Power Cord Question

G_Gryphon

Reaction score
All,

I have a new 2nd Gen EX6 on the way to be delivered around November 2nd. In some of the other threads concerning fuses, etc. and in looking at the manual, it seems that if you must use an extension cord, use one at least 12 or 14 gauge and as short as possible. In fact, the manual states 14-gauge and no more than 13 feet.

So, with that in mind, may I ask someone to please measure the length of the power cord on their SF? That way, I'll be able to get an extension cord that is just long enough to reach the nearest outlet where I plan to use the grill. I haven't seen this information posted anywhere else.

Thank you!

All,

I have a new 2nd Gen EX6 on the way to be delivered around November 2nd. In some of the other threads concerning fuses, etc. and in looking at the manual, it seems that if you must use an extension cord, use one at least 12 or 14 gauge and as short as possible. In fact, the manual states 14-gauge and no more than 13 feet. I do not use 14 gauge extension cords for anything except a couple of low watt Christmas lights.

So, with that in mind, may I ask someone to please measure the length of the power cord on their SF? That way, I'll be able to get an extension cord that is just long enough to reach the nearest outlet where I plan to use the grill. I haven't seen this information posted anywhere else.

Thank you!
If you use a 12/3 or heavier (10/3) extension cord you should not have an issue with an extension cord of up to 15 feet. The cord on the SF is about 4-5 feet long.

It is also very important that the extension cord be plugged into a GFIC protected circuit, preferably one without large draw appliances on it.

I think the cord is at least 6’ long but I’m not at home to measure it. Might be even longer.

I think the cord is at least 6’ long but I’m not at home to measure it. Might be even longer.
You are probably right (pouring rain and too lazy to go out and measure), but my outdoor power outlet is to the left of the grill, so it’s practical working distance dictates that I need an extension cord anyway. Plus, I tend to move my e 4 around a lot, both to keep the display out of the sun (visibility) as well as the wind.

You are probably right (pouring rain and too lazy to go out and measure), but my outdoor power outlet is to the left of the grill, so it’s practical working distance dictates that I need an extension cord anyway. Plus, I tend to move my e 4 around a lot, both to keep the display out of the sun (visibility) as well as the wind.
Yep, my outlet is in the right and I am able to move the thing pretty far depending on the weather because like you said the cord initiates from the right side of the grill. I do the same as you with the weather conditions.

I use a 12/3 15 foot cord. It’s raining here too or I’d go measure the SF cord.

I use a 12/3 15 foot cord. It’s raining here too or I’d go measure the SF cord.
Okay, great. I assume you have not had problems with that setup? That length, along with the approximately 4-6' cord, should suffice in my situation.

Thank you everybody for the input.

Cord is 8’ I measured it.

Okay, great. I assume you have not had problems with that setup? That length, along with the approximately 4-6' cord, should suffice in my situation.

Thank you everybody for the input.
A 12/3 extension cord to supply an average 100 watt power draw from the SF plus providing a significant safety cushion. it is more than adequate, plus it gives far better weather and abrasion resistance.

Back