Smoking a 20 pound turkey

MPR

Reaction score
Grill
Smoke fire pellet
Hello everyone I’m new to the pellet grill and would like to smoke a 20 pound turkey does anybody have a recipe? Does anybody know how long that might take? Thank you in advance for the help

I spatchcocked a Turkey for Thanksgiving. it was 15.6 lbs and took around 4 hours on my EX4 at 300 degrees. I rubbed it with olive oil and used Holy Voodoo rub. There are some legit cooks on there that probably have some better recommendations too.

I honestly think the next Turkey I do will be spatchcocked. I always shove seasoned butter up under the skin in my turkeys. That being said I have only done Turkey breast on the pellet grill. The boneless one was excellent.

I love doing boneless breasts too. Make great sandwiches. I loosely follow Aaron Franklin‘s method where I wrap in foil with butter once they get to 145 range. Immensely better than when I cooked them unwrapped. Thanks to @Bruno for introducing me to that method.

Also, you might want to go with a smaller turkey for your first go. 20lbs is huge, and may be more difficult to get the best results. I recommend 15lbs or less.

Also, you might want to go with a smaller turkey for your first go. 20lbs is huge, and may be more difficult to get the best results. I recommend 15lbs or less.
I cooked the bird for 30 minutes a pound butter and dry rub!

Attachments

• 2794D57C-6221-40DD-A206-8FDDD07D5B18.jpeg
    2794D57C-6221-40DD-A206-8FDDD07D5B18.jpeg
    452.7 KB · Views: 29
Have yet to do one in the pellet cooker. On the Genesis I spatchcocked the bird and have done whole, about 15 lbs on the Weber SMS. You go for 160 in the breast, 175-180 in the thighs. I did the butter under the skin with Meathead’s Simon and Garfunkel rub. I have also used a pan under the bird with all kinds of stuff in it to make a delicious gravy following his advice. Most important is to not overcook the bird.
Good Luck!!

How did @MPR do a Turkey in 30 minutes?

My 👀 must have played tricks on me…I could have sworn a saw 30 minutes with no lbs…I even double and triple checked it….then again my old timers may have blinded me to the obvious….lol makes sense though.

Back