Should I buy a Smokefire for Grilling?

Shaston

New member
Joined
Dec 22, 2020
Messages
3
Reaction score
3
Points
3
Location
Ohio
I am in the market for a new grill and am seriously considering a Smokefire. I have never owned a pellet grill or smoker but have always been interested in a smoker/charcoal Komodo.

1 will likely use it 75% of the time as a regular grill for steaks, burgers, etc and will try to build my knowledge and skills of smoking the other 25%.

With this usage is the Weber Smokefire the right grill for me? Thanks for any advice.
 

Bruno

Well-known member
2x SOTM Winner
Joined
Mar 27, 2020
Messages
1,013
Reaction score
1,831
Points
113
Location
Bay Area
I am in the market for a new grill and am seriously considering a Smokefire. I have never owned a pellet grill or smoker but have always been interested in a smoker/charcoal Komodo.

1 will likely use it 75% of the time as a regular grill for steaks, burgers, etc and will try to build my knowledge and skills of smoking the other 25%.

With this usage is the Weber Smokefire the right grill for me? Thanks for any advice.
I vote yes! It doesn’t love the lid open but it is a grilling machine.
BDC8777B-D18E-4711-9C53-D124568D633B.jpeg
 

rwhapham

Active member
SOTM Winner
Joined
Nov 23, 2020
Messages
69
Reaction score
149
Points
33
Location
Rockwall, TX
Grill
SmokeFire EX4
I am in the market for a new grill and am seriously considering a Smokefire. I have never owned a pellet grill or smoker but have always been interested in a smoker/charcoal Komodo.

1 will likely use it 75% of the time as a regular grill for steaks, burgers, etc and will try to build my knowledge and skills of smoking the other 25%.

With this usage is the Weber Smokefire the right grill for me? Thanks for any advice.

There's a good chance you'll get very biased answers here. And for good reason. I would venture a guess that the fact that the SF will go up to 600F and has open grates for flame was a big selling point for many. I know it was for me. I actually wanted a one stop solution for smoking and grilling, and have not been disappointed. Enough so that I sold my other grilling and smoking equipment.
 

Dassman5

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 4, 2020
Messages
622
Reaction score
791
Points
93
Location
East Aurora, NY
Grill
Smokefire EX4; Summit 670; Bullet Smoker 22”; Q100
My personal opinion: it depends upon what your cooking preferences and styles are. I seldom use my ex4 for searing, making pizzas, or other high-temperature cooks. It is not because it is incapable of doing all of those, but rather I have developed a preference for my other Weber products to do those jobs.

Having said that, it is extremely versatile and does all of those and more, especially where Smokey, flame grilled food is ones goal. For example, I use it to get my steaks and chops up to temp prior to searing, but then prefer to transfer to my Summit sear station for high temperature searing.
The SmokeFire also does great spatchcock chickens with unparalleled flavor, and likewise for anything where a Smokey flavor is preferred. The SmokeFire is also my go-to unit for Smoked Mac and cheese, bacon, pork belly’s and briskets as it for chili and flavor-fed vegetables like Brussels sprouts and other side-dishes.
 

Beans&Cornbread

New member
Joined
Dec 7, 2020
Messages
8
Reaction score
14
Points
3
Location
Illinois
Grill
EX6
I'm in the same camp as rwhapham. I bought the SmokeFire to replace a handful of grills/smokers. I use mine 75% of the time as a grill and it's performed admirably. If you've never owned a pellet grill before it may take a few cooks to adjust. Anytime you cook on some new equipment it'll take a bit to get used to. Enjoy the process.
 

DutchieCooks

Well-known member
SOTM Winner
Joined
Feb 22, 2020
Messages
494
Reaction score
906
Points
93
Location
Amherstburg
Its hard to say. If you use it for hot and fast 75% and don't cook your steaks reverse sear I actually would say no. The SF burns pellets like crazy above 400. Thats gonna cost you a lot of money buying pellets.
 

Bruno

Well-known member
2x SOTM Winner
Joined
Mar 27, 2020
Messages
1,013
Reaction score
1,831
Points
113
Location
Bay Area
My personal opinion: it depends upon what your cooking preferences and styles are. I seldom use my ex4 for searing, making pizzas, or other high-temperature cooks. It is not because it is incapable of doing all of those, but rather I have developed a preference for my other Weber products to do those jobs.

Having said that, it is extremely versatile and does all of those and more, especially where Smokey, flame grilled food is ones goal. For example, I use it to get my steaks and chops up to temp prior to searing, but then prefer to transfer to my Summit sear station for high temperature searing.
The SmokeFire also does great spatchcock chickens with unparalleled flavor, and likewise for anything where a Smokey flavor is preferred. The SmokeFire is also my go-to unit for Smoked Mac and cheese, bacon, pork belly’s and briskets as it for chili and flavor-fed vegetables like Brussels sprouts and other side-dishes.
Its hard to say. If you use it for hot and fast 75% and don't cook your steaks reverse sear I actually would say no. The SF burns pellets like crazy above 400. Thats gonna cost you a lot of money buying pellets.
Interesting how we all see things, for me firing up the SmokeFire to 500-600 and grilling up say a steak, takes no time at all and hardly any pellet movement. Compare that to a kettle and a chimney of charcoal and I think the SF is way more cost efficient.
 

DutchieCooks

Well-known member
SOTM Winner
Joined
Feb 22, 2020
Messages
494
Reaction score
906
Points
93
Location
Amherstburg
Interesting how we all see things, for me firing up the SmokeFire to 500-600 and grilling up say a steak, takes no time at all and hardly any pellet movement. Compare that to a kettle and a chimney of charcoal and I think the SF is way more cost efficient.
I think a kamado beats the amount of fuel 100% That being said i feel that the ex6 is way better on its pellets than the ex4 I had.
Im cooking with someone else's ex4 tomorrow so I can compare with my old one.. (maybe mine was fucked and that's why it burned down lol)
 

abmet

Well-known member
SOTM Winner
Joined
Feb 11, 2020
Messages
992
Reaction score
1,079
Points
93
Location
Missouri
I hardly ever use my charcoal grill since getting the SmokeFire, though I still use my Genesis gas grill for quick high temp cooks. Depends on what I’m cooking. I’m similar to Dassman5 where I will use my Genesis to sear since can have it hot and just move the steaks over when get to the temp I want. But if I didn’t have the Genesis at least for me it would be great for grilling. As others have said it’s not meant for open lid grilling though.
 
OP
S

Shaston

New member
Joined
Dec 22, 2020
Messages
3
Reaction score
3
Points
3
Location
Ohio
Thanks to everyone for your input. I am going to pull the trigger and purchase a Smokefire.
 

bbqking

Well-known member
2x SOTM Winner
Joined
Mar 2, 2020
Messages
703
Reaction score
1,124
Points
93
Location
Phoenix,Az
Grill
EX6, 2, 22” kettles, and a e310 gasser
I am in the market for a new grill and am seriously considering a Smokefire. I have never owned a pellet grill or smoker but have always been interested in a smoker/charcoal Komodo.

1 will likely use it 75% of the time as a regular grill for steaks, burgers, etc and will try to build my knowledge and skills of smoking the other 25%.

With this usage is the Weber Smokefire the right grill for me? Thanks for any advice.
Yes!! Welcome to the SmokeFire forums. If you like grilled food, you will be happy with the SF.
 
Top