I had that issue
What i had to do was forget this device then repair. Then when i scrolled down the update was in progress
I put the new update in last Friday
Haven't cooked with it and all functions worked fine an did what they said
I found that my issue was related to the software update: It didn't take properly. I had to delete the app and make sure the app was updated. Once I had the newest addition of the app my controller updated. Unfortunately however, I'm still having issues. It appears that the new software updated but the firmware did not. I'm currently waiting to hear back from Weber.