Struggling to reach temp

bbqking

4x SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grill
EX6, 3, 22” kettles, 18” kettle and a e310 gasser
So I set my smoke fire to go to 450. It took it awhile to get there, but once there it stayed, put the wings on and opened to flip them. It dropped down to 260. Flipped closed lid, 30 minutes later it was at 390...dropping to 380-390 back and forth. Cranked her up to 500, and she started climbing again.

Hmm that’s odd, sounds like an issue I had before replacing the chute and new firmware update.

Well I’m thinking it might be the Weber pellets, never had any issues at all with other pellets, as soon as the Weber pellets started feeding through, issues.

Might have been the difference in pellet causing the PID control to need to adjust. If your pellets before the Weber burn hotter it will set the feed rate slower than the Weber. Then as the weber pellets start feeding through it will have to take time to readjust it’s feedrate to match a cooler burn rate (feed more pellets).

10-4

Had the same issue smoking A brisket the other day. Put in a call to Weber with the same screenshots below. Still waiting for a reply. Noticed my target temperature was reached yet my probe was 44° under.

Attachments

• 53704785-2274-4747-AAB4-EEDDCCB9E3A9.png
    53704785-2274-4747-AAB4-EEDDCCB9E3A9.png
    690.6 KB · Views: 71
I’ve noticed that I’d really tends tends to undershoot in the 200-300 degree range when using a separate ambient probe. However my cook results come out good if I just go by the Smokefire temp. I tried compensating by increasing temps before and overcooked a meal.

Once over 300 and the fan kicks into higher speed it’s just about spot on.

I’ve noticed that I’d really tends tends to undershoot in the 200-300 degree range when using a separate ambient probe. However my cook results come out good if I just go by the Smokefire temp. I tried compensating by increasing temps before and overcooked a meal.

Once over 300 and the fan kicks into higher speed it’s just about spot on.
I, on the other hand, find that my separate ambient probe tends to track the SF temp probe fairly well, although it alway lags the display temp during temperature changes.

Given the nature of using solid fuel (pellets) and the time offset it takes from feed to combustion at lower temperatures, I tend not to worry very much as long as they stay within 20 degrees or so of one another when smoking.

Next time, try turning off your phone app and monitor temp levels at the controller. I've also used my igrill for checking temp.

I, on the other hand, find that my separate ambient probe tends to track the SF temp probe fairly well, although it alway lags the display temp during temperature changes.

Given the nature of using solid fuel (pellets) and the time offset it takes from feed to combustion at lower temperatures, I tend not to worry very much as long as they stay within 20 degrees or so of one another when smoking.
And I agree generally mine has been in the 20 degree range. I worried about it previously but since do not, and just trust the controller now and do not use the additional ambient. Been a lot better for my OCD nature when it comes to these things 😊

Guys, I just noticed that they snuck a firmware update in sometime. I am at 4042 and I have been having temp increase problems. Version 4035 worked better for me, I believe. Take a look and see what version that you have now. The Weber web site says the most current is 4035. There is a disconnect somewhere.

I also got a Weber air probe. I am doing some smoky hot pretzels today at 200 (no SmokeBoost). It took 45 minutes to stabile at 200. During that time, it never went over 200, which is good to prevent burnt meat. Just watchin'. And drinkin'. No thinkin'.

Guys, I just noticed that they snuck a firmware update in sometime. I am at 4042 and I have been having temp increase problems. Version 4035 worked better for me, I believe. Take a look and see what version that you have now. The Weber web site says the most current is 4035. There is a disconnect somewhere.
Interesting I’ll check mine tomorrow. Raining today or I’d go plug it in and see.

It is a rock at 200. Generally, plus or minus 5 degrees. That is closer that my cookin'.

This is my second ex 4 (returned the first one). Last weekend in the middle of the 6 hour cook, my temperature dropped and kept going down. I shut down the unit and restarted it. The temperature reached the set 250 but 20 minutes later dropped to 170. Today I took the auger and chute assy out. My EX 4 has the newer black 1 piece chute and rev f. Any suggestions on what to do next? Has anyone else had a failure with the new "fixes". Yes, Im using Weber pellets and yes the software is current.

Back