Second Generation SmokeFire (Not in USA however)

Whelp, the drawback that Gen 1 models have is that Gen 2 models are up to date, and Weber did the updating at their expense. At no difference in price, which one would you chose? ;)

Whelp, the drawback that Gen 1 models have is that Gen 2 models are up to date, and Weber did the updating at their expense. At no difference in price, which one would you chose? ;)
Actually, I am both mechanically and electronically inclined as well as inquisitive, which is why I opted to buy mine in the box and assemble, knowing that Weber would provide the requisite upgrade parts at no cost for me to install at a later time.

Of course, it also helped that, at the time I purchased my Version 1 unit, Weber was offering a $200 discount to get more units out in the marketplace. Guess that is just me wanting to know how things work...to each their own, and I fully understand why others might want to buy it fully updated.

Even if you choose to get a GEN 2 instead of a GEN 1, you will still need to do the software/firmware updates that have happened since they were re-packed. The only real convenience is that you don't have to fit the slide in the hopper and the auger yourself.

Gen 2 models only require late breaking FW/SW updates that will, of course, increase over time. Personally, I'm no longer able to do the mechanical stuff. thus require assistance.

I ordered my SF on Dec 1st!! I was all in on the hype, it had its ups and downs but has been really fun to cook on. Best low and slow bbq I’ve put out and it’s just so MUCH EASIER to grill on than charcoal and you still get wood fired taste!

I’ve worked with tools for 26 years, working on the SmokeFire is like adult legos to me.

Weber is the best customer service I’ve ever had, they’ve gone way above and beyond for me on all my grills and accessories.

The "much easier" part is what draws my interest toward the SF nowadays. Stil love my kettle, but it requires a good deal more attention.

So for the second time I had this problem where pellets are not getting to the fire pot! Last time I had the problem I cleaned out the hopper and it started working fine! But really didn’t understand what was happening! I should have taken a photo. But one could see where the sawdust had built up and jammed up at the bottom of the hopper. Is this part of an upgrade needed?

Well now its working again. After taking my shopvac to the clog, and then restarting it. It went right up to temp! No sweat! My turkey is in the brine for tomorrow! I saw that there’s an upgrade to the hopper design on utube. Anybody done one of those?

So for the second time I had this problem where pellets are not getting to the fire pot! Last time I had the problem I cleaned out the hopper and it started working fine! But really didn’t understand what was happening! I should have taken a photo. But one could see where the sawdust had built up and jammed up at the bottom of the hopper. Is this part of an upgrade needed?
Have you installed the hopper insert? Are you using Weber (or the same size) pellets? Have you removed the finger guard? Have you installed the welded chute? These are all topics that have been discussed multiple times and any of them may cause problems. If you answer these questions you will get multiple suggestions.

Have you installed the hopper insert? Are you using Weber (or the same size) pellets? Have you removed the finger guard? Have you installed the welded chute? These are all topics that have been discussed multiple times and any of them may cause problems. If you answer these questions you will get multiple suggestions.
Yeah, the finger guard is about 95% of all pellet feed issues IMO. This is assuming everyone now has the newest chute/ auger. I have been using the Weber pellets exclusively but am not sure if that’s as big a deal now that I have the welded chute. I like them so I suppose I’ll just keep using them. The ramp is something I never bothered to install. I figure the same exact profile of pellets exist in my SF without the ramp but instead of the ramp, I have more pellets under that profile. 😜

good advice AHoneyman

Well now its working again. After taking my shopvac to the clog, and then restarting it. It went right up to temp! No sweat! My turkey is in the brine for tomorrow! I saw that there’s an upgrade to the hopper design on utube. Anybody done one of those?
Yes. Weber distributed a welded one-piece auger assembly last year to replace the original two-piece auger. It is free to all registered owners of record and should definitely improve your performance.
The old design had a felt-gasket where the auger feed tube attached to the feed cone from the hopper that deteriorated over time, coming loose in many cases, and interfering with the free flow of pellets and increase in pellet dust accumulation in the auger, resulting in decreased performance. The new one-piece unit also provides a smooth transition from the pellet hopper to the auger.
The new auger assembly comes with a clear instruction manual and takes about 45 minutes or so to remove the old and install the new one.

As others have said finger guard removal and welded chute at least for me solved any pellet and temp issues I experienced. I still stir my pellets occasionally if out checking on things.

I just bought this Smokefire last summer, had to be shipped into my little town in SE Alaska. I’ve been using some pellets I got on Amazon they’re about half what I pay at the local dealer. Going to cook a roast tomorrow. So I’ll get rid of that finger guard first and see how that helps. My turkey smoked out ok. But it was a supermarket bird with lots of pumped up brine and whatnot. But everything else I’ve cooked on this Smokefire has been outrageous, I bought half a pig through my local food co-op And all of that was so good Blue Valley Meats in eastern WA ribs,loins,beef brisket, pork chops, fabulous sausages. Okay thanks for feedback!

Back