Shutdown question EX6

Good to know!! This was about 9 minutes into shutdown. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_1431.MOV
    15.2 MB
That sounds great! Just curious has everybody installed the improved slide for the hopper pellets? Just wondering if it made a big difference. Can’t wait to fire it up this weekend. If you see smoke coming from Chattanooga, it’s just me

That sounds great! Just curious has everybody installed the improved slide for the hopper pellets? Just wondering if it made a big difference. Can’t wait to fire it up this weekend. If you see smoke coming from Chattanooga, it’s just me
I never installed one. I feel removing the wire guard above the auger is an absolute must. When doing so, remove and replace one screw at a time because the screws also hold the auger assembly in place. Be careful not to drop a screw in the auger. I recommend stuffing a rag down around the guard as an insurance policy. The ramp, meh!

The grease channels in towards the firebox. In my opinion, that's a design flaw.
Ash + Grease = Mush
Mush + Flame = Grease Fire
We've all found ways to avoid it, but it's a design flaw.

The grease channels in towards the firebox. In my opinion, that's a design flaw.
Ash + Grease = Mush
Mush + Flame = Grease Fire
We've all found ways to avoid it, but it's a design flaw.
Totally disagree. I have a year + to prove otherwise. I’ve used drip pans before but haven’t for literally months. No fire. I do know from extensive experience with a half dozen pellet cooker brands that the solid grease pan directly over the heat source requires much more maintenance and attention to avoid grease fires. Grease plus heat can lead to fire. Grease below the origin of heat and fire is far less of a risk.

Check out the desirable deep fryers such as Cajun Fryer. The heat source is routed through a steel tube lifted off the bottom of the oil bin. This dramatically reduces burnt oil and cleaning. In fact the oil at the bottom of the fryer never gets above 100 degrees when in use, I believe. Heat rises.

Both designs are genius. If you put them both to practice I think it becomes enlightening. Again, especially when stacked up against other designs. Is it possible to have a grease fire? Of course it’s possible. Is it more likely than other pellet cookers? Not even close. Cheers!

Last edited:
I never installed one. I feel removing the wire guard above the auger is an absolute must. When doing so, remove and replace one screw at a time because the screws also hold the auger assembly in place. Be careful not to drop a screw in the auger. I recommend stuffing a rag down around the guard as an insurance policy. The ramp, meh!
Thanks!!

I haven’t cleaned mine for dozens of cooks now. Including ribs, pork butts, briskets , pizzas, steaks, chicken, etc. Absolutely no issue. This thing is way less work than other designs. It’s not flawed, but rather genius!!!!

Don’t believe me just look.

View attachment 3850View attachment 3851View attachment 3852View attachment 3853
Well, I finally cleaned the thing. I removed 1 3/4 drawers full of ash plus a little vacuum amount. I basically scrape it down from top to bottom removing the components as I move downward. I then scrape the ash right into the drawer through the grease holes. Massive amounts of ash and not a single issue the entire time. Totally awesome design! Cheers!

Use drip pans. Avoid grease dripping into the bottom. I do.

Thank you for the quick reply! I have read a lot of things in the past two weeks about the EX6. I bought the wet smoke kit just to avoid the whole grease fire issue. I am just trying to tackle one problem at a time here. Do you think the controller had anything to do with it telling the auger to keep feeding pellets? The total shut down took about 15 minutes and it was only in the last couple of minutes that the auger reversed. Again thank you for taking the time to reply
I use a baking sheet lined with tin foil under the bottom grate resting on top of the flavorizer bars. This works well for me with no issues on cooking time and taste.

Attachments

• 20210404_141704.jpg
    20210404_141704.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 14
I use a baking sheet lined with tin foil under the bottom grate resting on top of the flavorizer bars. This works well for me with no issues on cooking time and taste.
A oven linear (shallow flimsy drip pan) at $1.50 from Wal-Mart is cheaper and easier than foil.

Now, where do people position their drip pans? I have been leaving a gap at the back, allowing hot air to rise around the pan and over the controller probe. I am going to try pushing it back and blocking direct air flow on the probe. Pics at 10 pm newscast.

I just bought a new gen1 EX6. I did the whole phone app thing and updated to the newest firmware. I did the burn in yesterday and it all seemed fine. On shutdown, the auger kept feeding pellets for a good 10 minutes. It seemed like at the last three or 4 minutes the auger finally reversed. Is this normal? I have no experience with this yet
Hey mpdive.
Yes, this is what it does and I have asked them why the heck is it putting pellets in when it is supposed to be shutting down. No answer thus far. Since you are new I have some strong advice for some consistent cooking:
Set the temp you want to cook at and DO NOT change it. I have bad experiences trying to alter the temp. Weber cannot get the temp thing down and I do not know why. EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE else has no issues with temp so why can't they figure it out?
Good luck and happy cooking!
Regards,
Laketater

A oven linear (shallow flimsy drip pan) at $1.50 from Wal-Mart is cheaper and easier than foil.

Now, where do people position their drip pans? I have been leaving a gap at the back, allowing hot air to rise around the pan and over the controller probe. I am going to try pushing it back and blocking direct air flow on the probe. Pics at 10 pm newscast.
It was sunny today and I cleaned the grill. First time in a long time. First photo shows the oven linear on top of the grill bars. It is full of grease, etc. Second photo shows the required (IMHO) air probe next to the controller probe. Third photo shows the gap that I have had between the back of the grill and the pan, which has allowed hot air to blow directly over the temp probes. Fourth photo shows how I am trying the new clean pan this time, pushed back against the grill body to block the hot air from going directly up to the probes. This is a test condition. I have no idea if this will work or make things worse. I still have some issues that have not been solved at this time.

Attachments

• IMG_2470.jpg
    IMG_2470.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2471.jpg
    IMG_2471.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2472.jpg
    IMG_2472.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2473.jpg
    IMG_2473.jpg