Questions from a Newbie (Part Deux)

SteveSpy

Reaction score
Grill
Weber SmokeFire EX4
This week I am planning to use the Weber Deluxe Poultry Roaster and infuse 2 whole chickens. I have some questions for you guys.

1) Other than something with alcohol, what can I infuse the chicken with? I don't want the chicken to taste like beer nor do I want my kids eating beer infused chicken.
2) Is there any point in using the SuperSmoker setting? Will it make the skin too dark?
3) If I roast it for 1 / 1.25 hours (which is how long it should take to get it done) at 400 degrees, will the skin be crispy? Is it worth jacking it up to 600 for like 10 or 15 minutes to get that skin nice and crisp?

Spright , Dr Pepper, a cola of your choice.( we don’t do coke anymore, too liberal) ginger ale. U could also drink a soda and put chicken broth in the can...I have at time just stuffed a gob of butter up under the sling with nothing in the cavity...I have also stuck apple citrusy fruits in the cavity.

Spright , Dr Pepper, a cola of your choice.( we don’t do coke anymore, too liberal) ginger ale. U could also drink a soda and put chicken broth in the can...I have at time just stuffed a gob of butter up under the sling with nothing in the cavity...I have also stuck apple citrusy fruits in the cavity.
Thanks!! I'm going to do one with butter and nothing inside of it and the other one with sliced apple. For the apple, do I just slice an apple and put it in there without water?

I don't understand your comment about coke though. What do you mean "too liberal?"

Just kidding about coke...I don’t like the taste of Pepsi, coke had some dumb announcement about “be less white” blm training snafu, recently. Coke is good too. Had a whole summer years ago when I was drinking a whole 6 pack of Pepsi a day, I still to this day DONT like Pepsi cola. I’ve used whole apples, but normally sliced in quarters.

Just kidding about coke...I don’t like the taste of Pepsi, coke had some dumb announcement about “be less white” blm training snafu, recently. Coke is good too. Had a whole summer years ago when I was drinking a whole 6 pack of Pepsi a day, I still to this day DONT like Pepsi cola. I’ve used whole apples, but normally sliced in quarters.
Thanks, King... as for the butter, you recommend how many tablespoons? like 2? Also, do you know about my other questions up above for the skin crispness?

At least two tbsp. I’ve used olive oil base on the skin to help with skin crispness. I must say I have struggled on the SF to get crisp skin on chicken. I believe the key Is higher temp at the end of cooking. In all honesty I prefer whole chicken, or large pieces on the kettle, with charcoal.

At least two tbsp. I’ve used olive oil base on the skin to help with skin crispness. I must say I have struggled on the SF to get crisp skin on chicken. I believe the key Is higher temp at the end of cooking.
Yea I planned to cover the skin in olive oil. I'm going to crank it up to like 500 when the internal hits 150.

Final result!! The issue is that the wife bought two completely different sized chickens. I had to take one off early and crisp it in the oven on broil, the larger one I was able to jack up the temperature to 525 for the last 15 minutes to get it crispier. I now know that it needs about 20 minutes at the higher temp.

Attachments

• 3BB4261A-9E8B-4DF7-B796-44F0F67012FF.jpeg
    3BB4261A-9E8B-4DF7-B796-44F0F67012FF.jpeg
    471.6 KB · Views: 24
How did it turn out?

I see the pick, it’s kinda blurry. But I don’t see how it tasted what temps or times...

If you tap on the pic itself it will drop down another tab, tap on that tab then hit done it will be a clearer pic. I use an iPhone, so I can’t speak for what android does. You do have to hit edit first

I see the pick, it’s kinda blurry. But I don’t see how it tasted what temps or times...
Had them both on at 400 from 5pm to 540pm at which point the smaller of the 2 chickens reached 165, put it in the oven and the bigger bird was still at like 145 at that point, cranked up the hear to 525 and roasted it while the smaller one was in the oven on broil. By about 555pm the larger bird was at 165, and the smaller bird was in the oven on broil long enough to be nice and brown.

Attachments

• tempImagenQoZ58.png
    tempImagenQoZ58.png
    3 MB · Views: 8
Looks nice n juicy! I was planning on a pork shoulder for tomorrow, might change to chicken

Looks nice n juicy! I was planning on a pork shoulder for tomorrow, might change to chicken
One chicken was cooked with butter in the tray and the other with apple. I'd stick with butter.

I also recommend jacking it up to 600 when it hits 150 or 525 when it hits 140.

Back