Temperature Drops

vanessaga

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX4
Hey Weber fans! We’re about 2 weeks into owning our EX4 and while our first 3 cooks have been wonderful, our cooks since have had mega temp issues. The temperature will reach the goal and then continue dropping to nothing. This has happened every time. One time there was a grill flame out error, the other times there is no error and the e glow plug is on but temperature can’t sustain. I’ve read in other forums that this may happen when not using Weber specific pellets..but seriously? That can’t be the issue

Nope. Glow plug doesn’t run the grill. Remove the wire guard and call customer service if needed.

The flameout issues are typically something to do with the pellet feed. Either pellets are not getting through the hopper to the auger or some thing is blocking them. Is it a new unit? Version two?

Yes... Seriously, it can and does.

What pellets are you using?

The Weber SmokeFire was designed to use their pellets at that size (diameter) and the software was also written for the burn rate of said pellets.
Since Lumberjack make Weber's pellets and they are exactly the same, you can use those in their place.
You can of course use other pellets but you open yourself up to issues and potentially damage the unit (specifically the auger).

Some things to check apart from your choice of pellet if not Weber or Lumberjack are the following.

Condition of the pellets. Are they fresh? (A "fresh" pellet should make a snapping noise when you break it.)
Compacted pellet dust in the auger (5min job to remove the auger and clear).
The condition and assembly of the burn pot (do you clean it before each use and did you put it together correctly?)
Pellet bridging (common in pellet grills especially if using larger pellets)
Is the hopper finger guard still installed? (pellets bridge easier if this is in).

If you have checked all these things and are confident all is well (check on here for reference pics if needed) and you still have the issue when using Weber pellets, I would suggest you call Weber for further assistance.

Hey Weber fans! We’re about 2 weeks into owning our EX4 and while our first 3 cooks have been wonderful, our cooks since have had mega temp issues. The temperature will reach the goal and then continue dropping to nothing. This has happened every time. One time there was a grill flame out error, the other times there is no error and the e glow plug is on but temperature can’t sustain. I’ve read in other forums that this may happen when not using Weber specific pellets..but seriously? That can’t be the issue
I just had the same issue twice and figured out that it was the pellets bridging. Both times I also had an off a lot of smoke coming out of the pellet hopper and when I stirred the pellets around all of a sudden a huge amount of them descended into the auger. Another for a member told me to take the wire guard on top of the auger out. I am also wondering if this is specific to the Weber Applewood pellets because both times this has happened it has been with those pellets which are up to 2 inches long. Never had an issue with the Weber master blend pellets

Using larger pellets is highly unlikely to damage the auger or anything else. Smokefire runs larger diameter pellets with ease, and any manufacturer is going to run it on all sorts of pellets during r&d. That’s just the reality of it.

Because that’s the draw of pellet, to choose between different blends and types.

I also had some loss of temp. It was always bridging of pellets. Run your hand down directly over the auger to break up any void and do so throughout the cook

Latest Discussions

Back