Thanksgiving Turkey

Be a small one for us this year I’m planning on going with a Franklin style breast.
First one I did was amazing!

I’m probably going to do just a breast or two

I am a firm believer in brining poultry and turkey in particular. you can brew your own, but I have used several Commerical brines and they are so good there is no desire to mess around making my own.

I've been using an old Southern Living formula for years for chickens and turkeys. Equal parts apricot preserves and kahlua blended and inserted under the skin, inside the bird and over the skin. I've used apple, cherry and pecan singly and mixed in different combinations. Birds come out sweet.

I am a firm believer in brining poultry and turkey in particular. you can brew your own, but I have used several Commerical brines and they are so good there is no desire to mess around making my own.
Where do you purchase commercial brine? Not sure I have seen that before?

Where do you purchase commercial brine? Not sure I have seen that before?
At a local grill shop, maybe an Ace Hardware, or online if that’s not an option. Meat Church, Cosmo Q, Malcolm Reed, Heath Riles, Butchers BBQ are among the best selling brands in the world. Traeger also sells a brine/ rub combo kit that’s quite good as well.
The brines might bring a little flavor, but the real magic is their moisture retention. Most contain phosphates which are harmless, but grab on to the moisture and don’t let it go. It’s a game changer and worth the added effort for special occasions or when trying to impress.

Best of luck with it, 🥃

I’m actually doing 2 turkeys now….

Early Tday with grandaughters. 5.5# breast, wet brine, smoked at 325 for 2.5 hrs.

Attachments

• 20211124_175604.jpg
    20211124_175604.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20211124_181323.jpg
    20211124_181323.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 15
Getting ready to put the turkeys into a wet brine. One in Kinders brine, the other in meat church bird brine…just a short overnight brine.

Back