Smokefire Not igniting

Hurlburt

Reaction score
Just recently received the EX6. Was able to do one 10 hour smoke, and now the grill doesn't ignite the pellets. The firebox just fills up with pellets. It doesn't look like the glow plug is heating up. I checked all of the connections, and cannot find anything out of place. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Just recently received the EX6. Was able to do one 10 hour smoke, and now the grill doesn't ignite the pellets. The firebox just fills up with pellets. It doesn't look like the glow plug is heating up. I checked all of the connections, and cannot find anything out of place. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Remove the cover to the firebox and make sure the glow plug is centered. Also clean out any ash residue in the firebox. With the firebox cover off, fire it up and see if the glow plug is working.

Remove the cover to the firebox and make sure the glow plug is centered. Also clean out any ash residue in the firebox. With the firebox cover off, fire it up and see if the glow plug is working.

Looks like nothing is happening. I even used a thermal gun to see if its getting hot, and it isnt. Bad glow plug after one cook?

Looks like nothing is happening. I even used a thermal gun to see if its getting hot, and it isnt. Bad glow plug after one cook?
sounds like it, bummer it happened so early. I would call weber and get another on its way.
Personally I'd like to find the part number of that glowplug so I can order one to keep as a spare for when mine goes out. A bad glow plug wouldn't keep me from cooking though, I'd light the pellets with a torch :)

I read somewhere that the glow plug number is 68957. I have not checked it out with Weber, but maybe they can confirm if you call them.

Have you tried unplugging the glow plug and inserting it back in making sure it is completely seated? You have to push it in with decent force.

68957 is the correct part number. Happened to me after 4 or 5 cooks. Have them send you a backup as well as replacement if you can convince them. I didn't do that but ordered 2 additional for backup.

My glow plug failed after the 4th light up. Weber sent out one for me along with the hopper ramp. When I called back with another problem they asked if I needed anything else. I asked for a spare glow plug and they added that to the order free of charge.

Had that couple of times. They send me couple new ones. After couple of cooks same problem. Im getting the attachment now. Guy said that they found out that was the problem so you should ask for one of those aswell

I’ve been trying to call and email to purchase some additional glow plugs as backup but haven’t had any luck. I know they are slammed and the current pandemic situation not helping. They had been really responsive for me at least up until last couple weeks when I asked about glow plugs.

I’ve been trying to call and email to purchase some additional glow plugs as backup but haven’t had any luck. I know they are slammed and the current pandemic situation not helping. They had been really responsive for me at least up until last couple weeks when I asked about glow plugs.

I have literally talked to someone at Weber about 7 times in the past two weeks. The last time was this evening when I ran into an issue removing the auger from the motor during the welded chute conversion. I called them at 8:05 eastern time, hit Option 1, then #2 and let the system log my number. I got my call back at 8:38 eastern time and was on the phone with a helpful rep until well past 9:00 eastern time. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've yet to not receive a call back using this method. Shipping has been quick as well, unless something is back ordered such as the welded chute was.

I read somewhere that the glow plug number is 68957. I have not checked it out with Weber, but maybe they can confirm if you call them.

Below the link:

Part: 42 🤪

So you are looking directly at the firebox? I too had the issue but mine was pellet jam so it wasn't feeding the auger properly. Once we watched it direct, we found the problem and corrected it. The glow plug was doing what it was supposed to do for sure.
Make sure you have the latest firmware. I found it only did the update when I scanned the QR code on the display to download the app. I first just downloaded the app but they want you to go through their process.

A pellet jam is very common and caused by the auger reversing on shutdown. Happened when I first attempted to season the grill and that was caused by using non-Weber pellets which were larger. Headed out to clean my SF after the last cook which was flawless.

Back