Sensor / Temp

stef_s

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX4
Hi all
Am I the only one who's got problems with the temperature inside my SF Ex4?

When the SF reaches the goal temperature it stoppes from heating an the temperature is falling again. After a few minutes the SF realizies, that it should heat up again but then with full power
so it reaches almost 300 degree Celcius.

I wrote Weber about this issues and all they want to send me is a new auger... but I've got this already replaced.

Other than when opening the lid for an extended period, my ex4 tends to hold within whatever bandwidth tolerance Weber has designed into its PID controller. I use a separate Weber ambient air probe, plugged into port #4 to monitor the variances.
For example, yesterday I smoked a pair of baby back ribs for 6 hours on the upper grate and when left unattended (interpret as not opening the lid to peak more than once every 45 minutes or so to baste) at its set point of 225F it held plus or minus within 15-20 degrees of target for the entire time,

From experience with PID controllers, they are very accurate when left alone to zero in on their set point as it is an iterative learning process. However, every time changes are made to the set point or the cooking/smoking conditions are changed by opening the lid, adjusting set point, etc. , the process needs to begin again...not much different than with a conventional oven.

Other than when opening the lid for an extended period, my ex4 tends to hold within whatever bandwidth tolerance Weber has designed into its PID controller. I use a separate Weber ambient air probe, plugged into port #4 to monitor the variances.
For example, yesterday I smoked a pair of baby back ribs for 6 hours on the upper grate and when left unattended (interpret as not opening the lid to peak more than once every 45 minutes or so to baste) at its set point of 225F it held plus or minus within 15-20 degrees of target for the entire time,

From experience with PID controllers, they are very accurate when left alone to zero in on their set point as it is an iterative learning process. However, every time changes are made to the set point or the cooking/smoking conditions are changed by opening the lid, adjusting set point, etc. , the process needs to begin again...not much different than with a conventional oven.
Same for me, mine only fluctuates when open.

Some of us have units that have stability issues wile others have not had these issues. Exact cause has not been identified.

My PID is all over the place have found cleaning the gunk off helps with some of the wild fluctuations but generally keep an ambient probe plugged in all the time now.

Latest Discussions

Back