smokeboost additions software

mcloud

Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire ex4
I love my ex4, I love the smokeboost feature, in smokeboost it doesnt moniter grill temp. please add this. may some ppl dont care about this but I know im not alone. I dont want to have to plugin probe for this.

Take your Weber probe, lay it on the grill grate supported by a wad of foil, plug it in your controller. You can keep track of the Smokeboost temps that way

I love my ex4, I love the smokeboost feature, in smokeboost it doesnt moniter grill temp. please add this. may some ppl dont care about this but I know im not alone. I dont want to have to plugin probe for this.
I just purchased a spare Weber ambient air probe — it comes with a spring mounting clip — and leave it permanently mounted in the grill on one of the grates. I then connect via probe port #4 whenever I use the grill, including during SmokeBoost.

I just purchased a spare Weber ambient air probe — it comes with a spring mounting clip — and leave it permanently mounted in the grill on one of the grates. I then connect via probe port #4 whenever I use the grill, including during SmokeBoost.
I have one of these too, the clip is handy.

I have one of these too, the clip is handy.
And I always run with one of these just to know what is happening.

And I always run with one of these just to know what is happening.
Hadn’t really thought of running an ambient probe off the SmokeFire, part of the reason I used my thermoworks smoke was to check the accuracy of everything.
That being said I just ordered a Weber ambient probe because it seems pretty simple to just add that as well And not have to worry about my thermoworks set up. Have you found Weber’s thermometer formthe SmokeFire to be accurate in general? Im talking meat and ambient plugged into the SF.
Thanks for any info

Hadn’t really thought of running an ambient probe off the SmokeFire, part of the reason I used my thermoworks smoke was to check the accuracy of everything.
That being said I just ordered a Weber ambient probe because it seems pretty simple to just add that as well And not have to worry about my thermoworks set up. Have you found Weber’s thermometer formthe SmokeFire to be accurate in general? Im talking meat and ambient plugged into the SF.
Thanks for any info
Yes, both the Weber ambient and the meat probes have been very close (a couple of degrees) to my Maverick and Thermopro. You will really learn about the controller watching the ambient temp.

Thanks for any info
Yes, The first thing I did was to make sure it read accurately in boiling water. I then placed it next to the permanent probe and during heat up they tracked accurately as well as against my Maverick unit....obviously due to bandwidth dampening/reporting, the two very when at setpoint.

Yes, both the Weber ambient and the meat probes have been very close (a couple of degrees) to my Maverick and Thermopro. You will really learn about the controller watching the ambient temp.
Like a regular oven, the controller dampens the permanent probe to a bandwidth report to keep both the PID and operator from “chasing their tail”

From what I am seeing, the EX6 reads the meat probes about 4* too hot....see below an excerpt from a report I sent to Weber today about some issues I am having with the EX6.

Lastly it should be noted that the Smokefire controller reads the meat probe temps about 4* too hot meaning if it says its 135* its really 131*. This has been confirmed on multiple temp probes.

I have tested this by putting the Weber probes as well as the Thermoworks probes into an ice water bath. When plugged into the Thermoworks unit, all probes (7 in total) read 32* +/-0.4*…when they are plugged into the EX6 controller, they all read 35*-36*.

This offset is also present at higher temps….for example the Smokefire tells me the meat is at 163* but when the probe is in the Thermoworks brain it says 159*. This is what made me do the ice test to see if the controller was actually off or if it was just that I had Brand A probe in Brand B brain but the ice test confirmed that all probes regardless of brand read the same if they are plugged into the same brain and the EX controller is 4* to high.

From what I am seeing, the EX6 reads the meat probes about 4* too hot....see below an excerpt from a report I sent to Weber today about some issues I am having with the EX6.

Lastly it should be noted that the Smokefire controller reads the meat probe temps about 4* too hot meaning if it says its 135* its really 131*. This has been confirmed on multiple temp probes.

I have tested this by putting the Weber probes as well as the Thermoworks probes into an ice water bath. When plugged into the Thermoworks unit, all probes (7 in total) read 32* +/-0.4*…when they are plugged into the EX6 controller, they all read 35*-36*.

This offset is also present at higher temps….for example the Smokefire tells me the meat is at 163* but when the probe is in the Thermoworks brain it says 159*. This is what made me do the ice test to see if the controller was actually off or if it was just that I had Brand A probe in Brand B brain but the ice test confirmed that all probes regardless of brand read the same if they are plugged into the same brain and the EX controller is 4* to high.
I hope you are not at all concerned about 4 degrees. That is totally insignificant in BBQ cooking as there are far more impactful variables such as meat grade, marbling, outdoor temp and humidity, meat temperature when placed on pit etc etc. BBQ is an art and only partly a science. If someone ask you the time and temp for a BBQ cook and you give a precise answer without a caviat about the particular protein being a huge variable factor, you aren’t looking at it properly. Your oven at home fluctuates +\- 25 degrees regularly. You are likely unaware of this because it doesn’t give you the feedback. Happy grilling!😁

Weber has told me that plus or minus 50 degrees is a normal range for BBQ. A little much in my opinion but their thoughts. So, 4 degrees is not significant.

Hey Guys...thanks for playing but clearly you didn't read the post. I am talking about the meat probes here not the grill temp thermocouple...so in this case yes 4 * is a big deal as if I am cooking a chicken for example and pulling it at say 159-160 to let carry over take it into the safe zone 165 but in reality its being pulled at 155 and never making it to 165 then that is indeed a problem.

Hey Guys...thanks for playing but clearly you didn't read the post. I am talking about the meat probes here not the grill temp thermocouple...so in this case yes 4 * is a big deal as if I am cooking a chicken for example and pulling it at say 159-160 to let carry over take it into the safe zone 165 but in reality its being pulled at 155 and never making it to 165 then that is indeed a problem.
That’s what an instant read thermo is for. Never trust a stick and stay thermo for food safety. They are for targeting doneness and not determining final doneness or safety. Heck they are in only one spot. Your range over the protein or multiple proteins is all over the place. Buy a thermapen or comparable device and use it in conjunction with the monitoring probes. Set your alarm short of your desire target temp and then use the instant read from that point forward. Cheers!

That’s what an instant read thermo is for. Never trust a stick and stay thermo for food safety. They are for targeting doneness and not determining final doneness or safety. Heck they are in only one spot. Your range over the protein or multiple proteins is all over the place. Buy a thermapen or comparable device and use it in conjunction with the monitoring probes. Set your alarm short of your desire target temp and then use the instant read from that point forward. Cheers!
I have 3 thermopens, a smoke, and a signals and always check...im not saying I myself have an issue here..I am simply stating a fact the the SF controller is reading high. And this could be a problem for someone who does trust those probes...

Think about it this way, if the unit was reading 4* low instead of 4* high and u were using that to cook your nice thick steak to medium rare..if it read 4* low your 135 medium rare steak is now a medium steak. You wouldn't accept an over cooked steak from a steak house. 4* is significant when talking food temps.

Back