whole thing and cut it with the grain into steaks. Grand Western has them too.
I noticed on the upc code on your picture it says sirloin roast tips. Would that be another option to ask for if the other two names do not work?

Back