Smoked Hamburgers - Best Method

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What method is everyone using to smoke/grill hamburgers on the Smokefire?

bbqking

2x SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grill
EX6, 2, 22” kettles, and a e310 gasser
I did mine on a wired pan turned out great, I didn’t even have to flip them
3BF95BEF-974D-48D0-983C-51774D23D9AA.jpeg
E29E0EB1-BCB9-4333-B945-909162540293.jpeg
1981A6BE-088D-4E6C-BA2E-DD249B94911D.jpeg
33DCE16B-3E59-45CB-B78B-26427777F2A2.jpeg

Last edited:

rwhapham

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX4
I did mine on a wired pan turned out great, I didn’t even have to flip them

Interesting method. What temp and for how long did you cook? And no flipping...really? Those pics make me hungry!

bbqking

2x SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grill
Interesting method. What temp and for how long did you cook? And no flipping...really? Those pics make me hungry!
I think 350, until they looked done. I did probe them and pulled them off at 135-140. If I remember correct it was about an hour

bbqking

2x SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grill
No marinade. I think I used Salt Lick Original. I also added a tad of Chipotle Tabasco. I also added one egg to help it stick together. I just formed them by hand.
9D196FD2-86AD-449A-B9C9-B225D675421D.jpeg

Last edited:

Rustytrout58

Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire EX6
I do burgers all the time. Usually high heat like I would on a gasser. Always turn out great and with that great smoky flavor.

alexb

Reaction score
Grill
Weber Q 200
I don't smoke burgers, because I think they taste better cooked high and fast, e.g. grilled, rather than slowly. Smoked MR, they come out with a texture like they were steamed.

Instead, If I want to add natural smoke flavor to burgers is by smoking garlic or onions.
Smoke until about half cooked. then mince them up and mix with the ground beef, along with egg, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire. Then grill or sear.

Last edited:

JpsBBQ

Reaction score
I don't smoke burgers, because I think they taste better cooked high and fast, e.g. grilled, rather than slowly. Smoked MR, they come out with a texture like they were steamed.

Instead, If I want to add natural smoke flavor to burgers is by smoking garlic or onions.
Smoke until about half cooked. then mince them up and mix with the ground beef, along with egg, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire. Then grill or sear.
Burgers cooked at a lower temp , say 350 on pellet grills are quite tasty. They pick up a decent wood fired flavor IMO. I tended to lean the way you described but have tried other ways much to my enjoyment. I get bored and like to mix things up sometimes

dudemcnally

Reaction score
My favorite method is to form very thick patties, roughly 1/2lb per patty, probably 1.5" thick of 80/20 hamburger meat. Kosher salt and course ground black pepper...MSG is also a great spice to add.
I smoke the patties at 225 for about 45 min or so, or until the internal temp reaches about 115, at that point I increase the temp to 375 and finish the burgers to about 140 internal. Results in extremely juicy burgers, and one of my favorite uses of the SF's ability to smoke and grill.

Hawkman

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX4
Burgers cooked at a lower temp , say 350 on pellet grills are quite tasty. They pick up a decent wood fired flavor IMO. I tended to lean the way you described but have tried other ways much to my enjoyment. I get bored and like to mix things up sometimes
I'm totally new to pellet cooking and somewhat apprehensive. My SmokeFire arrives this weekend, and your approach looks like a straightforward way to get me started. How long do you cook burgers at 350? BTW, I'm used to cooking on Weber gas grills. Thanks!:)

JpsBBQ

Reaction score
I'm totally new to pellet cooking and somewhat apprehensive. My SmokeFire arrives this weekend, and your approach looks like a straightforward way to get me started. How long do you cook burgers at 350? BTW, I'm used to cooking on Weber gas grills. Thanks!:)
I honestly couldn’t tell you. Cook until they are done to your liking. I’m mostly gauging by look and feel, but I highly recommend a high quality instant read thermometer to check your food temps. If I was to guess I’d say 20 minutes for medium? If your interested in timing the meal I’d keep in mind all meats generally benefit from a rest after you’re done cooking. So if they are done a bit earlier than your sides, no big deal. I do flip once they are cooked enough that they easily release from the grid or you can see they are browning nicely from the side. Enjoy!

bbqking

2x SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grill
I think it was about 45 minutes to an hour. They where thick enough to probe, so I did. Pulled off at 135-140

bbqking

2x SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grill
Now I feel like I have no idea....?!

bbqking

2x SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grill
I just didn’t use high heat. To get that sear. I also didn’t flip mine. So mine where almost like meatloaf patties. They still turned out good. The kids where like “ Dad!” Do burgers like that every time. So I think it was a success.

JpsBBQ

Reaction score
I just didn’t use high heat. To get that sear. I also didn’t flip mine. So mine where almost like meatloaf patties. They still turned out good. The kids where like “ Dad!” Do burgers like that every time. So I think it was a success.
Flipping isn’t mandatory by any means. You usually get a nice wood fired kiss on top of the patties with this method.