Spare parts.

Goneincognito

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX4, WSM 14.5", 22" kettle
Hi,
I have a "Gen 2" EX4 on order (should hit Australia in a couple of weeks) and I was wondering what spare parts I should be looking into picking up?
The unit will come with the upgraded parts that are being sent to users overseas and I believe it comes with a spare glow plug. I got a pack of 10 fuses this morning to replace the one at the power switch for when/if it blows. I'm not sure if there is anything else but that is all I can think of apart from the normal consumables (pellets, foil trays etc).

I’ve also preordered the EX4 here on OZ. I hadnt seen anything about getting a spare glow plug but if the case awesome! That seems to be the one key spare part handy to have on hand based on reports here that have caused many to hang up their aprons waiting on a replacement 😀

im expecting other parts like auger and hopper chute etc are not required as we will be getting the ‘Gen 2’ that already has the mods incorporated.

Good idea to get some spare fuses too, wouldn’t be a bad idea If Weber through an extra one or two of this in also for good measure 😎

Really excited to start cooking on this beast, and am optimistic it should be much smoother sailing than the poor folks encountered with the ‘Gen 1’ units 🤞👍🏼

The fuses were $1.20 at Jaycar. I only got 10 because they were in a sealed pack and didnt want them loose. Im pretty sure I heard something about the glow plug but I could be wrong.

Have fun mates! Looking forward to your contributions.

The fuses were $1.20 at Jaycar. I only got 10 because they were in a sealed pack and didnt want them loose. Im pretty sure I heard something about the glow plug but I could be wrong.

it would make sense and hoping you’re right, but if it only comes with one it will be a worthy investment to grab a spare from Weber Time will tell 😀

Have fun mates! Looking forward to your contributions.

thanks! Will be great to post first cooks and add to the ‘Weekend Cooks’ thread!🦘 😁🥩🥓🥘😁 🇦🇺

According to the Weber.com site, the glow plugs just increased by $10, and now are $29.84 in the US.

I have a support request in to Weber asking why such a huge price 50% increase in price on what seems to be a “wear and tear” item with a fairly significant incident of failure.

So they will be about $50-60 here in Australia.

I’m not sure what the issue has been with glow plugs as I have not had an issue nor have any of my friends that have SF. That said, they are a wear item but should last many years without issue. Many years.

Are the glow plugs being installed improperly and shorting out due to contact with adjacent metal or something? There has to be an issue that would cause premature failure of any sort of scale.

I’m not sure what the issue has been with glow plugs as I have not had an issue nor have any of my friends that have SF. That said, they are a wear item but should last many years without issue. Many years.

Are the glow plugs being installed improperly and shorting out due to contact with adjacent metal or something? There has to be an issue that would cause premature failure of any sort of scale.
I have not had an issue either.

Most of the failures reported on the other sites appear to be related to either not having a firm ground connection between the glow plug and its holder or the failure to seat the glow plug tightly and correctly in its holder during assembly....the former being the reason that many have opted to install a small pipe clamp to assure a good contact.

Having said that, I do find it curious that Weber elected to provide extra glow plugs (along with their logo beer glasses) to all registered owners.

I have not had an issue either.

Most of the failures reported on the other sites appear to be related to either not having a firm ground connection between the glow plug and its holder or the failure to seat the glow plug tightly and correctly in its holder during assembly....the former being the reason that many have opted to install a small pipe clamp to assure a good contact.

Having said that, I do find it curious that Weber elected to provide extra glow plugs (along with their logo beer glasses) to all registered owners.
I think it’s just belt and suspenders. I bet they realize people are having issues installing that part and it’s causing failure so they preemptively send some parts along as a gesture of good will. They are digging out of the hole they created by launching the unit before the software and firmware was ready.
I will say the glow plugs install is a PITA and I noted when installing it that I could see people not getting this done properly. MayBe they will have them Installed in the new run of grills. The thing just doesn’t seat very well IMO.

I think it’s just belt and suspenders. I bet they realize people are having issues installing that part and it’s causing failure so they preemptively send some parts along as a gesture of good will. They are digging out of the hole they created by launching the unit before the software and firmware was ready.
I will say the glow plugs install is a PITA and I noted when installing it that I could see people not getting this done properly. MayBe they will have them Installed in the new run of grills. The thing just doesn’t seat very well IMO.
I suggested to Weber quite a while ago that they need to redesign the glow plug connection to its holder. Glow plugs in diesel cars, trucks and other equipment have a tight, secure connection to ground and have a correspondingly longer life-span.

Last edited:
Yeah it seems pretty critical that the plug is fully seated and has good contact. Fortunately I’m still on my original and have four spares. I purchased two from Weber just before they shipped out the two with the beer glasses. I grabbed a pack of fuses to have on hand as well.

So what I am taking from this is that I probably don't need a spare glow plug or 2 although its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Is there anything I may need that I have not thought of?

So what I am taking from this is that I probably don't need a spare glow plug or 2 although its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Is there anything I may need that I have not thought of?
At least one spare glow plug and several spare fuses. They are Fast blow 1.6 Amp 250 volt or F1.6A250V available on Amazon or any large electronics or auto/ truck parts store.

I have had no issues with glow plugs or fuses. I think it’s a good idea to have a glow plug on hand, they did send us all a couple spares. I’m hoping I don’t have to mess with fuses.

Back