Temp drop detected

bbqking

4x SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grill
EX6, 3, 22” kettles, 18” kettle and a e310 gasser
Just got a message on my ap, and the screen on my EX6. “Temp drop detected. Close lid, or check pellets,” the lid is closed and the pellets are just fine....? The temp is staying at 350 where I set it....strange. Only thing is I’m using Weber pellets in this cook. They had the charcoal flavored under them, so they are probably just now starting to feed through. Maybe that’s why?’

Snap, it just shot up to over 500?! Opened lid and it dropped to 380. Shut the kids and it start climbing again? Also looks like smoke coming up from pellet Shute...

Would make sense.

Shutting her down then restart. The struggle is real. I have had her run out of pellets before, then when it started feeding through again the temp shot up some.

Last edited:
Shutting her down then restart. The struggle is real.
One of the reasons I always use a Weber ambient temperature grill probe permanently connected to Probe#4 position.. I always want a second set of “eyes” showing what is really going on with the grill temp.

It is also possible that the grill probe, which gives Grill temperature input to the PID controller, is gunked up or coated and not providing accurate input. When both probes agree I am happy...when not, time to start investigating.

just a thought.

well I restarted and set it to 350 again. It went up to 415, but now it back at 350. I’m thinking it’s probably the Weber pellets starting to feed through. Staying right at 350 now. Bit of a scare there for a minute.

I had something similar happen to me couple times aswell. Start it up say I pit it on 225. Come check and its on like 320😂 open lid then close then its stable. I feel like since the June update im flying through pellets tho goes way quicker then before

I am not sure what the app has to do with performance but I have had problems since the 0.9.12 version has come out.

I'm wondering if the welded auger from the ex4 and the ex6 are any different. My neighbour has an ex6 (myself ex4) he had a spare one so I did put that one in mine when I had problems firing it up a couple months ago so maybe that's it. I dont know. I'm happy (knock on wood) that since the June update I dont have any failures anymore.

One of the reasons I always use a Weber ambient temperature grill probe permanently connected to Probe#4 position.. I always want a second set of “eyes” showing what is really going on with the grill temp.
Dassman5, could you explain to me the concept of different probes for ambient and meat temps? I do not understand why they should be different.

Dassman5, could you explain to me the concept of different probes for ambient and meat temps? I do not understand why they should be different.
Ambient is the temp of the inside of your SmokeFire, meat temps are the temperature of the inside of your meat.

I had something similar happen to me couple times aswell. Start it up say I pit it on 225. Come check and its on like 320😂 open lid then close then its stable. I feel like since the June update im flying through pellets tho goes way quicker then before
Had the temp spike thing happen to me once as well. Did the same, opened the lid and shut it and it almost immediately rectified itself. Weird. I also think I’m using more pellets, but I haven’t been doing low and slow cooks. I’ll maybe do some this weekend. We’ll see.

I actually think when the Weber pellets started feeding through, being a different size, it might have taken a moment to adjust the speed and whatever...it just got cornfused for a quick minute.

Like Bruno said!

Like Bruno said!
Yes, that is the definition, but I can use a meat probe to measure ambient temps by simply installing it in a spring type ambient temp probe holder. They do make a different type of probe for ambient, but I wonder why. I suppose there is a reason?
I sometimes use a probe port like you describe for certain cooks but I don’t like leaving it there for cooks over 300. Just a lot of wear and tear on the probe leads.

Back