Smokeboost Flame Out

Beans&Cornbread

Reaction score
Grill
EX6
Just wondering if anyone knows at what temperature the SmokeFire registers an "E3 - Grill Flame Out" error. I experienced my one an only flame out a few weeks ago while I was smoking some trout. Granted the wind was gusting 30+ mph so I'm really not surprised. After a restart I set the temp to 200° and it ran like a champ. However, last week I was smoking some pork chops (it was about 35° out) and I found myself turning Smokeboost on and off because I was afraid of letting the temp fall under 140° or so. I used to have to do this with my old pellet grill as well, but I am I just being overly cautious with the SmokeFire? I like to use Smokeboost with fish and thinner cuts of meat, but now that it's colder in my area I feel like I can 't trust it to keep the fire going. I'd appreciate hearing any experiences you all have had.

Just wondering if anyone knows at what temperature the SmokeFire registers an "E3 - Grill Flame Out" error. I experienced my one an only flame out a few weeks ago while I was smoking some trout. Granted the wind was gusting 30+ mph so I'm really not surprised. After a restart I set the temp to 200° and it ran like a champ. However, last week I was smoking some pork chops (it was about 35° out) and I found myself turning Smokeboost on and off because I was afraid of letting the temp fall under 140° or so. I used to have to do this with my old pellet grill as well, but I am I just being overly cautious with the SmokeFire? I like to use Smokeboost with fish and thinner cuts of meat, but now that it's colder in my area I feel like I can 't trust it to keep the fire going. I'd appreciate hearing any experiences you all have had.
I run a separate ambient temperature probe on my grill, and the smoke boost temperature on my ex4 typically runs between 155F and 180F. At that temperature things such as outside temperature, wind, pellet moisture, ash in the burn pot and atmospheric moisture (dew pint) can all have a major impact on burn stability. I seldom, if ever run in Smoke Boost for long periods of time without closely monitoring it, although I have yet to experience a burnout. When running unmonitored, I prefer to run at 200-215F, as the burn is much more stable,

I have never used it because it screams problems. I get plenty of smoke at 225 and I know that should run pretty consistently.
Seems like a lot of work to get that to smolder for extended periods of time, but what do I know.

I had lots of problems with smokeboost before I had the welded auger chute. It would basically just go out, even when trying both methods of setting smokeboost immediately on startup or getting up to 120oc before turning it on. I've got to admit, since fitting the welded auger, I've not even bothered trying it again...maybe I should give it a go.

I’ve never had issues with smoke boost. I’m not sure it’s needed with the SF because the smoke output at 225 and above is plenty good.

I just had that happen to me on Sunday. I never let the grill fully heat up to over 200 and put it into SmokeBoost when it was at maybe 150. It was about 30 degrees outside.

I'm not sure if it happened because it never got hot enough to begin with? I've used it many times before with no problem but not at that temperature. Next time I do it it I'll take it up to 225 and then activate it to see what happens.

I have ran 3-4 hours without problems. And there is a significant increase in the amount of smoke with SB.

I just had that happen to me on Sunday. I never let the grill fully heat up to over 200 and put it into SmokeBoost when it was at maybe 150. It was about 30 degrees outside.
By not letting the SF controller stabilize at a given temp when you start SB, you are asking it to generate an unstable condition prior to it "learning" the normal conditions of the environment. This includes letting the pellet tube get full, pellets flowing normally, etc. In other words, you are shorting the input on the PID circuit. I have always let the unit stabilize at 200 prior to starting the SB and I have not had any problems. Also, when you let the grill stabilize at 200, it is like allowing a gas grill to completely come to temp before using. Just lets the herd all get moving in the right direction.

Thanks everyone for your input. It seems like it's working great for the folks who use it. Frankly I've used it quite a bit myself and never had an issue. Hopefully this was just a one time thing due to the wind and I'm just being paranoid about the cold. Next time I'll let it roll and see what happens. I just wanted to know if anyone else was having a problem.

The two times I've engaged Smokeboost, I turn on the grill, set a target temp of 210F, then when that is attained, turn on Smokeboost without a hitch

By not letting the SF controller stabilize at a given temp when you start SB, you are asking it to generate an unstable condition prior to it "learning" the normal conditions of the environment. This includes letting the pellet tube get full, pellets flowing normally, etc. In other words, you are shorting the input on the PID circuit. I have always let the unit stabilize at 200 prior to starting the SB and I have not had any problems. Also, when you let the grill stabilize at 200, it is like allowing a gas grill to completely come to temp before using. Just lets the herd all get moving in the right direction.

That was my guess in retrospect. I looked at the manual after it happened and didn’t catch anything that said you had to do that but it does make sense.

I was having the same problem when using smoke boost it would last for awhile then out. Changed igniter still happened. So I cleaned out fire box and noticed grate had burned out. Set them a picture and description of the problem the sent new grate and igniter. So I'm testing it right now. It never quit wile temp was set only on smoke boost.
20201211_083512.jpg

I have read others saying they have that same problem; especially if they do a lot of high temperature cooks and searing. My guess that there will be a heavier duty grate in the future.

Back