Shutdown question EX6

mpdive12

Reaction score
Grill
EX6
I just bought a new gen1 EX6. I did the whole phone app thing and updated to the newest firmware. I did the burn in yesterday and it all seemed fine. On shutdown, the auger kept feeding pellets for a good 10 minutes. It seemed like at the last three or 4 minutes the auger finally reversed. Is this normal? I have no experience with this yet

Call Weber. Have them send you the gen two auger/motor. Should do it for free. It makes a big difference. I did the same. Gen 1, about a year. Then started having issues over feeding flame outs low temp fluctuating temp…called and they sent me the updated motor and auger assembly, no issues since.

Thank you for the quick reply! I have read a lot of things in the past two weeks about the EX6. I bought the wet smoke kit just to avoid the whole grease fire issue. I am just trying to tackle one problem at a time here. Do you think the controller had anything to do with it telling the auger to keep feeding pellets? The total shut down took about 15 minutes and it was only in the last couple of minutes that the auger reversed.Again thank you for taking the time to reply

That’s typical. Mine does the same thing. Or it used to. I haven’t really gone out there and kept a close eye since the change out of auger. I just shut her down and come inside. After a bit it will tell me shut down complete safe to turn off. But that’s what it used to do for sure.

Any grease fire is from not cleaning the unit. Totally operator induced.
True statement.I use dollar tree drip pans. I place them on bottom rack, long cooks, meat on top. I’ve only had one incident. Which wasn’t really an incident. Had a brisket foil wrap leak really bad into the bottom. Happened at the end of the cook, realized when went to take it off. Shut it down next day went out and there was a yucky grease puddle. Which I cleaned up. There is no excuse for grease fire. Any grill that you let grease build up in is going to flame up.

Last edited:
Any grease fire is from not cleaning the unit. Totally operator induced.
Although cleaning the grill is a great way to avoid an over abundance of fires there is definitely a design flaw. During the burn in I could see the flames making it all the way down to the grease recesses. That mixed in with ash is a recipe for disaster. Even with a perfectly clean grill, doing a slow cook for a fatty meat gives all the ingredients for a grease fire. You cannot place both components so close to each other. Grease and fire don’t mix

Although cleaning the grill is a great way to avoid an over abundance of fires there is definitely a design flaw. During the burn in I could see the flames making it all the way down to the grease recesses. That mixed in with ash is a recipe for disaster. Even with a perfectly clean grill, doing a slow cook for a fatty meat gives all the ingredients for a grease fire. You cannot place both components so close to each other. Grease and fire don’t mix
I haven’t cleaned mine for dozens of cooks now. Including ribs, pork butts, briskets , pizzas, steaks, chicken, etc. Absolutely no issue. This thing is way less work than other designs. It’s not flawed, but rather genius!!!!

Don’t believe me just look.

ADF531D3-D807-4D62-8638-067AF209B0A8.jpeg
DC4A720E-BE57-4A36-8509-9DB89B581F87.jpeg
11F7A349-E3AB-418F-AE5F-DE75D3C1CC75.jpeg
EA9500BD-DBB6-41A9-A209-BD5BB41A9611.jpeg

And I do 10 plus cooks on mine without cleaning or grease fires. Any grill that mixes temps over 400 and greasy meat is going to have problems. It does not matter where you are dropping the grease.

And I do 10 plus cooks on mine without cleaning or grease fires. Any grill that mixes temps over 400 and greasy meat is going to have problems. It does not matter where you are dropping the grease.
I will say it is a huge advantage that the grease generally drops below the heat source. Most pellet grills have a pan directly above the heat source which is far more problematic. Not to say grease fires can’t happen because clearly they can as animal fat combusts above 375 but I am really impressed with this simple yet genius design. I routinely cook above 500 without issue. It’s almost a challenge for me now to see how long and how cruddy I can get this thing before it’s an issue. The photos don’t lie, I’ve been really negligent! 🤣

I guess time will tell. I’m hoping it all goes smooth. I love the grill and appreciate all the input from everybody.

I have been using an oven drip pan directly above the heat diffuser to spread the blast of hot air around. This also limits the drips directly onto the diffuser, which is at higher temps.

That sounds like a great idea. Weber customer service is awesome. I called today and let them know about the weird shut down procedure. She is sending me all the parts upgrades along with free foil pans pallets meat probes etc. everything except the kitchen sink LOL. I love the grill and I’m sure it’s just a learning curve.

Thank you for the quick reply! I have read a lot of things in the past two weeks about the EX6. I bought the wet smoke kit just to avoid the whole grease fire issue. I am just trying to tackle one problem at a time here. Do you think the controller had anything to do with it telling the auger to keep feeding pellets? The total shut down took about 15 minutes and it was only in the last couple of minutes that the auger reversed.Again thank you for taking the time to reply
Perfectly normal!

Back