Salmon on Smokefire

Tyler6590

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX4
Hi All!

Trying Salmon for the first time on the SF, any suggestions or favorite methods? With how flexible this thing is I would guess there's a bunch of great ways to do it on the SF. I'll likely do more of a grilled version this time but I cook salmon every week so other methods would be great. Open to brining beforehand when I have more time to prep.

Any input would be great.

Thanks!

Also considering a reverse sear would be nice. 200 for 30 mins and then crank to 500 for a few mins (skin side down).

We grill it pretty frequently. I belong to a seafood club in Alaska so we get regular shipments of Sockeye and Coho along with halibut and some others. Usually do somewhere in the 400 range and temp it to our liking. Done some plank cooks as well but with the really fresh product we prefer a simple grill to the plank. Enjoy!

Ahh, that sounds nice! Do leave skin on and just grill it skin side down until it hits 140-145 or do flip it at the end for a few?

Exactly. No flip for me. I cook on top rack because I feel it reflects some heat down off the lid to cook the top. A little oil on the grid or skin is helpful. I usually move the fish back and forth on the grid a couple times at the get go to prevent sticking.

2021-06-22 20.18.27.jpg

Salmon tonight on the SF. I cook on one of those cooking mats. Set at 450. After 3/4 minutes, I will turn it over and remove the skin. I use a type of teriyaki glaze on both sides, cook until the albumin starts popping out. Several pieces of grilled onion and a side of plain rice satisfies us

Will do it right on the grill skin side down with some lemon wedges on top till desired fineness or in a foil boat with a marinade on top. No flipping here.

I cook right on the grill too. 350 for 20 minutes on my EX4, no flipping for me either. I usually mix up some softened butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, dill, salt & pepper, or softened butter and different mix of seasonings or rubs.

Has anyone tried coating with a binder such as mayo or mustard without much flavor? Maybe a lemon mayo?

Has anyone tried coating with a binder such as mayo or mustard without much flavor? Maybe a lemon mayo?
I’ve slathered a little fancy compound mustard on mine a couple times. Just my portion. My wife prefers just a simple citrus based rub and heat. Never as a binder but as a mustard crust sorta. It was for intentional flavoring.

I don’t grill it very often but hot smoking works well.
Brine the salmon the day before, rinse off and leave overnight on a wire rack in the fridge to form the pellicle then low and slow until internal temp hits 145f

can be eaten hot or cold

200DBFA3-2423-489E-8412-D414598FDDFF.jpeg

Back