Temp Probe Connection Issues

Kmdodge

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX4
Hi there! I've had an EX4 now for almost a year (Gen 1). I have almost from the very beginning (but now getting worse) had issues with the temp probes not plugging in solidly into the controller. I have one Weber one and one after market, and I experience the same exact issues with both. You definitely have to make sure they are completely plugged in, but most of the time I still have to push them gently to one side or the other or just keep micro-fiddling with it until it stays registered on the screen. I've made sure there is nothing in the sockets, and I've made sure that the probe plugs themselves are clean. I even try to rotate between them to make sure that I don't wear out any particular one by using it all the time. Is anyone else experiencing this, and if so, what did you do about it?

Thanks!

UPDATE: I wanted to provide an update to this post. I went ahead and ordered a couple of new probes directly from Weber, and low and behold, that was the issue. The ports are perfectly fine, it's that the aftermarket probes that "fit the Weber" actually "sort-of" fit the Weber. They worked fine for a while, but after some use, their connection starts to get sloppier and sloppier. It's worth the (literally) few extra bucks to just buy the Weber ones. Also, the holders that come with the Weber probes are better IMHO. Thanks again for all of the input, community friends - I learnt sumthin'! :)

Last edited:
I have not yet...I thought I would ask here first to see if I was doing something wrong. Lol

There isn't much to get wrong if it just wont plug in (especially if its getting worse).The only thing I would recommend is to make sure you are pushing them in hard enough but it seems like you are already doing that.

All probes are not the same. I would not recommend using a probe other than what is explicitly made for that unit. I know people do but I don’t think it’s a good idea. The probes are not like batteries. The ends are likely slightly different even if only a minuscule bit. The Weber probes are likely a perfect match with the male and female ends. I’d bet that that is what has caused the issue.

I actually bought an aftermarket set of temp probes, and they fit perfectly. No issues.

I actually bought an aftermarket set of temp probes, and they fit perfectly. No issues.
I’m not saying it’s impossible, but if it’s as he described as having to fiddle to get good conductivity, I would assume he has damaged his ports by using a product that is very similar but not perfect. As always, I could be wrong.

Lol.

I’m not saying it’s impossible, but if it’s as he described as having to fiddle to get good conductivity, I would assume he has damaged his ports by using a product that is very similar but not perfect. As always, I could be wrong.
Yeah...the issue is I have one Weber and one not. They appear identical, but to your point, with small ends like that it would be easy for the contacts not to align perfectly. Not the case since one is Weber and there has been no forcing of ends into ports. Thank you all for the input! I will reach out to Weber. Just makin sure if this was a one-off sitch or if it was a known “thing”...

I had one of my two probes act goofy at the plug end, the first time I used it. It never felt like it seated all the way, and if I wiggled the wire, it acted flaky. I switched ports a couple of times and finally managed to find something that made it happy and it was fine for the rest of the cook. The other probe was fine the whole time.

Naturally, I carefully made note of which one it was, so that next time I use it I can keep an eye on it....NOT.🤨

Latest Discussions

Back