Treager pellets in the Smokefire

Adcom 565

Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire EX6 2nd Gen
I have been using Weber pellets and all is fine so far. However for Christmas I got a large bag of Treager pellets can I used them, without issues, I tried to return but having issues trying to find the place. So just thinking maybe I will use it, but wanted to ask the forum. Thanks

Should be fine.

I have been using Weber pellets and all is fine so far. However for Christmas I got a large bag of Treager pellets can I used them, without issues, I tried to return but having issues trying to find the place. So just thinking maybe I will use it, but wanted to ask the forum. Thanks
Used both, Weber add better smoke, little to none with Traeger

First pellets I used in my SF was treager. Did NOT like the flavor or results. I now used mostly pit boss. I have used Weber pellets, Weber pellets are the best. Best flavor, best smoke, and best results. The only reason I don’t use more Weber is cost and availability.

Tried Traeger for a few cooks after going through the comp bag of Weber pellets. Traeger pellets on sale at Costco. I didn't even finish a hopper full before I opened the dump chute and into a 5 gal pail they went and reside. Back to Weber and all is good...................better smoke, better flavor.

I primarily use lumberjack or weber. Both are excellent. I have used traeger in the past and noticed more noise from the auger during use and had a auger jam once. I believe this was due to the size difference of the pellets and the amount of dust in the traeger bag. Will not buy again but if I had some as a present I would use them up just ensure that you sift the dust out first.

Sounds like possible issues, now debating, I bought an extra 4 bags of Weber today as they where on sale, so I figured to stock up a bit. I think they sell them at Costco so maybe I will try to return but I will don’t know how it will go. If no dice, then I will try to use them up. Thanks for the feedback, and by the why other then the initial startup, getting the software updates, more of my own issues. But I can see where people might struggle, but after that it works as expected. I did notice if I change the temp from 225 to 250 it doesn’t try to change the temp, but it I put it at 275 it moves quickly. But nothing major holds temp well and the ribs and Pork loin turned out perfect. Very happy with it glad I went with the smokefire EX6. Thanks guys!

I used some I had left over for the burn in and a couple of cooks before Weber pellets were available here and the only thing I found was that they were slightly larger which made the auger work a bit harder.

Sounds like possible issues, now debating, I bought an extra 4 bags of Weber today as they where on sale, so I figured to stock up a bit. I think they sell them at Costco so maybe I will try to return but I will don’t know how it will go. If no dice, then I will try to use them up. Thanks for the feedback, and by the why other then the initial startup, getting the software updates, more of my own issues. But I can see where people might struggle, but after that it works as expected. I did notice if I change the temp from 225 to 250 it doesn’t try to change the temp, but it I put it at 275 it moves quickly. But nothing major holds temp well and the ribs and Pork loin turned out perfect. Very happy with it glad I went with the smokefire EX6. Thanks guys!
I am not surprised that a 25 degree set point change did not immediately result in an corresponding change in the pellet feed rate and temperature rise. PID controllers work on a feedback loop from the grill temperature probe compared to set point, but they are typically programmed to “ not chase their tail”, meaning small temperature variations that do not materially impact performance are rejected by the “D” (do or not do) function. Overtime, however, the “I” function would have eventually corrected. However there is also a lag time between the pellet feed —> combustion —> temperature rise, hence the slower reaction time.

At least that is the way I used to program PID controllers.

Last edited:
Why would you return the Weber pellets? They the best for the SF,

Latest Discussions

Back