SmokeBoost

Boilerbdub

Reaction score
Where does one find information on this?

What exactly is happening inside the SF?

How has your experience been?

What results are you seeing?

What temp ranges work best?

FAQ on Weber:

I have used it twice now.
1) on chicken, for about 30 min then finished off at 375

2) pork butt, for about 4 hours, then finished off at 225

I see a lot of smoke :) Of course I have been happy with the amount of smoke prior, this is just a bonus! Whereas the previous low temp was 200, I would see temp swings from about 190-205 in this mode. Plenty of smoke. In 'smoke' mode, I see temps from about 160-200. Understand the smoke mode is a temp range in and of itself, it is not a 'smoke' mode at whatever temp you select. It isn't like the camp chef mode (as I understand it)

As far as what's happening, it seems to me the SF is dumping pellets in the cookpot and allowing them to smolder before increasing fan speed to ensure they're lit and burning. This causes a lot more smoke to be continuously produced. I found the results to be very good, but I was always happy with the level of smokiness in food cooked on my sf.

I see a lot of smoke :) Of course I have been happy with the amount of smoke prior, this is just a bonus! Whereas the previous low temp was 200, I would see temp swings from about 190-205 in this mode. Plenty of smoke. In 'smoke' mode, I see temps from about 160-200. Understand the smoke mode is a temp range in and of itself, it is not a 'smoke' mode at whatever temp you select. It isn't like the camp chef mode (as I understand it)

As far as what's happening, it seems to me the SF is dumping pellets in the cookpot and allowing them to smolder before increasing fan speed to ensure they're lit and burning. This causes a lot more smoke to be continuously produced. I found the results to be very good, but I was always happy with the level of smokiness in food cooked on my sf.
Good info, I have also been happy with the smoke on my food, but it’s nice to see Weber making strides with the SmokeFire and the app.

I used smoke boost on a pork butt for about 2 - 2.5 hours, then remotely switched it off and bumped my temp for the remainder of the cook. The results were awesome! While I've had my recent struggles with this grill, the latest update appears to have addressed them, the grill was rock solid holding temp during the pork butt cook staying within a few degrees. Smoke boost stayed within 197-201 pretty consistently. Then when I bumped it up to 225 remotely, it took a while for it to actually get to 225, but once it did, it was steady.

Smoke Boost results on the pork butt.

Attachments

• 7BEC3931-76D3-4173-B8B6-571CA81706B4.jpeg
    7BEC3931-76D3-4173-B8B6-571CA81706B4.jpeg
    445.8 KB · Views: 107
Looks fantastic! Can’t wait to try smoke boost.

I used smoke boost on a pork butt for about 2 - 2.5 hours, then remotely switched it off and bumped my temp for the remainder of the cook. The results were awesome! While I've had my recent struggles with this grill, the latest update appears to have addressed them, the grill was rock solid holding temp during the pork butt cook staying within a few degrees. Smoke boost stayed within 197-201 pretty consistently. Then when I bumped it up to 225 remotely, it took a while for it to actually get to 225, but once it did, it was steady.
Nice. I’m doing a butt today. will smoke boost for a couple hours then a hot and fast finish to cut down on cook time. Can’t wait to try the new updates on a real cook.

Nice. I’m doing a butt today. will smoke boost for a couple hours then a hot and fast finish to cut down on cook time. Can’t wait to try the new updates on a real cook.
Enjoy the cook! That's pretty much what I did. It was a smaller butt, so it cooked pretty fast anyway, but I used smoke boost for a little over 2 hours, and then bumped it up to 225 for a few, and then bumped it a little more later in order to get it finished in time for dinner while still allowing it to rest for a good 30 minutes or so before eating.

Enjoy the cook! That's pretty much what I did. It was a smaller butt, so it cooked pretty fast anyway, but I used smoke boost for a little over 2 hours, and then bumped it up to 225 for a few, and then bumped it a little more later in order to get it finished in time for dinner while still allowing it to rest for a good 30 minutes or so before eating.
The cook is on! Smoke boost is holding at 165 to 170 according to my 2 potato probes sitting on the left and right sides at grate level. Will boost temp to 325 after 2 hrs of boost. This is going to work well for jerky at this temp.

EDIT - I finished the cook and it turned out great. Made some pulled pork sandwiches which were awesome.

Here it is starting out in smoke boost mode. The potatoes are for holding my extra temp probes.
Boston Butt Starting in smoke booost mode.jpg

Here it is at about 165 temp and just prior to wrapping
Boston Butt before Wrapping.jpg

Here is the finished Butt
Boston Butt Finished.jpg

And here is the pulled pork with bbq sauce on
Pulled Pork with Sauce.jpg

A successful cook. Even used the app to change temperatures while I was away from the house.

Attachments

• 20200523_122449.mp4
    10.8 MB
Last edited:
The cook is on! Smoke boost is holding at 165 to 170 according to my 2 potato probes sitting on the left and right sides at grate level. Will boost temp to 325 after 2 hrs of boost. This is going to work well for jerky at this temp.
I was thinking the same thing for jerky!!
So glad to hear you guys are killing it, can’t wait til Monday to do a cook for the family? 🤔 what to cook????

I was thinking the same thing for jerky!!
So glad to hear you guys are killing it, can’t wait til Monday to do a cook for the family? 🤔 what to cook????
:) I've got a ton of family coming Monday. Starting a brisket Sunday afternoon, then ribs and sausage Monday morning...I saw a Meat Church video on youtube showing a smoked queso recipe that I'll likely do too! love this grill!

Where does one find information on this?

What exactly is happening inside the SF?

How has your experience been?

What results are you seeing?

What temp ranges work best?
It shows up on the app screen or on the smoke fire screen. The say it will maintain temp from 165 to 200 depending on outdoor temp. It works great about the same as my old treager.

I've used Smoke Boost on two long cooks now. In both cases when I "disengaged" Smoke Boost and bumped the temp up to 225 to finish my cook, it took about 12-15 minutes to actually get up to 225. It hovered at 190 - 195 for what felt like forever. Then all of a sudden it started climbing and settled in nicely at 225-245 and has remained steady there for a few hours. I panicked at first (both times) thinking that the temp issues were back, but it eventually got up to temp and held perfectly.

Ran SmokeBoost for a rib cook. 2 hours SmokeBoost, another hour at 240, then wrap in butcher paper for a bit. Finished with a glaze of Blues Hog.

Was real happy with smoke penetration.

Used mix of lumberjack char hickory and apple pellets.

Attachments

• IMG_20200524_181855.jpg
    IMG_20200524_181855.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20200524_190322.jpg
    IMG_20200524_190322.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 88
Back