Smoker Box Wing Test

Beans&Cornbread

Reaction score
Grill
EX6
I want to share a successful test from the other night that illustrates another benefit of the SmokeFire's design. Due to the lack of a heat diffuser I was able to use a gas grill smoker box to smoke wings while cooking them hot and fast. They ended up super crispy with a good amount of smoke flavor. That's something I couldn't do on my old pellet grill.

If anyone is curious the box is V-shaped so it fits between the flavorizor bars and was filled with hickory chips. The wings cooked at 425° for about 15-20 minutes a side. Then up to 450° (with the lid open) to finish crisping them up.

As this was an experiment I only added salt and pepper so I could determine how much smoke had absorbed. They came out fantastic. Looking forward to cooking some more.

Here are some pics of the smoker box placement:

Smoker Box.jpg Wings.jpg

Then up to 450° (with the lid open) to finish crisping them up.
Just an FYI. The SF is not designed to operate with the lid up. It makes the controller go nuts.

Serious question. How do you do your wings on the SmokeFire? I struggle to get them crispy and smokey without drying them out. That's why I resorted to the smoker box. I've tried a few different techniques I've seen online, but they're always lacking in one way or another. Wings are the only thing I feel like I can't get right on any pellet grill. I'm missing something, but I don't know what. All tips are appreciated. At the end of the day I'm just trying to improve my cooking skills.

Just an FYI. The SF is not designed to operate with the lid up. It makes the controller go nuts.

I'm with you there. I wouldn't recommend cooking with the lid open in general. However, if you want to get some flames rolling to finish off a steak or crisp up some chicken skin at the end of a cook, it works great. Frankly, I do a lot more grilling than smoking on this thing and I love the way it'll kick the heat up when I want it to and put some proper char on my food.

Thanks for the idea of the extra smoker box, I can think of several uses for a setup like that. Personally, I am not one for using my SF at a high temp. For that type of cooking I prefer my other weber because I know it well but it does bring up a good point. Since Weber is marketing the SF as an all around grill that allows for both low and higher temp grilling, maybe they should consider coding up a mode for the controller to support open lid cooking too even if it meant only using the controller for pellet release and not temp display or using an additional temp probe to make the temp fluctuations less erratic.

Back