Storing my EX6 over winter

JimBob

Reaction score
Grill
EX6
Hello group,

quick one: I live in Finland - Northern Europe. Here winters can get to -30C / -22F. That in mind I was planning to move my EX6 to my garage where I have temp above freezing all year round. However, moving the Ex6 there would mean going down some stairs etc. so we would need to lift it and that seems to be impossible from the right side of the grill where the table is. Thus, the grill is sitting on my terrace, under roof lip, wrapped to Weber protective hood.

Can I store it outside during the winter, how are the electronics going to handle that? Will this void warranty?

What's your take and experience?

Thanks!

Where I live it regularly gets to 0°F and occasionally dips to -10°F if we're having an extra cold winter. I haven't owned the Smokefire through a winter yet but I never had an issue with the electronics in my previous pellet grill that was stored outside. My Smokefire will be outside this winter as well.

As far as the warranty, the manual doesn't specify any temperature ranges for neither storage nor operation so I'm guessing only Weber can answer that. Frankly I'd be curious to know if there's a temperature underneath which the grill shouldn't be used.

I would remove the pellets and burn through all that remain in the auger and chute. Temp is not an issue IMO.

Sorry, guys, but I would move south. I have really become a weather winney. :confused:

I live in switzerland and we also got some cold nights. The only issue I found so far is, that the display isn't well working when it's cold. So I only start the grill by pushing the button and then I set the temp on my mobile.

Hey all - thanks so much on answering my question. I will now feel better storing my unit outside for winter. Added benefit: I will smoke my Christmas ham (ok I have two) this time!

I also live in a cold climate. Where I live it can reach -40c. I do not have a concern with the smokefire being outside. Having said that I do not plan on using it when the ambient temp reaches bellow -25c. My experience living in this climate is nothing works in the minus 40s including vehicles let alone bbqs:). I have used the smokefire in -20c. Worked great as long as you don't mind buying an extra couple of bags of pellets.

Temps here don’t compare to those, but used mine tonight and it was 19 F which I think is around -7 C. Worked great.

Hi guys! just following-up that I’ve kept my EX6 outside under the factory cover. Going to fire it up today! It’s currently -8c, last week it was still -26c so not ideal for BBQ, but now warmer,,,

Hi guys! just following-up that I’ve kept my EX6 outside under the factory cover. Going to fire it up today! It’s currently -8c, last week it was still -26c so not ideal for BBQ, but now warmer,,,

As others have mentioned try using the Weber app to set the temperature. Recently, I cooked at 7°F (-13°C) and the controller dial was not very responsive.

The grill worked perfectly! Started right away, like under a palm tree! Used the app to set temp etc.
Great to hear! Enjoy!

Back