Smokeboost issue

jmccrack650

Reaction score
So far I have rarely used the Smokeboost feature, but decided to try it this past weekend.

After using for about 1.5 hours, I noticed that the grill had gone out. I am surprised that the Smokefire didn't give me any notification that this was the case. Since during smokeboost it doesn't show the grill temp, the only reason I noticed was because I had a probe in the meat, and the temp seemed to stall, so I checked. Luckily I caught it before the meat started to cool.

Pellets were continuing to feed, but it was obvious that it had gone out. So I had to do a full shutdown and restart.

The only thing that was different than some of my cooks in the past was the outdoor temp (around 30F), but I have done cooks in colder weather before without issue (not using smokeboost).

Anyone else experience this?

It has been fairly well documented that the latest software has issues with SmokeBoost at temps lower than 40 degrees.

SmokeBoost has been a well documented crapshoot for a few months now.

I quit using it after seeing issues reported. For the few cooks I used it i didn’t notice a drastic difference but maybe wasn’t best use cases.

I haven’t had issues with smokeboost but I don’t use it that often. The Smokefire puts out serious smoke at 250 even.

It has been an issue since the firmware release 4042!! Weber knows about this and is working on a fix which I am told is still being worked on.

Weber Customer Communication as of 3/13/2021:

Hello Tim,

Unfortunately not at this time. I believe they are still working and testing the Firmware before it's release.

I can keep you updated should I hear back soon.

If not, the update, when available, will install to your controller when pairing through Bluetooth only.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I haven't used it much. I find using a pellet tube does wonders for adding extra smoke and lasts for quite a while.

I've pretty much stopped using the Smokefire altogether unless it is as a grill. Definitely run into same issues burning out with smokeboost, but have pretty much found that if I don't sit there and babysit it nonstop the pellets will bridge and stop feeding. I've taken off the finger guard which helped, and I've added their "upgrade" parts - which really did nothing but take away hopper capacity. I sure can make some tasty steaks with it though!

I actually find it somewhat interesting that Weber and other pellet grill manufacturers have a "smoke boost". Especially if it works the way that it seems to, by smoldering pellets at lower temps. I cut my teeth smoking on a WSM and the one thing I learned (which is backed up by a quick Google or YouTube search on smoker fire management) is that you don't want the white billowing smoke. That's what can make your food bitter quickly--often referred to as "too much smoke flavor". With both the WSM and the SF, I far prefer to see clean heat coming out the vents no matter the pit temperature. Trust me, it'll do the job. I just did a marinated skirt steak yesterday for fajita tacos at 450F for under 15 minutes with very little visible smoke venting out, and the thing actually had a mini smoke ring when I cut it. I wasn't going for low-and-slow, just wanted to grill it, but the science of "clean smoke" did its thing. All that to say that I personally view Smoke Boost as a marketing gimmick and am more than happy with results I get not using it at all.

As stated above, just run at 200. It is more about slowing the cooking process so that more smoke can enter the meat before the meat hits 145 degrees. Also, agree that too much smoldering could affect flavor negatively. I don't plan on using smokeboost again unless there are significant changes that make it less of a gimmick.

I actually find it somewhat interesting that Weber and other pellet grill manufacturers have a "smoke boost". Especially if it works the way that it seems to, by smoldering pellets at lower temps. I cut my teeth smoking on a WSM and the one thing I learned (which is backed up by a quick Google or YouTube search on smoker fire management) is that you don't want the white billowing smoke. That's what can make your food bitter quickly--often referred to as "too much smoke flavor". With both the WSM and the SF, I far prefer to see clean heat coming out the vents no matter the pit temperature. Trust me, it'll do the job. I just did a marinated skirt steak yesterday for fajita tacos at 450F for under 15 minutes with very little visible smoke venting out, and the thing actually had a mini smoke ring when I cut it. I wasn't going for low-and-slow, just wanted to grill it, but the science of "clean smoke" did its thing. All that to say that I personally view Smoke Boost as a marketing gimmick and am more than happy with results I get not using it at all.
Look up meat smoke ring. Smoke has nothing to do with forming a smoke ring. And you won't get much smoke from a 450f cook. Knock it down to mid 200's or lower, and you'll get smoke AND heat

Look up meat smoke ring. Smoke has nothing to do with forming a smoke ring. And you won't get much smoke from a 450f cook. Knock it down to mid 200's or lower, and you'll get smoke AND heat
Slightly misleading. It is the result of a chemical reaction between the meat and the gas/smoke given off from burning wood or charcoal (carbonized wood). Temperature of the protein and moisture also aid in the reaction. There are varying types of smoke and big billowing white smoke is not needed for sure and is widely accepted as “dirty” or detrimental smoke.

Slightly misleading. It is the result of a chemical reaction between the meat and the gas/smoke given off from burning wood or charcoal (carbonized wood). Temperature of the protein and moisture also aid in the reaction. There are varying types of smoke and big billowing white smoke is not needed for sure and is widely accepted as “dirty” or detrimental smoke.
Nothing misleading. You don't need smoke to form a "smoke ring". That's my point. I agree you shouldn't want big billowing smoke, however.

Back